• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overlooked Issues You Are Fond of

81 posts in this topic

This isn't an "undervalued" thread, but I'm thinking more along the lines of books you like for whatever oddball reason that are overlooked in the hobby.

Here are two of my personal favorites:

Marvel Tales 100 -- I like the cover on this and I like the fact that it has some original content in the form of a Hawkeye/Two-Gun Kid solo back-up story (I'm guessing maybe Hawkeye's first solo story?). This is mentioned in OPG, but the book, depsite being a giant size, isn't broken out price-wise and is the same $3 or whatever all the others are. Despite there being a few sub-$2 issues up on ebay (more after S/H), I dunno, I think it's a more interesting book that that. I'm not one for reprint titles and this one represents some of the only original content on that title until the end of its run in the 1990's when they put some more original stories. I think there was an original story or two eary in the run too. If only Marvel had scattered some more original content in its myriad of reprint titles they'd be a lot more interesting to collectors aside from the "Marvel's Greatest Comics 38 is virtually impossible to find in 9.4 or better" crowd. Yes, while I'll look out for particularly nice high grade examples of the reprint titles too, I dunno, it would be nice if a spine tick didn't render those books virtually "uncollectable" because Marvel had included some original content. Personally, I never understood those titles anyway...in the 70's a lot of the issues being reprinted could be bought in low grade for the price of the reprint!

Powerman 48. The first Powerman/Iron Fist team-up and the first of 77 issues of them being a team. Byrne art. I believe a Claremont -script. Good stuff! This, along with 49-50 are broken out in OPG, but still, not much attention is paid. Yeah, I know, that team-up has been dead for 20 years and not reincarnated, but I thought it was the start of a fine run.

Powerman 48. The first Powerman/Iron Fist team-up and the first of 77 issues of them being a team. Byrne art. I believe a Claremont -script. Good stuff! This, along with 49-50 are broken out in OPG, but still, not much attention is paid. Yeah, I know, that team-up has been dead for 20 years and not reincarnated, but I thought it was the start of a fine run.

Good call on the PM/IF #48! (thumbs u

Hulk Annual 7

Killer issue with Byrne Art, a monster Hulk vs. Sentinels/Master Mold fight, a team-up with Angel and Iceman, and a story that ties into, and brings to a close, the classic New X-Men story from issues 98 and 99. For that reason alone, it should be a more important issue than it is.

!BUMbWJQ!mk~$(KGrHgoH-D8EjlLlzKDlBKMSuF!+hw~~_1.JPG

we'll allow that exception because the initial GL/GA team-up was maybe the start of the bronze age, so this was bringing it back?

(or did they also team-up in the GA?)

yes, that hulk annual 7 is also a good one, although i don't think i've read it for 25 years, great cover anyway!

O.K., I'll add to my own thread. Marvel Team-Up Annual #1. Joe, I'm sure you know, but this is like what, the 5th or 6th appearance of the New X-Men? While I think the guide has sort of begun to recognize this and it is broken out and hardly a secret, the last copy I bought a year or two ago came out of a 75 cent box (oh sure, it was only a VG or so, but I don't care). OK, fine, the story isn't as good as the X-Men run (did Cockrum do the art? I forget...), but if you like the X-Men and Spidey as well, this is a good one to pick up.

Oh, and while we're at it, Kamandi 59. Aside from being the last issue of the series (albeit not hard to find or anything and I think Kirby was off it by then), it has a nice Omac back-up story done by Starlin...I believe, but am not sure, that this was the first time Omac was brought back after the original series was cancelled. I did not know it, but apparently a bunch of subsequent issues of Warlord also have some Omac back-up stories. I don't know who did the art on those though (don't have my guide in front of me).

And while we're at it, the E-Mans from Charlton featuring the Byrne Rog 2000 back-up stories. The other issues featured Ditko back-up stories, so you can't miss. I liked the whole series...although I admit I haven't read them for 25 years as well!

Green Lantern vol. 3 #47 starts the beginning of one of the best modern storylines ever. Damn DC, you later ruined it which led me to abandon buying moderns altogether. (except for used trades).

GreenLantern3.jpg

No wonder I couldn't find any back then...

Hulk Annual 7

Killer issue with Byrne Art, a monster Hulk vs. Sentinels/Master Mold fight, a team-up with Angel and Iceman, and a story that ties into, and brings to a close, the classic New X-Men story from issues 98 and 99. For that reason alone, it should be a more important issue that it is.

I have a copy of that book but have never read it. Does it stand up well on its own or would I have to read X-Men 98 and 99?

we'll allow that exception because the initial GL/GA team-up was maybe the start of the bronze age, so this was bringing it back?

(or did they also team-up in the GA?)

GL/GA team-up was an on and off again thing between BA to the Modern era. They didn't team up in the GA. Issue #47 brought them back after a few years of being split up (The Oliver Queen green arrow and Hal Jordan) due to Hal and Ollie being "dead".

GL/GA team-up was an on and off again thing between BA to the Modern era.

------------------

ok, i have a lot of 80's GLs and do not remember them teaming up in those 60 and 75 cent cover price issues, maybe they did it outside of the GL series? i do not recall.

O.K., I'll add to my own thread. Marvel Team-Up Annual #1. Joe, I'm sure you know, but this is like what, the 5th or 6th appearance of the New X-Men? While I think the guide has sort of begun to recognize this and it is broken out and hardly a secret, the last copy I bought a year or two ago came out of a 75 cent box (oh sure, it was only a VG or so, but I don't care). OK, fine, the story isn't as good as the X-Men run (did Cockrum do the art? I forget...), but if you like the X-Men and Spidey as well, this is a good one to pick up.

Good choice.

Hulk Annual 7

Killer issue with Byrne Art, a monster Hulk vs. Sentinels/Master Mold fight, a team-up with Angel and Iceman, and a story that ties into, and brings to a close, the classic New X-Men story from issues 98 and 99. For that reason alone, it should be a more important issue than it is.

Seconded! A truly great story! (thumbs u