• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mutant Massacre

30 posts in this topic

One of my first experiences with the X-Men was the Mutant Massacre arc. I see that Marvel has the story collected in HC coming soon. I remember enjoying it as a kid, but for those of you who have read it more recently, do you think it's worth buying/reading again as an adult?

Just told Claremont this weekend, I still remember reading it when I was a kid in my grandfather's motor home during the summer. I love the Mutant Massacre...just love it!

:( *ahem* Allow one x fan to be the voice of dissent if you please. I am a huge X-fan and was at the time. I was in the target age group (11 years old) and I was very meh about the mutant massacre . Don't get me wrong, it started off excellent. The first battle was vicious and brutal. But after that it meandered, became a big tease, and never had any resolution.

First off, excellent planning on having your regular artist leave in the middle of a big crossover event. Oh joy for crappy fill in Rick Leonardi art. But still, a minor pet peeve compared to others.

Let's look at the story arc: Introduce new badass villains. Proceed to have new villains kick X-men . Heroes lick wounds. Heroes can't find villains, except for gratuitous Wolverine/Sabertooth battle which resolves nothing. The end? What is that? We had to wait until what...nine months later or so for a real X-men/Marauders rematch? Pathetic.

It was just an excuse to kill off a bunch of morlocks nobody cared about and revamp the X-roster. Too bad they didn't think of an actual complete story to do it in.

And lets look at the big hook of this thing: Mutant Massacre CROSSOVER. I realize now that this was probably editorial mandate, but when Thor and Power Pack have actual crossovers, but the two main X books don't, except for seeing shadows and Wolverine smelling Jean....well that was a huge disappointment.

The X-factor arc was just as craptastic. X-factor gets their asses kicked. Angel loses his wings, almost dies, the end. No resolution

Sorry guys, I am glad most of you liked it, but it was one of my more disappointing childhood X-men memories. :sorry:

So it sounds like one of those great reads that ends without resolution, which might make the collection less than a whole. I can probably live with that, especially since I loved this one as a kid. But I must admit, I hate reading a trade only to find that it's to be continued or has an open ended ending.