• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ROM #1

22 posts in this topic

What happened to the market on this book(CGC 9.8)?

Is it me or was this book selling in upwards of $300 EASY approximately 6-8 mos ago? You'll be lucky to get $150 nowadays.

Was this some sort of short term buzz?

Possible movie speculation?

Did one sell for $400 and everyone dug deep in their crates, slabbed their 9.8s and flooded the market?

What happened to the market on this book(CGC 9.8)?

Is it me or was this book selling in upwards of $300 EASY approximately 6-8 mos ago? You'll be lucky to get $150 nowadays.

Was this some sort of short term buzz?

Possible movie speculation?

Did one sell for $400 and everyone dug deep in their crates, slabbed their 9.8s and flooded the market?

Supply and demand. Increasing HG census numbers puts downward pressure on the market prices.

come on, it is a book easily found in $1 (or 50 cent or 25 cent) boxes at shows in NM condition (or at least it was easily found 5 years ago, which is about when I stopped buying them after deciding "jeez, how many of these do I need, I don't even like Rom"), some of those NMs are actually 9.8s, people see $300, they take a close look at their 75 copies of Rom #1 and decide 5-10 of them have a shot, they submit them, 3 come back 9.8s, multiply this times 30 or 40 people with big stacks of this book and voila, the market is demolished. it's going to be the same story for any speculated on book and Rom 1 was bought in huge quantities and did not get sold out on the newstand, with dealers getting stuck with cases of them they have been trying to get their money back on for the last 25 years.

The book was going for between $300-$500 for the past 3 years, up until this spring. The people you refer to were awfully slow to send their 9.8s in.... hm

Simple supply & demand and production, my friend. :/2c

And, I for one am glad. I've been meaning to do a nice run of Rom. Really loved that book as a kid.

a lot of people procrastinate. i have boxes of potential candidates I've been saying "I should send these to CGC"..did they ever get sent? no. for one, i have a tough time justifying spending thousands on slabs. ditto for dealers who may not even be paying attention to slabbing. my LCS doesn't really encapsulate even though they get the rare variants and what not because they do enough volume. i know a sharp copy of ROM #1 would likely go straight to the dollar box at my LCS because that's what it's been sent to for many years...even if OPG has some sort of $15-$20 absurdity for it. maybe they'd take a shot at charging $3 for it. not everyone is thinking about finding those 9.8s and to a lot of people who have been doing it for a while, sending dollar books in to become $300 slabs is almost beyond their comprehension.

what do micronauts 1s in 9.8 go for?

moon knight 1 (original series)?

dazzler 1?

alpha flight 1?

new mutants 1?

just curious.

were i to take out a third mortgage on my home and enslabulate the books that might be worth entombing, i would subscribe. it's just that $200-$300 for these speculated on books even in 9.8 seems kindah mind boggling even if they're 25-30 years old. taking encapsulation out of the equation, and none of them are books anyone cares about at this point (none are firsts except for Rom and I kindah think the main reason people might care about Rom is some feeling it might be brought back in some form or another)...true, the same can be said of new mutants 98, which fetches crazy money too and is uber common, but at least that's a first of a character that has a pretty loyal following. when x-force 2 in 9.8 fetches crazy triple digit money I'll begin to wonder (and maybe it already does, i dunno) because there might actually be a million bagged and boarded copies of that out there. NM 98 at least "only" had a print-run of 200-300,000 or so, maybe less.

Hmm, no recent sales of Micronauts #1 on the 'Bay...

Two sales in the past month for Moon Knight (1980) #1, $62 auction ending and a $65 BIN...

No Dazzlers sold, one PGX 9.8 with an understandably untouched $99 BIN...

One auction ending for Alpha Flight (1983) #1, $49 winning bid...

Two sales in the past month for a New Mutants #1 CGC 9.8, $35 auction ending and a $44.95 BIN...

All CGC 9.8, all data gathered only using eBay's ended auctions search. Interestingly enough, there was a "raw" copy described as NM+/9.8 of Moon Knight #1 that sold for $42 at auction.

-slym (honestly doesn't know what "guide" is for a raw MK #1)

were i to take out a third mortgage on my home and enslabulate the books that might be worth entombing, i would subscribe.

"Enslabulate"... classic!!!

:roflmao:

Sir, one day, I hope I can buy you a beer...

-slym (seriously, was only joking in that response) ;)

ok, those results seem to be a little more within the realm of reason, though i suppose Rom 1 might have been slightly less speculated on and is a little older than most of those... with that said, while Rom was still being published I do not necessarily remember it being a 25 cent box book (and remember, those x-men and brotherhood of evil muties apps had a "bump"), so the "all the copies were trashed over the years" theory applicable to some other books shouldn't apply so much

ok, moon knight 1 is the same $5 in OPG it has always been, but suddently the Rom books are worth something according to my 2 year old OPG? what brand of crack are they smoking? yes, i know the values are all nonsense, but if they were going to make up numbers i would think it would be on Rom's contemporary Moon Knight which actually is read by people in this milleneum (in his 14th series) and there's at least a bit of a cult following for some of the Bill S. art on that title.

and no, i won't buy into the low print run argument, one of the LCSses I frequent literally has 2-3 long boxes of Roms in their dollar book section, all in NM because nobody but me has ever looked in those boxes (I looked for the x-men apps and the last issue...and, well, maybe for another 2 or 3 copies of #1)

hah hah... a set of 1 - 15 sold for 99 cents...admittedly, they were not described as NM copies. i'll have to remember to pull out copies of this book when i rummage through my boxes so that I can collect $15 for my minty copies :-)