• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coverless book values?

20 posts in this topic

I watched an auction for a COVERLESS Police #29 a few days back, and was surprised that it went for as much as it did. Good condition lists for $75 and this book went for $21.50

http://cgi.ebay.com/1944-Police-Comics-29-Jack-Cole-Eisner-Gustavson_W0QQitemZ120432700337QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0a592bb1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I thought it might go for $10 - $12. Of course I realise that any book is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it, but are there any guidelines to coverless pricing? What can you do with a coverless book.....except read it. I imagine a coverless Batman #1 would draw some coin......but a Police #29 ?? Any thoughts?

There is really no set rule on coverless books. Since it was auctioned off via eBay you are up against anyone who would want the book. It could be they just wanted to read it, wanted a filler copy, or perhaps need it for a restoration project. Any of these are possible.

Typically, coverless book can sell for as little as 5-10% of good value or if the book is a key comic they can sell for significant money. Depending on the demand of the book 20-40% of good value or more is not out of the realm of possibilities. There have been cases where a centerfold alone from a Golden Age key has brought several thousand dollars.

I watched an auction for a COVERLESS Police #29 a few days back, and was surprised that it went for as much as it did. Good condition lists for $75 and this book went for $21.50

http://cgi.ebay.com/1944-Police-Comics-29-Jack-Cole-Eisner-Gustavson_W0QQitemZ120432700337QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0a592bb1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I thought it might go for $10 - $12. Of course I realise that any book is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it, but are there any guidelines to coverless pricing? What can you do with a coverless book.....except read it. I imagine a coverless Batman #1 would draw some coin......but a Police #29 ?? Any thoughts?

a coverless book needs a specialty buyer ( vs. a mainstream buyer), and this book apparently found one. There is no set "rule of thumb" on pricing ....all about matching the right buyer with the right seller ;)

There is a strong market for relatively affordable coverless GA readers. Some just want a beat up reader because their nice copy is slabbed and the GA comic may have never been reprinted (e.g. Jack Cole, Eisner, Lou Fine art collectors). Some ppl just need parts like a centerfold or 1st outer wrap in nice condition to marry their GA into a "complete" reading copy. <3

There have been cases where a centerfold alone from a Golden Age key has brought several thousand dollars.

Key word being "KEY" ;) I wouldn't consider Police #29 to be a key issue. As a matter of fact I don't consider the whole of Plastic Man to be that popular. The covers are usually gag oriented and half the stories inside are teeny bopper girly stuff. I'm workin on the run purely from a "love" position. I have had a lifelong interest and appreciation for Coles Plastic Man. I just like em.

Several thousand $$$ :o It must have been pretty important.

a coverless book needs a specialty buyer ( vs. a mainstream buyer), and this book apparently found one. There is no set "rule of thumb" on pricing ....all about matching the right buyer with the right seller ;)

If I had a More Fun #52 that needed a centerfold and found some guy selling a coverless one w/ centerfold........I would probably bid pretty high for it

I often get 25-30% of good for coverless books. The auction is in line with that.

I love buying Detective Comics on the cheap with centerfold out. It means I'm missing four pages of Air Wave... I've never even tried to read an Air Wave story once.

:o :o I thought everyone bought Detective for the Air Wave story :sorry:

:insane:

You don't know what your missing - Airwave rollerskates along telephone lines to get to the crime scenes he hears about on his helmet scanning police frequencies. How cool is that!

I would have to say that whoever that Airwave artist was.......he is actually WORSE than Frank Robbins

I often get 25-30% of good for coverless books. The auction is in line with that.

I love buying Detective Comics on the cheap with centerfold out. It means I'm missing four pages of Air Wave... I've never even tried to read an Air Wave story once.

:o :o I thought everyone bought Detective for the Air Wave story :sorry:

:insane:

No, no. I buy Tecs for Pow Wow Smith. That is why I picked up your Tec 187 last year off Ebay. (:

I would have to say that whoever that Airwave artist was.......he is actually WORSE than Frank Robbins

Someone now needs to post pictures.

Well I don't have alot of Tec's but heres the Airwave splash from my #111. Artists name looks to be George Roussos or maybe Rollssos.

Tec111.jpg

AirwaveDec111.jpg

There is really no set rule on coverless books. Since it was auctioned off via eBay you are up against anyone who would want the book. It could be they just wanted to read it, wanted a filler copy, or perhaps need it for a restoration project. Any of these are possible.

Typically, coverless book can sell for as little as 5-10% of good value or if the book is a key comic they can sell for significant money. Depending on the demand of the book 20-40% of good value or more is not out of the realm of possibilities. There have been cases where a centerfold alone from a Golden Age key has brought several thousand dollars.

I agree with Tom. That is about the range that I pay. You can purchase a variety of golden age comics at that lower end of the market value but if you are trying to compete with buyers for a popular book, you could end up paying 20-40% of guide. Action 23 (Luthor) was sold recently by someone on the boards and even though it was ragged, stained and imcomplete, it sold for a good price, i.e., 20-40% of the guide price for good.

bb

George Roussos was far from a hack. He inked a lot of classic SA Marvel books, many by Kirby, and also was one of their colorists.

AirwaveDec111.jpg

C'mon DP...... you're not gonna try and tell me that this stuff is good are you?

Plus there are quite a few key comics that are missing centerfolds. I know of two Archie 1's and 3 Exciting 9's with missing centerfolds. So a coverless would really help here.

Say an Exciting 9 in VG would sell for $2000. But that same book sans c.f. might sell for $900. A married complete book might go for $1200 so if a coverless came up for sale it'd be worth $300 plus resale of a coverless without centerfold.

Your Police issue is a different story but there you go.

Ed

Another group of coverless books. The Cap interested me.....but not $80+ worth...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270408902284&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

In that lot:

Blue Ribbon Comics #4

Captain America Comics #48

Superman #67

Wonder Woman #96

Blue Beetle #42

Another group of coverless books. The Cap interested me.....but not $80+ worth...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270408902284&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

In that lot:

Blue Ribbon Comics #4

Captain America Comics #48

Superman #67

Wonder Woman #96

Blue Beetle #42

Whoa..... :o You're good !! (worship)