• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where Do White Mountain FF's Hide?

43 posts in this topic

All the grades I listed are CGC grades.

Roy: WM's do differ a lot between W, OW-W and even OW but of all the graded WM's only 4 of them ever graded C-OW.

A reason for this maybe, because it is the earliest Silver Age collection ever deemed to be given "pedigree status", with the first books starting to make an appearance in 1984. It could have been as a result of the 2nd owners who are resulting in the varying page qualities and their storage methods. Purely speculation or an educated guess, if you will :)

Jim

FWIW, I've seen a fresh OO collection where books were stored for 40 years and random books in the runs would be solid OW, while the rest of the run had bone white pages. It was puzzling to say the least.

Ditto here....an OO collection most of which were bought at the same store. They also ranged from C/OW to White....books were mostly from 1957 - 1964. I always wondered if temperature and humidity at the time of production may have played a part. They WERE printed in the North where temps and humidity vary widely from summer to winter. Those factors may have also played a role at the pulp mill where the paper stock was probably one of the lowest grades the mill produced...how much quality control would have been provided ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

God knows, as an art teacher I've seen newsprint that still had slivers of wood in it.

When I went to camp many years ago, the toilet paper was sooo cheap, that it..yup...had slivers of wood in it. You had to be careful to pick them out before using!

God knows, as an art teacher I've seen newsprint that still had slivers of wood in it.

I have seen this with both DC and Marvel SA comics and when you see it the pages are always worse off, even in the pedigrees.

It is very interesting to read the continual comments about page quality. So much emphasis is placed upon page quality and little is placed and the over eye appeal. I own a FF 26 Big Apple copy and if you know anything about this pedigree, page quality is not its best feature. But, when I received the grading comments there were only 2 minor defects and the PQ issue. The FF 26 Big Apple copy has outstanding structure and eye appeal. Again, CGC places ++ emphasis on PQ and this knocked a 9.2 copy to a 7.0 (talk about harsh for PQ grading)!

The FF 26 Big Apple copy has outstanding structure and eye appeal. Again, CGC places ++ emphasis on PQ and this knocked a 9.2 copy to a 7.0 (talk about harsh for PQ grading)!

It didn't, since c/ow books can grade as high as 9.6, and lt/ow as high as 9.2. What kills the grades of structurally sound books with poor paper preservation often is the interior cover browning. The Big Apple raw SA books that I've seen in dealer's stocks often suffer from this. CGC has always been harsh on "toasted" books, and I believe rightly so.

At any rate, it's not an issue with White Mountain books, which have paper stock that looks and smells wonderfully fresh, mixed with the heady aroma of old mothballs.

Big Apples had a large portion of their books affected by browning. From what I understand it is because the books were stored in different areas of the house they were found in.

The reason I brought up the PQ thing is because I saw a WM book with browning on the cover but that could have been an isolated incident after the find of the collection.

I definitely agree that the pages of Big Apple copies can be "toasted", but to knock a book for 4-5 grades(potential 9.0/9.2 to 7.0) down I think is harsh. You're certainly right that CGC hates the tanned pages and PQ plays a larger part in grading then I had thought in the past.

You're certainly right that CGC hates the tanned pages and PQ plays a larger part in grading then I had thought in the past.

As Bob said, PQ actually plays a very small role in CGC's structural grades. There are 9.6 books with C-OW pages. Based on what you're saying, those would be 10.0 books that were brought down because of the PQ, but that's not the case. Structurally, those books were 9.6s.

I definitely agree that the pages of Big Apple copies can be "toasted", but to knock a book for 4-5 grades(potential 9.0/9.2 to 7.0) down I think is harsh. You're certainly right that CGC hates the tanned pages and PQ plays a larger part in grading then I had thought in the past.

It's the tanning of the interior covers, and has little to do with page quality.

It's the tanning of the interior covers, and has little to do with page quality.

Cover tanning was always a deal breaker for me...unless it's a real scarce book....although I've seen quite a few Big Apples that weren't too bad....I had a GL 8 where the tanning was minimal. I also used to own a CGC 9.0 ST 116 from that collection that was fairly tanned that was definitely 9.4 otherwise...a perfect book, structurally. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I dream about the white pages that I will never see that are lurking inside of their CGC Tombs.

I hate loose pages :P

I purchased a WM duplicate in the past from you and CGC failed to recognize the book because they said there was already a graded copy. Many members keep stating there are dupes and as far as I know there hasn't been a dupes graded yet!

didn't steve filosa do a thread years ago on slabbed pedigrees? you might want to search or PM someone that knows how to search. i believe he had most major marvel titles and the slabbed books from each pedigree.

There's a name I haven't heard in years. I was just thinking about him the other day. Wonder what he's up to?