• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Transformers 2 - Biggest Movie this Summer

32 posts in this topic

My summer blockbuster 2009 list so far (only the big budget movies):

1. Transformers 2

2. Star Trek

3. Terminator

4. Wolverine

Haven't seen Angel & Demons, so I can't rate this one.

I'd put Up and Hangover in there. As far as blockbusters go, I would have to include those since Up has already out-grossed Wolvie and Terminator. Hangover is closing in on Terminator very quickly.

I wasn't excited about Transformers at all but if it is better than Star Trek, I'll definitely check it out.

Yes but Hangover was no big budget movie like all the action flicks. BTW, Hangover has not been released in Austria yet (I think July). So even if I would put it in my rating, I couldn't rate it at the moment.

Remember that this is my personal rating and taste, I can't guarantee that you will like Transformers better than Star Trek.

Am I the only one completely apathetic about this? meh

i wouldn't go see this with someone else's money. rotten tomatoes bomb = box office home run. never underestimate the intelligence of the american consumer

I'm with you guys.

I thought the first movie stunk. Megan Fox's hot little body was the only redeeming quality of the flick.

Completely agree.

My wife is more into Revolutionary Road type fare

Revolutionaty Road was excellent.

Yaaaaaaaay!

Alas, I heard this may be the last one from Michael Bay. He no longer wants to do big budget blockbusters.

Not true

Apparently he just wants to take a break from movies for a while

Ugh, you guys are such noobs sometimes. Start reading Oh No They Didn't.

"Michael Bay has made his last Transformers movie - the director is set to quit the action franchise because he has "had enough" of making big budget blockbusters.

The filmmaker helmed the original 2007 movie and returned this year with its sequel - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

But Bay, who is known for his explosive action sequences, is sick of receiving negative reviews from critics who dislike his movie-making style and is determined to move away from the genre.

He says, "It's easy to go shoot an art movie in a winery in the South of France. But people have no idea how hard it is to create something like Transformers. They (the critics) review me before they've even seen the movie."

And Bay admits that if film bosses give the go ahead for a third Transformers movie, they will have to find a different director.

He adds, "After the three and a half years I've spent making these movies, I feel like I've had enough of the Transformers world.

"I need to do something totally divergent, something without any explosions.""

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/36361982.html

(Do I believe him? No. Everyone loves money!)

And you need to read more than one website

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5185&page=2

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/LetsCutTheBS/news/?a=8064

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7048&Itemid=99

What, did everyone think he was out of his mind? Leaving behind such a successful franchise? Of course not, the rumors got out of control, and quickly, on this one.

Funny, I read the quote that Bay wanted to take a break and do something else and took it as just that, he wanted to shoot a totally different story during his break from Transformers, not that he was leaving, so I didn't post it, it wasn't news. Guess other sites took it and ran with it.

I didn't post the original rumor, but I will post Bay's response because when Michael Bay speaks, the world listens.

Michael Bay has taken to his Shootforthedit forums on MichaelBay.com and fired back at the rumormongers.

Hah, love press how they spin. Never said it - just wanted a vacation is more to the point. And no I don't read the good or the bad reviews.

I'm still sitting here waiting to see the Transformers sequel and am extremely pissed off my husband got to go see it in IMAX this evening...damn him.

The trailers for either Transformers movie are blah. I didn't see the first one until it came on cable, and I had no previous attachment to the toys or comics. However...that movie blew me away. It's non-stop action at a pleasing pace. I don't know how you can't enjoy that movie or Bay's directing style; it's a ton of fun. His sense of visual, kinetic, and aural rhythm is astounding. Yes, his characters aren't deep, there are no themes to ponder for more than a few seconds, and it's pure popcorn fare. Why is that bad? I agree with a ton of the criticism of the first film, yet I still fail to understand why that made it a bad film--it's just pure excitement from start to finish. (shrug) And the effects were just INCREDIBLE, probably the best from the last 5 years, although the Hulk vs. Abomination fight is arguably as good.

The early reviews on Rotten Tomatoes so far sound exactly like the past reviews from Transformers with people cutting it apart for the exact same reasons that rarely sound like actual reasons you shouldn't like a film. I suppose critics are glass-half-empty by nature. :tonofbricks:

What, did everyone think he was out of his mind? Leaving behind such a successful franchise? Of course not, the rumors got out of control, and quickly, on this one.

He's publically displayed before that he's quick to shoot off comments that indicate he's out of his mind. A few years ago he posted in the forums on his own web site that he wouldn't be directing Transformers 2 because Universal wasn't going to release Transformers 1 on Blu-Ray. I think he was just insulted because Spielberg was able to get an exception to this policy from Universal and he wasn't. Days later he retracted the statement.

Even though it sounds insane to say something like that, it made me respect him more for being that honest, even though it was most likely a pointless thing for him to do.

Yaaaaaaaay!

Alas, I heard this may be the last one from Michael Bay. He no longer wants to do big budget blockbusters.

Not true

"Michael Bay has made his last Transformers movie - the director is set to quit the action franchise because he has "had enough" of making big budget blockbusters.

The filmmaker helmed the original 2007 movie and returned this year with its sequel - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

But Bay, who is known for his explosive action sequences, is sick of receiving negative reviews from critics who dislike his movie-making style and is determined to move away from the genre.

He says, "It's easy to go shoot an art movie in a winery in the South of France. But people have no idea how hard it is to create something like Transformers. They (the critics) review me before they've even seen the movie."

And Bay admits that if film bosses give the go ahead for a third Transformers movie, they will have to find a different director.

He adds, "After the three and a half years I've spent making these movies, I feel like I've had enough of the Transformers world.

"I need to do something totally divergent, something without any explosions.""

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/36361982.html

(Do I believe him? No. Everyone loves money!)

And you need to read more than one website

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5185&page=2

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/LetsCutTheBS/news/?a=8064

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7048&Itemid=99

Funny, I read the quote that Bay wanted to take a break and do something else and took it as just that, he wanted to shoot a totally different story during his break from Transformers, not that he was leaving, so I didn't post it, it wasn't news. Guess other sites took it and ran with it.

I didn't post the original rumor, but I will post Bay's response because when Michael Bay speaks, the world listens.

Michael Bay has taken to his Shootforthedit forums on MichaelBay.com and fired back at the rumormongers.

Hah, love press how they spin. Never said it - just wanted a vacation is more to the point. And no I don't read the good or the bad reviews.

I'm still sitting here waiting to see the Transformers sequel and am extremely pissed off my husband got to go see it in IMAX this evening...damn him.

Michael Bay saying contradicting things?! UNHEARD OF!

I don't really care what he does or direct, so long as it's mindless and full of explosions.

Hope its better than the first, which was decent until it became a teen love/all-robots-destroy-daddies-yard-and-try-to-put-some-lame-humor-in kinda movie! :P

Michael Bay saying contradicting things?! UNHEARD OF!

I don't really care what he does or direct, so long as it's mindless and full of explosions.

AMEN

Yaaaaaaaay!

Not true

Either way, that's good news if you ask me... I hope he opts for the latter.

Excuse me, but he was directly quoted on michaelbaytellsasecret.com as seeing two sequels after the first movie. You didn't catch that site?

michaelbaytellsasecret.com