• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do you think John Romita jr. doesn't get love?

62 posts in this topic

It's all just so....SQUARE.

Yup. I think what really turned me off on JRJr was his Daredevil art. :sick:

His daredevil art is horrendous.. I mean ... who would find something like this impressive or memorable? (shrug)

DDManwofear1cover_03-01-2009_04-43-13.jpg

If that's yours, congrats. "Man Without Fear" is one of my all-time favorite comic book stories, and the covers are definitely impessive and memorable to me. (thumbs u

Thank you.

Yep, she's mine. One of the best pairings of writer, artist, inker of the era.

C

I don't really mean to pick on his work. Following Miller and David Mazzuchelli is tough. May hap I should appreciate his work for what it is and stop comparing it to the others just before him. (shrug)One of the few guys I buy sketches etc from is James O' Barr. Not everyone likes his style. I do. :)

I am a huge fan of his, more for his storytelling and the power of his art than for any specific technical reason. His work is in no way realistic and his highly stylized but I still love it.

I picked up this piece by him...finding published Crow artwork has been difficult to say the least.

Edited out the pic...it was too wide and messing up the thread.

I can't stand him. His issues on Daredevil rank as some of the worst garbage Marvel has put out, and they put out some real garbage over the years. I can't think of a single artist from the 1980/90's that I dislike more than him.

I just don't think that's right, he is kool in my book and there is stuff of his that I enjoy very much, like Eternals, that was tight. and also can get down in sketching..

I like him less and less because his art has become more stylized, much more stylized than when he did IM in the 70's or Spider-Man in the 80's.

Agreed! I still like his work but I can only take it in small doses these days. Give me back that killer team of Romita jr / Layton (Iron Man) anyday. :cloud9:

I can't stand him. His issues on Daredevil rank as some of the worst garbage Marvel has put out, and they put out some real garbage over the years. I can't think of a single artist from the 1980/90's that I dislike more than him.

If I understand this post correctly, you think Rob Liefeld was better? (shrug)

I just want to know so I can view your overall opinion in the proper light. (thumbs u

Best,

Chris

(shrug) I liked his Daredevil run.

As he is light years better than Liefeld but then how could he be worse?

I completely agree, that's why I was asking David since he thought it was the "worst garbage" that Marvel put out, and that he could not think of an artist he thought was worse during the 80's and 90's.

And to pick on the Nocenti, Romita Jr, Williamson run of stories on DD (which is widely regarding as one of the better combinations of talent and story) as the worst thing possible that Marvel did when there were more than a few X-force/Secret Defender/Foil/Embossed/junk books that were released in that time period.

C

Haven't read much Marvel stuff, have you? :baiting:

I love love love JRJR.

Always have; always will. And I love him in every period. Don't get me wrong; he's turned in some sloppy work. Most monthly artists do at some point,

but I love his line work, his hatching, his dynamism, his human form, and his sense of design.

love love love.

i like his style. i like the older throwback feel to his older art than his new but it still isn't as bad as that guy liefeld, who, to this day still can't draw thumbs on his characters (why does anyone like this guy?).

j

His run on Amazing Spider-Man in the early 1980s was one of my favorite runs on the title. When his style changed after he started doing Daredevil and the X-Men I think he lost a lot of what made his work great. It seemed to me as if he sacrificed his clearer, cleaner early style that lent itself to great visual storytelling for a more distinctive style that made everyone look the same with similarly shaped bodies.

high.gif

Rob Liefeld *Cough Cough* Al Milgrom *Cough Cough* Erik Larsen *Cough Cough*

For real though....I'm a big JrJr fan. Old and new, stylized and not so much.

JRAWDD251page12_03-10-2009_23-48-14.jpg

I don't mind JR Jnr...he's decent enough, if not exactly exciting...but that is an excellent piece. :applause:

I don't read many moderns, yet,I actually like that work. (shrug) It seems fairly obvious he changed style to become more recognizable, ala f. miller, although, apparently this thread suggests that back-fired.

high.gif

Rob Liefeld *Cough Cough* Al Milgrom *Cough Cough* Erik Larsen *Cough Cough*

For real though....I'm a big JrJr fan. Old and new, stylized and not so much.

Larsen isn't too bad. His cover for ASM 347 is one of my all-time favourites.

You're right about the other two though especially Milgrom.

JRJR is a fantastic storyteller, a skill many artists lack even if they can draw pretty pictures. However, while I like JRJR, my love for his art depends on his inker.

His distinctive, instantly recognizable pencils can be sketchy and his shadows are shade lines using the side of his pencil. He needs a strong inker that can spot the blacks for him. There's a reason why his art looks best when inked by Al Williamson or Klaus Janson. Inkers that are artists in their own right.

By contrast, I hated the way Dan Green's inks looked on his X-Men or Cable artwork. Dan is a fine inker but the styles didn't mesh for me.

As far as Ironman was concerned, any artist could have drawn stick figures while Bob Layton was on the title. Bob inked and drew Ironman the way he envisioned it. He was the first artist to draw/ink metal the way it was suppose to look with light refracting off it. JRJR didn't draw Ironman that way, Bob inked Ironman to look like that.

Judging from his fans at shows, I would say JRJR has a lot of love from the fans as he breaks out of his father's shadow. I am one of them.

Cheers!

N