• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine #1 (1982) sells for $15,000+

226 posts in this topic

but the fact is that $15,000 can do a lot in this world, and some find it questionable to use it to buy a blue label..

If you think spending 15K on a GA books is perfectly acceptable, but spending 15K on thos book is somehow wrong or immoral because the money could be put to "better use", that's quite hypocritical.

Here's a post I made a couple of years ago when that FF #55 in 9.9 sold:

Supposedly, Victoria Beckham spends about $40,000 a year on handbags. I heard another report that she spent $500,000 designing a closet to house and inventory her immense wardrobe.

“It supposedly features a leather floor, Baccarat crystal chandelier, $80,000 Andy Warhol shoe print, a computer that tracks when she wears items of clothing and a camera to give her a 360-degree “cat scan” of her outfit before she steps out.”

I don't know what the average value of the collections on this board is, but let's say it's 20K. Sounds reasonable enough. I'd wager that more half the world's population wouldn't see the difference between Victoria's closet, and your collections. Sure, they'll understand the numeric difference, but in terms of utility and consumption, I'd guess that the comic collection wouldn't make any more sense to them than the closet does. And when I say half the world's population, I'm being ultra conservative, considering that more than 3 billion people worldwide live on less than $2 a day. That means that their entire earnings for the year would barely cover an FF #55 in 9.2, and that's for the lucky ones who actually reach that $2 mark. Those same people would have to work 10,000 days to come up with my assumed average collection value, which works out to a little over 27 years. And all those figures are for 365 days a year. No weekends for over 3 billion people, I guess.

Collecting material goods of any kind is avarice. Look at funny books in the context set above, which really is the "big picture", and not just your myopic views within the hobby, and it's all the same.

Forgetting about the global perspective for a moment, wealth(which everyone here has to a degree) is relative, and so is what would be considered conspicuous consumption. And considering that we don't know how much the buyer of the FF #55 is worth, we really don't know how "stupid" that purchase is. It wouldn't surprise me if what this individual spends on his collection, proportional to his net worth, is a lot more reasonable than what many of you spend on your collections, proportional to what you're worth. In that respect, how can any of you really determine how "stupid" a purchase really is?

So, whether you spend 16K on an FF #55 or a FF #1, it's really just 2 sides of the same coin. And to AT LEAST 4 billion people on this planet, both purchases would be considered beyond obscene.

Actually, you could craft a fairly convincing argument that this post actually supports the position of those who think the purchase was "stupid" or whatever.

It's all relative, these purchases we make. You don't even have to go someplace where people scratch by on two cents a day. To someone struggling to get bills paid in this country, or even *gasp* Canada, spending as little as $40 on a comic book is "stupid."

But that's how the human mind works. It's really difficult for a lot of people - both here on this board and out in the Real World - to be able to put themselves in someone else's shoes for even a moment and consider their perspective. Sad, but modern man just ain't that empathetic

How does a book get a 10 when it does not have white pages? lame.

That all depends if that is factored into the grade at all. Is it?

I was surprised as well since the assumption is a 10.0 is a perfect example of a book. I took for granted this included the page quality.

As Steve has stated many times, page quality is not factored into the grade, but the PQ can *limit* that grade that a book receives.

Due to this, I am very surprised that a CGC 10 book is not limited to only White pages.

To may to

To mah to

Lets call the whole thing a load of *spoon*.

Ill sum it up here.....

I would have sold it to him for 15k in a heartbeat. I sure as hell wouldnt have bought it at that price.

However, insulting my "myopic" viewpoint doesn't change the fact that 99% of folks believe this is a stupid purchase. Like I said, he can spend his 15k however he (or her) pleases but I am still gonna raise an eyeborw and "tsk" "tsk" him for it. There is a line between the sublime and the absurd.

That's all im saying.

There is a line between the sublime and the absurd.

That's all im saying.

The entire discussion is about where that line is drawn...and it is different for everyone so there is no correct answer.

R.

If Wolverine had a grade of 11.0 it still wouldnt be worth 15,000. I guess there might be disposable income and Flush your money down the toilet income.

"what you collect sucks, what I collect rules."

