• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beware! Seller name change on Ebay!

55 posts in this topic

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but our buddy stckwzrd1@aol.com has changed his Ebay name - to cgc*comics!!! Oh, the irony is killing me... 27_laughing.gif

Steve, is this cool with you, that he takes that name? shocked.gif

And here's a snippet from the Board where I saw this news. One poster emailed stck and "Anyhow, part of his reply email goes on to say that (and I quote): "CGC gave our Live auction here a dealership along time ago. So our selling ways 30 years off line and 3 on line are top of the line grading or Steve B. would not have gotten the dealership for us."

Anybody know what the heck that's supposed to mean? Is he implying that he is somehow afiliated with CGC?"

???????

I'm sure stckwzrd1@aol.com's grading standards are right up there with CGC's best!

Do I get 2 minutes in the penalty box for saying something like that?

354656-bag1.gif

354656-bag1.gif.5243589b86ffeeb46e858e016fb1269e.gif

I'm sure stckwzrd1@aol.com's grading standards are right up there with CGC's best!

354656-bag1.gif

Nah, CGC's a little bit better. Do I get 2 minutes too? grin.gif

354656-bag1.gif

You better watch what you say here on the boards. Crack Wizard might just put you on his blocked bidders list 27_laughing.giftongue.gif

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but our buddy stckwzrd1@aol.com has changed his Ebay name - to cgc*comics!!! Oh, the irony is killing me... 27_laughing.gif

And here's a snippet from the Board where I saw this news. One poster emailed stck and "Anyhow, part of his reply email goes on to say that (and I quote): "CGC gave our Live auction here a dealership along time ago. So our selling ways 30 years off line and 3 on line are top of the line grading or Steve B. would not have gotten the dealership for us."

Anybody know what the heck that's supposed to mean? Is he implying that he is somehow afiliated with CGC?"

???????

Of course cgc*comics is "not cool" with me or CGC. We will be talking to ebay about this.

Also, I have NEVER approved anyone for dealership based on their grading skills, he is a submitter/dealer like anyone else based on their application.

???????

Of course cgc*comics is "not cool" with me or CGC. We will be talking to ebay about this.

Also, I have NEVER approved anyone for dealership based on their grading skills, he is a submitter/dealer like anyone else based on their application.

Well, if you WERE approving people based on their grading skills this is one guy I would guarantee wouldn't make the cut. He overgrades on a level normally reserved for what high grade collectors pass of as humor (as in "Hey take a look at this High Grade Gem! 27_laughing.gif") His GEM MINT UNRESTORE auctions are truly surreal.

I don't care what he calls himself - he's still hooking me up with some sweet sweet deals! I just won 2 big lots and a slew of early Hero for Hire for pretty cheap wink.gif

I cannot understand the position you have taken...well maybe a little? confused-smiley-013.gif Although you are getting deals, it is like supporting the devil. I wouldn't do business with him just for the simple fact that he is grossly misrepresenting his merchandise day in and day out. I am sure that new collectors or buyers that do not know better have been taken for a ride by this guy and that is not right. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I cannot understand the position you have taken...well maybe a little? confused-smiley-013.gif Although you are getting deals, it is like supporting the devil.

No, that describes what it would be like buying from greggy devil.giftongue.gif In all seriousness, I do not agree with his grading. I find it to be highly ambitious based on examples I've seen from CGC or based on grading guidelines in Wizard or Overstreet. He is still a pleasant person to buy from and correspond with and usually sends freebies with his sales. He packs very well and is not a shipping profiteer. The only flaw this seller has is his grading confused-smiley-013.gif For the cheap prices that I consistently win this stuff at, I'm happy and willing to overlook that. Knowing beforehand what to expect, I know HOW to bid so that I'm never disappointed. I know "It's the principle of it all" and all that - but at this point I think it is common knowledge, as Rob_react put it, that his "High grade Gems" are more of a joke to high grade collectors

I wouldn't do business with him just for the simple fact that he is grossly misrepresenting his merchandise day in and day out.

What he is doing is keyword spamming, plain and simple, I guess there is no excusing this, I'm just a sucker for good service and sweet deals... sorry.gif I think I may have questioned him on the grading once and got back the "grading is all relative" shpiel...I'll ask again politely and see if he will share that with me..

I am sure that new collectors or buyers that do not know better have been taken for a ride by this guy and that is not right. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I don't think ANY of his thousands of auctions have EVER taken "anyone for a ride" to the tune of hundreds and thousands of dollars. If people don't look at his BIG scans or read his item descriptions before bidding then that is their fault. He does put it all out there btter than most sellers, with the exception of his grading references. Just bid like you were shooting for a VG/FN of every book, and you will never be disappointed smile.gif

Sorry Darth...I am with Rick on this one. The majority of comic buyers probably can't grade as well as you. He is not keyword spamming he is misrepresenting. How many new buyers will be put off collecting buy this guy.

He does more damage than good. sign-rantpost.gif

I can see both sides of this argument... On the one hand, it's clear the guy's overgrading wildly, and feedback from upstanding buyers like Darth may mislead newbies into thinking "this seller's safe." On the other hand, if Darth doesn't buy these books at bargain prices, someone else will.

Maybe the solution would be to leave neutral feedback once in awhile with some note relating to "overgrades somewhat" ...? I realize this might not sit well with the seller...

I know this is a cop-out, but not wanting to damage my good relationship with stckwzrd, I totally avoid mentioning his grading in my feedback comments and fill it instead by focusing on his stellar customer service, which I truly would speak highly of. I bet if I did return any of the books, he would take them back. Since I don't expect them to be in the grade he mentions, leaving a neutral would not be reflective of my overall transaction with him.

and it is a good point, garth, that if I don't buy them someone else will, since he starts them all pretty low at $1, $1.50 each. If he starts them too high, I've seen them not sell. Combine the low winning prices with near actual shipping charges and I make out pretty well with complete readers that I was interested in picking up solely for that purpose. I would never try to come back with them on eBay and flip them at his grade. The ones I end up wanting to get rid of down the road, will and have ended up in $1/$2 boxes at the local shows...and no they are no marked NM/MT there either tongue.gif