• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Report from Big Apple Convention

62 posts in this topic

I wish I knew I was definitely going and would have arranged to met some of the boards members. I just remembered about it on Wednesday and printed out the ticket but was still up in the air about going. Well, there were not too many women there, I was the one were a green shirt.

I wish I knew I was definitely going and would have arranged to met some of the boards members. I just remembered about it on Wednesday and printed out the ticket but was still up in the air about going. Well, there were not too many women there, I was the one were a green shirt.

------------------

my wife was there too, so that makes at least two. she was the blonde with the 3 1/2 year old dragging her around along with the fat guy (me) in the hawain shirt (although I wasn't with her all that much).

Good show for me:

Picked up a Showcase 22 CGC 5.0 (nice copy), the only slabbed one I saw in the room.

Picked up some nice raw books from Terry O'Neill.

Picked up a few nice books from John Haines.

Nothing blew me away in the room, but the dealers reported strong sales overall. Looking forward to getting stuff graded at WW Philly.

:sumo: :sumo: :sumo:

Good show for me:

Picked up a Showcase 22 CGC 5.0 (nice copy), the only slabbed one I saw in the room.

Picked up some nice raw books from Terry O'Neill.

Picked up a few nice books from John Haines.

Nothing blew me away in the room, but the dealers reported strong sales overall. Looking forward to getting stuff graded at WW Philly.

:sumo: :sumo: :sumo:

Are you technically part of the con? No. maybe I didn't buy much because of all the dough I dropped with you lol

thanks again for coming all that way Nik.

This was my second table where I snagged a few I love you's for $3 bucks each. The guy before me purchased a beautiful Rangers comic.

Hey, I was that guy. lol:hi: Too funny. I wish I'd known you were there! I would have said hello.

I chatted with John Haines (the dealer in your pic) for a good ten minutes or so. He came from Cleveland to work the show and buy a local collection. Really nice guy, very knowledgable about GA books. I love it when "smaller" dealers are at the convention, in addition to the handful of big dealers that always set up at every show. I can't recall ever seeing him at a NY show before.

Let's see the book :baiting:

You know... I'm actually in New York, but I totally didn't put two and two together and realize that the Big Apple Con was today (and in New York.) doh!

(We had things already scheduled for today as well.)

Dinner at WD-50 tonight...

You know... I'm actually in New York, but I totally didn't put two and two together and realize that the Big Apple Con was today (and in New York.) doh!

Chef Wylie Dufresne, one Michelin star. You should be in for a great dining experience. :applause:

Good Report. Thanks for sharing. I was there from 7 a.m. till about 7 p.m. From the looks to me, it seemed everyone had a fun time being at the show. It was on the 18th floor of the hotel which was where they used to have the shows back in the 90's. Some of the dealers got a little misty eyed cause it brought back memories. lol Anyway, the atmosphere was great, there was plenty of comics to be had from GA up until last Wednesdays new comics. Oh and there was a handsome guy there selling toploaders. :acclaim: Next show i will bring more of a selection of supplies. My van needs breaks and we borrowed my father's hyundai to bring just toploaders to the show.

I think Mike did a great job with this one.

Jeff

Oh, in case anyone wants to know (particularly that artist who complained about the last show because he was rude and wondered why he made no money), the bathrooms were being cleaned continuously throughout the day by the hotel staff.

Jeff, I did not see your booth at all at the show. I needed some supplies too. I admit that I was overwhelmed though.

Well we were set up in the dealer's room but then moved into the artisit/autograph area during the show. all we had was toploaders. no comic supplies. van needs brakes and fit what we could into a car.

O, that was you guys with the top loaders. I was looking for HotFlips to get some Mylites, but couldn't find you. I did run into you anyway, unknowingly, and bought a top loader for an OA page. You told me the one I wanted was just a bit too small, which it was, and I almost had to go away empty-handed until you found a couple that were the perfect size.

Did you have a sign up or anything? I totally didn't see 'HotFlips' anywhere.

Chef Wylie Dufresne, one Michelin star. You should be in for a great dining experience. :applause:

Saw him as a guest judge on Top Chef last year, and from the previews it looks like he's competing in Top Chef Masters this year (first episode was on last Wednesday, it was pretty good).

But what the hell is up with no PADMA!?!?!

rantrant:sumo:

Saw him as a guest judge on Top Chef last year, and from the previews it looks like he's competing in Top Chef Masters this year (first episode was on last Wednesday, it was pretty good).

I know! I think it has to do with this is not a regular Top Chef series. I hope. :wishluck:

Not sure if I could adjust to watching with out her. :cloud9:

I know! I think it has to do with this is not a regular Top Chef series. I hope. :wishluck:

Not sure if I could adjust to watching with out her. :cloud9:

Well, we're back from wd-50 and I have to say that while it was extremely interesting and the molecular gastronomy techniques were innovative, it was possibly one of the most disappointing meals of my life. (A $400 disappointment.) :(

I understand you either love it or you hate it... and I can now see how that would happen.