• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rules with a re-sub

32 posts in this topic

I was looked at a few of my books that have gotten scratched up cases over the years for various reasons and I i made me wonder about re-casing rules.

If I send a book in to get re-cased is CGC obligated to give it the same grade?

Yes, if it is in an untampered slab and you request a re-holdering rather than a grading. Your book will get new microchamber paper, a new inner well, a new label, and a new outer shell, but will stay the same grade.

You 100% sure about that Bob? I have had books reholdered and just the outer case was replaced.

This is how I understood it.

Straight Re holder service is only if the inner well shows no visible signs of damage. They would simply slap a nice new clam shell around the original inner well.

If the inner well showed any sign of damage they would crack it out and regrade the book.

Was this a new label with the label seam sealed into the weld, or new label with the label floating around loose at the top of the inner well?

Just curious.

I can't remember what I ate for breakfast. I don't have a clue.

You sure it was 2 minutes?

:baiting:

Was this a new label with the label seam sealed into the weld, or new label with the label floating around loose at the top of the inner well?

Just curious.

Well what did you have for lunch then?

Just curious.

Well what did you have for lunch then?

Chicken salad...no wait it was pizza.

I was looked at a few of my books that have gotten scratched up cases over the years for various reasons and I i made me wonder about re-casing rules.

If I send a book in to get re-cased is CGC obligated to give it the same grade?

Yes, if it is in an untampered slab and you request a re-holdering rather than a grading. Your book will get new microchamber paper, a new inner well, a new label, and a new outer shell, but will stay the same grade.

You 100% sure about that Bob? I have had books reholdered and just the outer case was replaced.

This is how I understood it.

Straight Re holder service is only if the inner well shows no visible signs of damage. They would simply slap a nice new clam shell around the original inner well.

If the inner well showed any sign of damage they would crack it out and regrade the book.

The inner well had no damage. The case had a hairline crack from me dropping it onto the tabletop. It never even made the floor.

A couple years ago, via a phone conversation, I specifically asked CGC about reholdering and the grade. I was told the book is subject to a change in grade and/or PQ = they do a 'quick' analysis.

True, they check to make sure no damage has happened since the book was slabbed initially. In my case this was a recently graded book I dropped only a few inches on its corner.

Sounds like you know better than I do, Joe, but now I'm confused. What happened to the notion that the microchamber paper might have a limited lifetime, and CGC encouraged that it be changed every decade or so?

Sounds like you know better than I do, Joe, but now I'm confused. What happened to the notion that the microchamber paper might have a limited lifetime, and CGC encouraged that it be changed every decade or so?

I don't know because I have never sent any books in just to have the micro paper swapped out, but I imagine there are different fees for all the things mentioned in this thread. And dependent what is requested along with the condition of the slab will dictate what is done.

Re-holder of just the cracked outer shell.

Re-holder of both outer and inner well w/re-grade due to possible damage to the book.

Re-holder and replace the micro paper with no re grade.

I imagine CGC could clear all this up quite easily instead of us guessing about it, do they have a number?

:P

CGC does indeed have fine print on their website that explictly states that original grades are not guaranteed upon resubmission. While this makes sense, because improperly stored holders (i.e. in high humidity) will cause the book to degrade, probably fast than normal because of the tight casing and lack of air flow, it is a good reason IMHO to not pay a ridiculous amount for an HG book, as their is no guarantee that the grade is "still good".

I recently did an onsite reholdering of an old label and I asked if they automatically change the micro paper. I was told no, unless requested.

i guarantee you didnt get a NEW HOLDER WITH THAT OLD LABEL...GUARANTEE THAT! so that means the inner well had to be cracked...AND A NEW LABEL ADDED.. right? cgc will not send out re-holder book with the original OLD LABELS...