You forgot to capitalize the "W" when starting a sentence. This also applies to sentences contained within quotation marks.

http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/capital_letters_start_sentences.htm

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. :P

lol good won. ^^

To may to

To mah to

Lets call the whole thing a load of *spoon*.

Ill sum it up here.....

I would have sold it to him for 15k in a heartbeat. I sure as hell wouldnt have bought it at that price.

However, insulting my "myopic" viewpoint doesn't change the fact that 99% of folks believe this is a stupid purchase. Like I said, he can spend his 15k however he (or her) pleases but I am still gonna raise an eyeborw and "tsk" "tsk" him for it. There is a line between the sublime and the absurd.

That's all im saying.

Fair enough. But then the only purchases that could be considered 'not stupid' would be necessities and 'sound investments'. What about frivolous flushing of money down the loo? Gotta leave room for that :-)

Look...its one thing to purchase a 15k car, or oil painting, or even a comic that has true historical value. In my opinion the buyer would have been better off buying a nice HG copy of Incredible Hulk 181....

Incorrect. Your opinion. :insane:

The buyer is definitely better off buying whatever he or she wants at whatever price it takes to get it that they don't mind paying. That is what the buyer should do.

If the buyer had bought a nice Hulk 181 instead, that would have been a mistake. He didn't want a Hulk 181 at that time. He wanted that 10.0 Wolverine #1. He probably doesn't give a hoot that the resale value might be 10% of what he paid.

I'm in complete agreement with Cap on this one.

It IS a shocking price mind you, no doubt about that! I hope the buyer's delighted to have that item which is after all rarer than Action #1's in 6.0 or better ;)

4 copies of Action 1 graded higher than 6.0.

:)

Exactly, so there are TWICE as many fine or better Action #1's than there are graded CGC 10.0's of Wolverine Limited #1. It's officially OK to put 'rare' in the ebay item description :)

I agree that people should have the freedom to use their money any way they see fit.

I agree that the person that bought this book over paid by a substantial sum.

I see no conflict in holding these two viewpoints simultaneously.

Yeah, it's like if someone paid $100 million for a thumb tack, and some people would say:

"Leave the poor guy alone, it's his money!"

Of course it's his money, and can spend it any way he wants, but that doesn't automatically give him a free pass from criticism for putting $100 million into a :censored: thumb tack.

:screwy: Man, you just breathe on that slab and it gets a downgrade... :eek:

I'd love to crack out a 10.0 and re-sub it.

I wonder what it would get next time.

9.9?

9.8?

maybe 9.6?

I can attest to this personal fact;...the ONLY CGC 10.0 I own looks noticeably BETTER than any CGC 9.8 I own! (shrug) Sorry but it's true.

Yeah, it's like if someone paid $100 million for a thumb tack, and some people would say:

Of course it's his money, and can spend it any way he wants, but that doesn't automatically give him a free pass from criticism for putting $100 million into a :censored: thumb tack.

True, but just to be a pain I must point out that the thumb tack is currently available elsewhere for much less. If you want a WLS#1 CGC10.0 you HAVE to pay whatever it takes to get the one on offer, unless you're OK with waiting around for months or quite likely years for another shot.

We all know all this. This thread just goes round and round and round...

I can attest to this personal fact;...the ONLY CGC 10.0 I own looks noticeably BETTER than any CGC 9.8 I own! (shrug) Sorry but it's true.

If you're talking a wide selection of the EXACT SAME book, then you're under CGC's mind control, and I truly feel sorry for you.

I have personally seen CGC 9.8, 9.9 and 10.0 editions of books like Origin and Spider-man1, and by just looking through a slab, it's virtually impossible to tell the difference. With SCS and other slab-related damage during shipping, the whole 10.0 grade (which I find laughable anyway, since CGC opens and does a page count on every book - thus rendering it less-than perfect) is even murkier.

Look...its one thing to purchase a 15k car, or oil painting, or even a comic that has true historical value. In my opinion the buyer would have been better off buying a nice HG copy of Incredible Hulk 181....

Incorrect. Your opinion. :insane:

The buyer is definitely better off buying whatever he or she wants at whatever price it takes to get it that they don't mind paying. That is what the buyer should do.

