• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Customs for importing art

4 posts in this topic

Well the shoe is on the other foot for the first time for me. I've bought pieces from the UK before and from a couple other countries in the past, and I know the U.S. is fairly mellow on art shipped into the U.S. so I've yet to pay any customs fees on art I've received. What I'm wondering is what is the price ceiling that has to be reached before the U.S. starts charging for importing pieces? I know we've got some guys buying big ticket items on this board.

Anyone?

-e.

The US is fairly liberal when it comes to the arts. For hand drawn art or paintings there does not seem to be a dollar limit. Refer to the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) - Chapter 97. I usually ask the seller to document on the customs declaration form that the item is a "hand drawn original artwork". I've never had an issue. Lithographs, posters, giclees, etc. are not hand drawn.

As a fyi - a frame is technically not part of the art and can be subject to import duty.

Cheers!

N

:grin:

This would be large piece coming from a UK artist into the States. Just wondering what the threshold is before the taxes kick in.

However if it's declared as Original Painting, according to the schedule posted above its free regardless of price. Funny since going the other way, declaring anything as original art is taxed heavily or not even allowed by shipping companies in some cases.

-e.