• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF #14 in 9.6!

45 posts in this topic

blush.gif You can thank gman...I only check ComicLink every 1 to 3 days, and yesterday, I checked it in the early morning before that book was listed. I would not have noticed it if not for this thread!

Think of it this way...that copy is probably just one of the 9.4s from the census after a full day's dry-cleaning and pressing at the comic spa! shocked.gif This is only the second 9.6 in the 1 to 20 range that has become publicly available since CGC started; the only other one was a 9.6 copy of #6 with cream to off-white pages purchased by Josh from E-Bay in October 2001 for $6311. So my question is...why did he pass on this one? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifgossip.gif

Who said he did?

Nobody; he might not. However, it's my educated guess that he gets first dibs on everything listed on his site. Here's why I say that:

• When Greggy went to list his Spidey 101 CGC 9.8 on ComicLink he said that Josh wanted it, but when Greggy told him he was looking to get $4500, he choked...so it just went up on the site and sold almost immediately.
  • Look at the times things get listed. On the improved site, you can sort by date listed...very often you see very different books from different ages all listed within seconds or minutes of each other. That suggests to me that Josh has to manually review the items before they post publicly. I do know the items don't get listed automatically and immediately; cgcfan posted in another thread that he listed a few books yesterday that I still don't see listed publicly yet. It's certainly possible he does this ONLY to correct errors or to give his advice to the seller on improving the listing, but it does also give him a chance to pick up books he thinks are a good buy.
  • Put yourself in his position. If you were running his site, wouldn't you want to have first crack at everything? It's his site, and if he does give himself first shot at books, I don't begrudge him for it. If somebody doesn't like it, they're free to create their own competing business.

I could very easily be wrong, but it makes a bit of sense. I certainly don't have any reason to believe he uses his position to get unfairly low prices from people who want to list via ComicLink.

FF, every time I've listed a book on Comiclink it shows up immediately after I hit submit.

Well darn, wonder where cgcfan's books are then? Are other people seeing this same behavior?

Well maybe I'm wrong then. This is actually something I've been wondering about on and off for a few years...if you knew that a consignment company such as Heritage, ComicLink, MastroNet, Pacific Comic Exchange, etc was buying all the best books before they were made available to their customers, would you have a problem with it? Is this an ethical issue?

I couldn't imagine that anyone would charge you commission if they were directly buying your book.

But if they were consistently buying books directly from consignees, are they compromising their role in helping them as much as they possibly could to sell their books for the best prices? For example, say Consignment Company X offers you $1000 for a comic because they know for a fact that they can flip it for $1500 to one of their acquaintances or other customers. Is this unethical to their position as a consigner, a mediator? I would think with the long history of auctions and consignment in all markets that there are professional standards related to this type of behavior.

It all boils down to whether or not you're setting your own price. If you set your own price to what you want. And it sells, then really it's just like selling on eBay. You got the price you wanted, whether or not someone else can get more is their own problem.

If you're getting help from Heritage or Comiclink with the pricing, then yeh it would probably be unethical for them to tell you how to price it and then buy it. This would be similar, in theory, to a realtor coming out and assessing the value of your house. Listing it, and then immediately buying it. In this instance, the realtor has the ability to not only price the house but then buy it as well. Certainly a conflict of interest there.

Brian

FF, every time I've listed a book on Comiclink it shows up immediately after I hit submit.

Well darn, wonder where cgcfan's books are then? Are other people seeing this same behavior?

they are on there but no scans hence not 2 many bids/sales.

I don't need one, just thought I'd make him feel good that he got a bid smile.gif

In that case...I'll go ahead and put in a bid of $7500 on your Spidey #1. Was it as good for you as it was for me? smirk.gif

I don't need one, just thought I'd make him feel good that he got a bid smile.gif

In that case...I'll go ahead and put in a bid of $7500 on your Spidey #1. Was it as good for you as it was for me? smirk.gif

when we going to see a scan? tongue.gif