• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman Reborn

43 posts in this topic

So I picked up Batman #687 and Batman & Robin #1 today, and after reading them I've got mixed feelings about the whole 'Batman Reborn' thing.

Batman #687 was a very good read. Judd Winnick is a welcome scribe back on the Batbook, this is much stronger than his last Bat-stint. There are some real depths to the characters, especially Alfred.

Ed Benes' art is gripping to look at too. He reminds me of a cross between Jim Lee and Whilce Portacio, I loved it from the first panel. Again, his Alfred is amazing, it's great to see the old dude handled so well.

Batman & Robin #1. hm I can't make my mind up. I'm not Morrison's biggest fan anyway, but at least this was straight to the point. The end of the book was much better than the beginning with a plotline unfolding that would be very at home in a Vertigo book.

I'm struggling with a flying Batmobile though, if it was Morrison's idea (which I presume it is) then it's equally as bad as RIP.

All in all at the moment I think the main Bat title will carry the new Batman and Robin pairing much better. I'll stick with B&R though, it will be interesting to see where it goes...

Its 2009 Gents, I think w/ todays tech anything is possible. I seen a month ago on the discovery channel a car that flys... They said in the yr 2020 this would be the wave of the future, I think this is what they are doing in the comic.. Giving young minds the imagination of technology that may be just around the corner??

Your right about it being a Vertigo title, thought Pyg was a bit dark. cool ! I was never scared by the Joker, but Pyg gives me the willies! :o

Pyg is here to make everything perfect.

Loved this book. The incorporation of the of the 'sound-effect' into the panels.

The very modern"flying Bat-Mobile"vs. the low-slung-cruiser. (thumbs u

The 'in character' ribbing of Grayson. The closing of the Bat Cave, the closing

of the Manor, the closing of a chapter of Dicks life, all perfect.

Damian's total lack of respect for Alfred, and Dicks almost sublime

understanding and need to connect to a part of his past, perfect.

Resembling and use of the Bat Signal followed by the soaring splash page,

well, perfect. I have always been a fan of Morrison&Quitely, and this book is a

great read, and a fun ride, looking foward to the next issue.

I enjoyed Batman and Robin, but I am a little worried about Quitely leaving the art duites after only a few issues.

He will be doing the opening arc of three books, and will be doing the closing arc

of three books. Six out of the nine is fine by me.

I too enjoyed Bats #687 over Batman Robin #1 ..

Bats and Rob #1 didn't feel like it belonged in continuity.. It felt like another version of All Stars..

For Bats #687.. it fit right in with the current situation. And Ed Bene's work is amazing.

I like Benes' work, but I didn't pick up Batman #687 it's not the same without Bruce's attitude.

That's exactly how I felt when I picked it up. But seriously give it a go, it's handled so well that when you get to the end you realise you haven't missed him all that much.

That's a testament to Winnick and Bene's work on the book. It's definitely an excellent and worthy follow up to 'Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader?'

Personally I feel Grayson is probably the best hero in comics today. He is by far the longest lived of all the heroes and has been not only trained by the best but has worked with all of the big names. If there is anyone who could take over for Bruce and pull it off it is going to be . Here is a character that you got to see grow up and become his own unique hero. With Bruce gone he would be the first hero others would turn to for assistance or guidance. Yes he isn’t the gruff and mean Batman but give him a chance.

Okay what if they bring Bruce back in Blackest Night...which looks like they will

Then it would be another stupid move by DC to have a major event happen to one of its major characters outside of his own title meh

Not trying to derail the thread Booz, if you like Judd Winnick, check out one of his earlier minis. Bolland covers to boot!

bloodandwater1.jpg

Batman sux!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

:jokealert:

I wasn't too keen on Winnick's last stint on Batman, but this last issue blew me away. I'll check this book out, nice one Jason (thumbs u

And Bolland covers to boot :cloud9:

Okay what if they bring Bruce back in Blackest Night...which looks like they will

Then it would be another stupid move by DC to have a major event happen to one of its major characters outside of his own title meh

Or an attempt to correct a major :censored: up that happened to a major character outside of his own title in the first place. :baiting:

Let's face it, Bruce Wayne not being Batman would be the Marvel equivalent of Peter Parker not being Spider-Man. You know they have to bring him back somehow since Bruce Wayne IS the Batman franchise and worth way too much $$$ for even Warner Bros to dismiss. Morrison had his fun messing with Final Crisis and now they have to figure out some way to correct things and bring him back. Right now it looks like Blackest Night is the answer, for better or worse.

Personally, I was hoping the whole Blackest Night event would have been a story arc contained to GL and GL Corps so Johns can control it from start to finish. I will have my :wishluck: that any fallout from the event will be in the none core books (e.g. Superman, Batman, etc.) so the GL storyline he has been creating so far stays intact. (thumbs u

Or an attempt to correct a major :censored: up that happened to a major character outside of his own title in the first place. :baiting:

That's pretty much what I was getting at. RIP got completely confusing no matter how many times you read it. It was marketed as the death of Batman and it wasn't. Then I have to by a one-off issue of a series I've had no interest in at an inflated price just to see Darkseid do his mess on Bruce Wayne. Basically a complete and utter mess.

I saw this storyline being compared to Knightfall quite often, and it had nothing on Knightfall at all. That was very well done, I even enjoyed Azbats. I know a lot of people didn't but at least the key story was self contained in Bats and Tec.

'Killing' Batman outside of his own title was ludicrous and extremely messy. The least DC can do is get some solid storytelling together to bring Bruce back within the pages of Batman and Detective Comics. But that would lose out on the extra $$$ Batfans have to shell out for minis they don't want wouldn't it meh