• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What You Won't Accept

63 posts in this topic

Seriously, I wonder how CGC would grade a comic that just stank of something foul but looked good? Maybe a comic that was permeated by cigarette smoke or had been through a fire and smelled like smoke? And would they note it on the label?

Of course they wouldn't note it on the label; that might affect the resale value!

We'll all have to assume that CGC comics which smell of cat butt have already had that figured into the grade. mad.gif

sometimes I worry that my cooking fumes waft through my

small condo and find their way into the unsuspecting pages...

slightly salmony scent 1st page thru page 7- does not affect

story... I have an off-topic question please... how do I get a

picture to appear beneath my name? I'm somewhat computer

ignorant and don't even ask about my feeble attempt that ended

up with what I have now! thanks! Dan.

Date stamps never bothered me before people started complaining about them,I was like ..Well if people won't buy my book cause it has a date stamp on it then im not going to buy any with it on.Restoration really pisses me off,color touches and such,but all restoration i can't stand.When dealing and collecting silver age books,seems like people won't take a book unless it has (1) 9.4 or better (2) off white pages or better (3)no notes on cgc label (4)staples lined up perfect (5) perfectly centered (6) no date stamps or writing whatsoever (7)Has to be a pedigree (8)no wrinkles (printer's creases to the printing impaired) (9)Unrestored and finally number (10) It has to be priced right. Now then considering some books in the silver age are next to impossible to find in high grade,alot of you have to have all of these things going on with the book or else you don't want it confused.gif And yes there are 9.4 silver age books with all of these things but then people complain that the price is too high...if you are one of these types of people,YOU! are the reason books are so expensive. mad.gif

I have been looking for an old post of mine (so far to no avail - probably 3 years old) - but in the looking found this and really found it interesting.

So, from November 2002 - the topic is What You Won't Accept.

I thank you for your gentility and consideration for a now very old and feeble man.

I hate writing more than anything, any kind of writing at all enrages me to no end...then comes foxing.

Even if you found on an old GA book with the writing "Hide the book! Ma's coming!" grin.gif I STILL wish I had kept that book!

::edited to add the word "with" - only iteration of "with" so easy to spot! grin.gif

I hate tape, staple pops and any dogears. I would rather have 5 spine breaks than one 1/2" corner crease...I just hate em.

I don't care at all about writing, date stamps or page quality (as long at they are at least CR/OW).

Grease pencil is butt ugly. If it is large enough (and they usually are) I will pass up a book with it. I got lucky on my copy of Weird War 5, the mark came off with a gentle rubbing!

It may sound funny, but I think my biggest pet peeve in comic collecting is the nasty corner bend. I'd rather have a lower-graded book with a few less obtrusive/obvious flaws than a hg copy with one can't-help-but-notice-it corner bend.

Of course, I also stay away from books with water stains and poor page quality, though I'm willing to make an exception for golden age keys.

I hate writing more than anything, any kind of writing at all enrages me to no end...then comes foxing.

But in the case of some of the genuine pedigrees, it's the writing on the book that helps distinguish the provenance....take the Larson books, for example.

Tape.

Foxing.

Moderate to Severe Creasing.

Stains.

Detached Cover or Middle.

Coupons or adds cut.

Interior writing/tracing/drawing (although a name or such is ok with me)

Things I don't mind:

Moderate Creasing

Moderate spine bends

Minor date stamps/cover writing

Minor Reader's Crease

Geez Pov. isn't amazing how many people who posted in this thread back in 2002 are no longer with us. My answer to this question is cream pages. I collect high grade mostly 8.5 or better so not too many things to worry about but I won't buy a comic if it has worse than off-white pages.

Eric