• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Former PLOD FF2 goes for $1,200

31 posts in this topic

Where are the eBay Commandos when you really need them ? confused.gif

We're here...it's just that with great power comes..uh, I forget. Anyway, it's one thing to point out a suspect auction, it's another to sabotage it. I don't think that undermining an auction is a good thing.

Just know that Aardvarkps is on the list!

Anyway, it's one thing to point out a suspect auction, it's another to sabotage it. I don't think that undermining an auction is a good thing.

Just know that Aardvarkps is on the list!

There's a big difference between undermining a legitimate auction and pointing out potentially fraudulent tactics ! I don't believe that presenting a fact (a link to a previously closed auction) is unethical in any way. Let the buyer examine the link and decide for himself. If I was the buyer, I'd greatly appreciate someone sharing information which may point to the fact that I just got boned.

And if aardvarkps is part of the boards, he made no effort to defend the 2 suspect sales that were extensively discussed in another thread.

True, not reliably... but when did that ever stop someone?

From my point of view, it is certainly suspect... tho' not a sure thing.

The cut/wrap of the cover appears to be the same... but that's about all one can go on.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Trust me, if I knew for an ABSOLUTE 100% certainty that the two books were the same....I would be on this deal like white on rice. I'd consider directly contacting the bidder.

I mean, I blew up both books, and compared them side by side. I would bet $100 they were the same book. I wouldn't bet $5,000. I guess it's a personal decision as to how much proof we need before we would act.

I don't think I have a problem with someone sending the bidder a link to this thread.....and letting them decide for themselves. But I wouldn't write them and say for certain that this is a restored book, and they should bail.

On the off-chance that the book is legit, I'd hate to think I blew up someone else's auction unfairly. With Dr. Keys, he has a long, and dirty track record. Aadvarkps has come under examination only more recently. And I for one am going to keep an eye on his buying and selling.

If I was going to buy PLOD's and flip them unslabbed, I'd have a buying account and a selling account. The fact that he doesn't seem to, means he's either really stupid or legit.

"On Jan-03-04 at 04:08:15 PST, seller added the following information:

hello, i have been asked about another copy of FF#2 that i bought on ebay, it is a CGC 7.0 restored copy. this is not that copy, i am keeping the restored copy for my own collection and selling this copy. again, i would not knowingly pass a restored copy for unrestored! thanks paul ".

Well Paul, and this is of course IMO, I think you adding this line to your auction would have made me feel a lot better....... smirk.gif

" I just took a picture of these two books side by side and if you would like to see it just send me an Email. "

"On Jan-03-04 at 04:08:15 PST, seller added the following information:

hello, i have been asked about another copy of FF#2 that i bought on ebay, it is a CGC 7.0 restored copy. this is not that copy, i am keeping the restored copy for my own collection and selling this copy. again, i would not knowingly pass a restored copy for unrestored! thanks paul ".

I like to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but it is awful suspicious having 2 FF2s with what appears to be an identical cut in the span of a month. Wouldn't most people sell the restored and keep the unrestored? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The jury is still out....

first, let me state that i agree with the concept of notifying bidders of POTENTIAL shennanigans on auctions. (would that someone had given me a heads up when i was dealing with Comic-Keys).

second; i think i'd be willing to take that $100 bet as to whether these books are the same. you really can't tell much from the PLOD auction as the picture really stinks. but, i blew them both up anyway to try and see if i could lend some credence to my belief that they are different. despite the cut/wraps being almost identical, i'm almost certain that the actual number 2 if moved to the right edge just past the red word block, would comfortably fit in the remaining yellow border on the "unrestored" copy only. the PLOD copy doesn't appear to have the same amount of room.

third; i kinda agree that the buyer of the PLOD and subsequent seller of the unrestored would be dumb to try to put anything over on you guys, especially using the same ID. But i'm not sure why he'd keep the restored copy, either....

Just for the record, here are the comparative scans of the two books side by side, that I posted in the original thread about this. You decide. The only thing to remember is I think there might be a case of what I call "pixel-bloat" in the left/restored image, since it was of poorer quality.

Also, perhaps we should monitor every one of Comic-Keys auctions, and email every bidder of ever auction about Dr Keys's history. But I don't think it's practical. Course, that might really put a dent in his operations..........but I doubt there are too many people who would want to take the time and the responsiblity.

ffstwo.jpg

I got burnt by a non comics dealer a while back and proceded to contact all the buyers on their next few auctions to let them know the facts. I did this fairly dispassionately and in no way insultingly. Eventually, one of these bidders passed the message back to the vendor, who then contacted ebay, who then contacted me. They sent a very polite e-mail, "Dear sir, you probably don't know this 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif .. can lead to suspension".

The argument is that this is what feedback is supposed to be for. Feedback falls down, but if you do stick your nose in, be prepared to have ebay come along and remove your buying/selling privileges.