• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone remember MR Monster?

24 posts in this topic

Someone had started a thread about who would win in a fight between The Goon and Hellboy, but thinking back to the same genre of book in the Copper Age, there was MR Monster long before these two characters.

Anyone remember this 80s character?

MR Monster Bio

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/m/mrmonstr.htm

MR Monster Copper 1st appearance.

21979-3274-24521-1-vanguard-illustrated_medium.jpg

The Man!

mrmonst1.jpg

I used to love Mr Monster!

I only discovered it after Miracleman somehow got cancelled on my SO and this replaced it.

I need to get those old issues again.

mrmonst2.jpg

I used to love Mr Monster!

I only discovered it after Miracleman somehow got cancelled on my SO and this replaced it.

I need to get those old issues again.

mrmonst2.jpg

Kelly :cloud9:

She beats The Goon's Franky any day of the week.

LOVE Mr. Monster. I'm a huge fan of THE GOON, too, and have noted the similarities between the two, especially in tone. No less than Alan Moore and Dave Stevens were avowed fans and contributors. I highly recommend the MR. MONSTER book put out by TwoMorrows. Lots of great behind-the-scenes stuff, including an unpublished story.

I also talked to Eric Powell about MM and asked if there was any influence. He said he was aware of the character/title, but not enough to have been directly influenced.

LOVE Mr. Monster. I'm a huge fan of THE GOON, too, and have noted the similarities between the two, especially in tone. No less than Alan Moore and Dave Stevens were avowed fans and contributors. I highly recommend the MR. MONSTER book put out by TwoMorrows. Lots of great behind-the-scenes stuff, including an unpublished story.

I also talked to Eric Powell about MM and asked if there was any influence. He said he was aware of the character/title, but not enough to have been directly influenced.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will DEFINITELY be looking that book up.

Seems like I have one of those Mr. Monster comics too..... hm

Reallllllly?

:foryou:

This is the comic I was actually refering to:

MrMonstersTrueCrime1.jpg

Same Mr. Monster? (shrug)

That's the main man.

I have #7 sitting in my office...it must have been a hot title given that in the "back issue" section you could order Mr. Monster #1 for a mere $25 in 1985 dollars!

I have #7 sitting in my office...it must have been a hot title given that in the "back issue" section you could order Mr. Monster #1 for a mere $25 in 1985 dollars!

Oh yeah. At one point, Vanguard Illustrated 7 and MR Monster 1 were hot books during the 80's independent craze.

Mr. Monster fan here, love the Dave Stevens cover. There is one 3-D issue that was harder to find than the others, so be aware.

I hadn't heard this. Know which one?

Oh yeah. At one point, Vanguard Illustrated 7 and MR Monster 1 were hot books during the 80's independent craze.

I am now on the hunt for an HG Vanguard Illustrated 7. Thanks, Nick. :gossip: