• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me ID the artists, Thanks!

6 posts in this topic

I just bought two pages of art from a local comic shop. A Trimpe moon knight page from marvel team up and the following page from What If #32. I was able to find info out about the Trimpe page online but the What IF 32 has a ton of artists: 2 pencilers and many inkers. On the back of the page there are the names Larocuque, Abel, Layton, Romita and Mitchell and there is a faint but cool sketch of mrs marvel done by ?. On the front it is signed by Mitchell. I have no idea if those names actually mean the artist or if a dealer wrote them on the back way back when. Any help would be amazing.

80897.jpg.da5780208cb7c9d6436a7c1db273d80f.jpg

80898.jpg.dfdbb19a91edae286dd3c9fa760583fe.jpg

80899.jpg.7440a3f1752576e0a8b3471edc422d6c.jpg

80900.jpg.3ea6fbf1cc7fc29fb50589b0609cab8f.jpg

Greg Larocque was the penciller. The style looks like his work.

Bob Layton, Jack Abel, John Romita Sr., and Steve Mitchell all chipped in on the inks. Most likely the book was late and in order to meet the deadline, pages were handed out to whomever was in the vicinity of the Marvel offices that day.

In your particular page, Steve Mitchell was the inker. It's subtle, but the inking on the energy crackle looks like Steve's inks. It looks like how he inked Sienkiewicz on MoonKnight.

Cheers!

N

I received additional info from another collector (Colin) that may be useful to the original poster. See below.

Cheers!

Nelson

***********************************************************************************

......... I'm sure you're right about Steve Mitchell being the inker of the Shaper of Worlds (the shading on his forearm and elbow pad are pure Mitchell). However the artwork is more interesting than that. A number of inkers jammed on that issue, with each of them inking one or more characters throughout. In addition to Mitchell's Shaper, Drewsky's page also features the Grandmaster by Jack Abel, Michael (AKA Korvac) by Bob Layton and Ms Marvel by John Romita Sr, The Unofficial Handbook of Marvel Creators gives full details of who inked which characrers in that issue:

Arishem - Rick Magyar

Avengers en masse - Jack Abel

Badoon - Alan Kupperberg

Captain America - Josef Rubinstein

Captain Marvel - Josef Rubinstein

Carina - Vince Colletta

Chaos - Walter Simonson

Collector - Terry Austin

Death - Herself (rumoured to be a pseudonym for Jim Starlin)

Doctor Strange - Alan Weiss

Eternity - Mark Gruenwald

Galactus - Bob Layton

Gardener - Rick Bryant

Godheads en masse - Bob Wiacek

Grandmaster - Jack Abel

Guardians en masse - Al Milgrom

Hercules - Bob Layton

High Evolutionary - Larry Hama

Humanity - John Tartaglione

Immortus - Klaus Janson

In-Betweener - Al Milgrom

Iron Man - Bob Layton

Jocasta - Herb Trimpe

Korvac (Human) - Bob Layton

Korvac (Energy) - Jack Abel

Korvac (Ultimate) - Josef Rubinstein

Living Tribunal - Marie Severin

Moondragon - Frank Miller

Ms. Marvel - John Romita Sr.

Odin - Frank Giacoia

Order - Walter Simonson

Phoenix - Dave Cockrum

Shaper of the Worlds - Steve Mitchell

Silver Surfer - Ron Wilson

Starhawk -Al Milgrom

Stranger - Bob Wiacek

Thor - Jack Abel

Universal Armada - Rick Magyar

Vision - Dave Simons

Watcher(s) - Josef Rubinstein

Wonder Man - Dave Simons

Zeus - John Byrne

The Ms Marvel sketch is too faint for me to make out, but its artist is likely to be one of Greg LaRocque, John Romita Sr or the late Mark Gruenwald, the issue's writer, who also provided layouts for the issue..

Thanks

Colin

************************************************************************************