• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Couple of questions from a Noob GA collector

7 posts in this topic

I'm fairly new to the boards and even newer to GA collecting. So anyway, I have two questions regarding the collecting/grading of these books. I would appreciate some help/guidance on these!

1. I recently purchased a GA book with what I consider to be a fairly sever rolled spine. This is a fairly expensive book that would probably otherwise grade in the VG/Fine range. Is there a way to remove the rolled spine safely and without receiving a PLOD? Pressing? (How would one go about getting the book back to "true" prior to pressing if that is the answer?)

2. Many of the books that I see for sale are of the single staple war time books. And as I purchase books on the lower-end of the grading scale, how does loose pages affect grade? Assuming book is otherwise fine, how much does loose pages affect grade? And does the amount of loose wraps continue to lower grade?

Really appreciate the help.

Michael

I'm fairly new to the boards and even newer to GA collecting. So anyway, I have two questions regarding the collecting/grading of these books. I would appreciate some help/guidance on these!

1. I recently purchased a GA book with what I consider to be a fairly sever rolled spine. This is a fairly expensive book that would probably otherwise grade in the VG/Fine range. Is there a way to remove the rolled spine safely and without receiving a PLOD? Pressing? (How would one go about getting the book back to "true" prior to pressing if that is the answer?)

2. Many of the books that I see for sale are of the single staple war time books. And as I purchase books on the lower-end of the grading scale, how does loose pages affect grade? Assuming book is otherwise fine, how much does loose pages affect grade? And does the amount of loose wraps continue to lower grade?

Michael

1 - Yes you can remove the spine roll without getting a PLOD and it does involve pressing. Your better off asking Matt Nelson at Classics Inc. for more details.

2 - Detached wraps may garner a Green label with a notation that the wrap is detached or if it's old enough or low enough grade, as determined by CGC, it will just get blue label with a notation that the centerfold or more wraps are detached. Loose, as in still slightly attached to the cover will get you a blue label and a hit on the grade.

Michael

1 - Yes you can remove the spine roll without getting a PLOD and it does involve pressing. Your better off asking Matt Nelson at Classics Inc. for more details.

2 - Detached wraps may garner a Green label with a notation that the wrap is detached or if it's old enough or low enough grade, as determined by CGC, it will just get blue label with a notation that the centerfold or more wraps are detached. Loose, as in still slightly attached to the cover will get you a blue label and a hit on the grade.

Thanks. Pretty much what I thought. In the case of question number 2, the highest grade with a blue label that I have ever seen is 3.0. Is this pretty much the max for a blue label? Or is it possible to garner a higher universal grade with detached wraps?

Michael

Thanks. Pretty much what I thought. In the case of question number 2, the highest grade with a blue label that I have ever seen is 3.0. Is this pretty much the max for a blue label? Or is it possible to garner a higher universal grade with detached wraps?

Good question, I don't know the answer to that. A 3.0 Universal seems pretty high for a detached cover, but alas, I have not seen them all.

Michael

Good question, I don't know the answer to that. A 3.0 Universal seems pretty high for a detached cover, but alas, I have not seen them all.

Yeah, I know 3.0 is legit because VTComics has an All-Winners 1 (3.0 universal) currently for sale with label note of "Staples Removed". Overstreet grading guide seems to suggest that this is the apex for a book with Detached pieces, but since CGC doesn't actually publish grading guidelines, I wasn't sure whether or not this was one of the instances that they diverge from Overstreet standards. Thanks a bunch for your help, it is greatly appreciated. I'm used to buying slabbed bronze/silver books that are in the upper-grades. So low-grade GA (which fits my price point...) is outside of my experience.

-Cover detached 4.0 Blue label

-Centerfold detached 7.0 Blue label.

Though CGC saw fit to give a blue label 7.0 to a comic with centerfold detached, they have also given a Green label as low as 6.0 for centerfold detached.

12.jpg

009.jpg

Wow! So, very consistent (thumbs u

Thanks a ton. I really appreciate your help.