If the buyer had bought a nice Hulk 181 instead, that would have been a mistake. He didn't want a Hulk 181 at that time. He wanted that 10.0 Wolverine #1. He probably doesn't give a hoot that the resale value might be 10% of what he paid.

I'm in complete agreement with Cap on this one.

It IS a shocking price mind you, no doubt about that! I hope the buyer's delighted to have that item which is after all rarer than Action #1's in 6.0 or better ;)

4 copies of Action 1 graded higher than 6.0.

:)

Exactly, so there are TWICE as many fine or better Action #1's than there are graded CGC 10.0's of Wolverine Limited #1. It's officially OK to put 'rare' in the ebay item description :)

Something's undercooked allright. meh

True, but just to be a pain I must point out that the thumb tack is currently available elsewhere for much less.

No, that SPECIFIC thumb tack is NOT available anywhere else, as it's unique. Obviously, it would have to be for it to command $100 million, don't ya think?

But like this Wolverine #1, it's still at its base, a very common item that sells for very little in less-than-unique conditions.

I have a friend who makes maybe $50-$70k per year

He goes to Vegas alone 2 or 3 times a year and EXPECTS to lose about $5000 a year

He considers it entertainment for his money, and vacation time

Each time he goes, he gambles until his budgeted amount is gone

Now compared to him, I would rather spend $15,000 for Wolverine #1 because at least I would still have the comic at the end of the day

But here is my point .........

He is not a billionaire

He is not a millionaire

I doubt he has much in savings

And yet he can still spend $5,000 a year on what most of us would consider "crazy" and it does not bother him one bit

Actually, I see nothing wrong with this at all, if he was only going 1 time a year. 3x times is a little :screwy: Please have your friend call me, I'll invite him over to our next poker home game. To be honest tho, if he has fun doing it, then why should you care? My friend makes fun of me for hitting Starbucks twice or three times a week, buying my $3-4 iced' coffee. I know what it adds up to by the end of the year,and honestly I dont' care if I've been careful with money in other matters.

I agree, the man's enjoying life. I'm sure he's having a blast in Vegas or he wouldn't be going 3 times every year. the comic will sit either on display, or in a box/safe until the time comes to sell. you hold it, you look at it, you talk about it, but that's about it. In the last 2 years, i've spent over $1,200 just on boxing tickets alone and had a blast each and everytime I went. experiences are what makes life worth living, not colored paper. When your out having a great time, for the most part it's money well spent.

I have a friend who makes maybe $50-$70k per year

He goes to Vegas alone 2 or 3 times a year and EXPECTS to lose about $5000 a year

He considers it entertainment for his money, and vacation time

Each time he goes, he gambles until his budgeted amount is gone

Now compared to him, I would rather spend $15,000 for Wolverine #1 because at least I would still have the comic at the end of the day

But here is my point .........

He is not a billionaire

He is not a millionaire

I doubt he has much in savings

And yet he can still spend $5,000 a year on what most of us would consider "crazy" and it does not bother him one bit

Actually, I see nothing wrong with this at all, if he was only going 1 time a year. 3x times is a little :screwy: Please have your friend call me, I'll invite him over to our next poker home game. To be honest tho, if he has fun doing it, then why should you care? My friend makes fun of me for hitting Starbucks twice or three times a week, buying my $3-4 iced' coffee. I know what it adds up to by the end of the year,and honestly I dont' care if I've been careful with money in other matters.

I agree, the man's enjoying life. I'm sure he's having a blast in Vegas or he wouldn't be going 3 times every year. the comic will sit either on display, or in a box/safe until the time comes to sell. you hold it, you look at it, you talk about it, but that's about it. In the last 2 years, i've spent over $1,200 just on boxing tickets alone and had a blast each and everytime I went. experiences are what makes life worth living, not colored paper. When your out having a great time, for the most part it's money well spent.

(thumbs u

My weekend in Vegas ended up costing me over 3K.

That 3K was far from "disposable".

That being said.....I consider it "money well spent" .

Good times...good times.... :cloud9:

Yeah, $15K for a book speculated by the truck-load is rather humorous.

The thumbtack thing just reminded me of the "Wookie Defense". :roflmao:

0330chewbacca.jpg