• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What if the comic historians deem Hulk 180 as true first appearance of Wolverine

101 posts in this topic

Anyone know more about the first appearance of Sgt. Rock?

Didn't collectors change their mind several times about what constituted the first "true" appearance of Rock?

Didn't Marvel show Sider-man's black costume first in Marvel Age? How about Watchmen appearing in a what I think was a preview before the first Watchmen issue. I don't see these as a first app. As for an ad in a book that's neat but nothing else IMO.

Oh and if you want a good beer get Yuenling Lager.

Didn't Marvel show Sider-man's black costume first in Marvel Age? How about Watchmen appearing in a what I think was a preview before the first Watchmen issue. I don't see these as a first app. As for an ad in a book that's neat but nothing else IMO.

Oh and if you want a good beer get Yuengling Lager.

+1

For clarity: (2) copies each of Hulk 180 (and 182) in 9.8 sold at $14,250 and $7,700 respectively. Shortly after the first set sold at auction, the underbidder purchased the second set which became available after the record auction sale. For whatever reason, both copies of each are not viewable as sale pending. Only the 2nd sale copies are shown, not the auction copies.

9.8 Copies of 181 have sold for less than $20K in the last few years. Before the (3) most recent movie-induced sales, there were (2) 18K sales and (2) 15K sales. So, the 9.8 gap has certainly tightened (for the short term anyway) even though these sales are likely movie-induced as well.

However, I don't think that #180 will ever come close to rivaling #181 in terms of demand and value.

Didn't a 9.8 copy of 180 just sell for 15K or so? 9.8 181s sell for 20K. (shrug)

Hulk #180 features the brief first appearance of Wolverine. The first full story featuring him is #181. In the past the term cameo appearance was improperly used to identify a brief appearance or brief first appearance of a character. A cameo appearance can only be used if the character is a known character.

For clarity: (2) copies each of Hulk 180 (and 182) in 9.8 sold at $14,250 and $7,700 respectively. Shortly after the first set sold at auction, the underbidder purchased the second set which became available after the record auction sale. For whatever reason, both copies of each are not viewable as sale pending. Only the 2nd sale copies are shown, not the auction copies.

9.8 Copies of 181 have sold for less than $20K in the last few years. Before the (3) most recent movie-induced sales, there were (2) 18K sales and (2) 15K sales. So, the 9.8 gap has certainly tightened (for the short term anyway) even though these sales are likely movie-induced as well.

However, I don't think that #180 will ever come close to rivaling #181 in terms of demand and value.

Didn't a 9.8 copy of 180 just sell for 15K or so? 9.8 181s sell for 20K. (shrug)

What about the other 99% of existing copies? (Non 9.8's)

For example, what do VG copies of #180 sell for versus #181? Or any other grades? If you limit the conversation to 9.8's, that is only a tiny fraction of all sales. You can pick up a #180 in 9.4 for about $450, but a #181 in 9.4 will cost you close to $3,000.

And even worse, OS makes foolish errors, like calling Iron Man 55 a "brief/cameo Thanos appearance", when he's fully featured/shown in the story and appears on 8-9 pages.

Who's Thanos? (shrug)

Hes the Guy whos first appearance is in Logans Run #6

JC will fill you in! :headbang:

:jokealert:

9.8 Copies of 181 have sold for less than $20K in the last few years. Before the (3) most recent movie-induced sales, there were (2) 18K sales and (2) 15K sales.

This is weird - so you're saying that the absolute MOST a Hulk 181 9.8 has sold for over the last few years is $18K, while the 180 9.8 sold for just under $15K?

Is that right?

If people are paying $15K for a copy of Wolverine #1 in 10.0, then an Incredible Hulk #181 in 9.8 for seems like a hell of a bargain at $18K. (shrug)

I will admit that I do not follow the market for these books in 9.8, but it seems really strange to me that copies of #180 are selling for $15K and #181 is selling for $18K. If that is true it is a real head scratcher to me. I guess the obvious explanation is that there are only 6 copies of #180 in 9.8 versus 22 copies of #181.

Guest Grails

We know the CGC labels for the same issue can vary in details and Overstreet can change their position so none of that matters to me. Its all just word play. I like to keep it simple. If I collected Wolverine (which I don't) Hulk 180 is the first appearance of the character. Forget comic word play.

80817.jpg.a0c376322069c1a9cb131738812032c3.jpg

80818.jpg.0cec5b8099fb1ea7fb7e30db22b8f50a.jpg

If people are paying $15K for a copy of Wolverine #1 in 10.0, then an Incredible Hulk #181 in 9.8 for seems like a hell of a bargain at $18K. (shrug)

That has to be a mistake, and with the movie/speculator-induced madness on Wolverine, I cannot believe a Hulk 181 9.8 (even with the higher Census numbers) has never sold above $18K.

That has to be a mistake, and with the movie/speculator-induced madness on Wolverine, I cannot believe a Hulk 181 9.8 (even with the higher Census numbers) has never sold above $18K.

Last sale was $26,290

12 month average = $22,000

A Signature Series 9.8 signed by Stan Lee sold for $32,000

Last sale was $26,290

A Signature Series 9.8 signed by Stan Lee sold for $32K

Okay, so the Bronze One is on crack, thanks. :insane:

I think I understand what he was doing, crazy and illogical as it is, which was to compare the record-breaking CGC 9.8 Hulk 180 sale to the absolute-lowest, bottom-of-the-barrel, potential-EBay-scam, CGC 9.8 Hulk 181 results.

Which is kind of insane, as it proves nada. :screwy:

Last sale was $26,290

A Signature Series 9.8 signed by Stan Lee sold for $32K

Okay, so the Bronze One is on crack, thanks. :insane:

I think I understand what he was doing, crazy and illogical as it is, which was to compare the record-breaking CGC 9.8 Hulk 180 sale to the absolute-lowest, bottom-of-the-barrel, potential-EBay-scam, CGC 9.8 Hulk 181 results.

Which is kind of insane, as it proves nada. :screwy:

For clarification, here's what Bruce said...

He didn't say 9.8's were selling for 18k. He said they were BEFORE the movie hype.

(thumbs u

Obviously, but where's the $32K, $26K, etc. sales? He totally left those out, while highlighting the Hulk 180 sale by comparison.

Please read the FULL post, and not just one sentence, along with his follow-up:

Good point for sure... but I was speaking specifically about the 9.8 gap.