• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

just how good are acid-free backing boards?

12 posts in this topic

No. They are used for short-term storage. There are mixed results about regular backing boards. If you want long-term storage, the only proven backing boards are from E.Gerber.

Depends on a lot of factors - age of the book counts for many, under the headings of paper type, ink type, etc.....

I have books in "regular" bags & boards that have been there for 15+ years. Can I see anything wrong with them? No... but is something going on? Possibly.

I am not the person to ask, I guess is what I am saying.

(thumbs u

-slym

Depends on a lot of factors - age of the book counts for many, under the headings of paper type, ink type, etc.....

I have books in "regular" bags & boards that have been there for 15+ years. Can I see anything wrong with them? No... but is something going on? Possibly.

I am not the person to ask, I guess is what I am saying.

(thumbs u

-slym

Who 'round these parts might know?

Regular backing boards are actually considered to be acid-neutral. It has a ph balance of 0.7, from what i understand is safe. I dont know the long term effects of keeping your comic in there long-term. I have customers who never change there boards for over 10 years and have no complaints. Keep in mind that they are still kept in the appropriate environments.

Now, the Acid-Free boards from E. Gerber have 0 percent acid in them. They are more expensive but you can sleep better.

I am a manufacturer of regular backing and I am the only distributer for E. Gerber Full-Backs and Half-Backs.

I sell both to keep all the customers happy.

Jeff

use the expensive boards for expensive stuff and the 5 cent boards for your more common, less expensive stuff. i'm not a scientist, but it seems like the poly bags go well before the boards.