• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jive's Heroes Roadtrip with the CFP....(Photos)

372 posts in this topic

Okay...so onward we go.....

...after our rather pricey Friday morning breakfast, the crew headed over to the Convention center (located right across the street from the Westin), and started shopping. Big Kudos to Paul (AlwaysBronze) for providing me with an extra exhibitor badge that let me in the doors early. The one I paid for in advance went unclaimed and is probably sitting in a landfill in NC as we speak.

Before I get into some details, I just want to make this one point: this is probably the best buying venue of any convention I've ever attended. There was literally everything to be had in the convention center, from Golden Age keys to high grade Silver Age to cheap Bronze to excellent dollar books. I bought a little of all of the above and then some and am very happy with the overall outcome.

Mike Miles had been complaining (in his normally surly way) the night before about all the good stuff already being gone by the time we hit the convention floor. Funny thing was, he probably did the best of all of us, scooping a number of gorgeous future 9.6/9.8 type Marvels from a new collection that Terry's comics brought to the show. He deserved all the teasing he got the rest of the weekend about his whining and crying. I think the fact he is going to quadruple his money (or probably more) on some of those gems made the ribbing much easier to take.

Friday was a bit of a blur for me, as I basically spent every minute from 7:30 am to 7:00 pm going through boxes, looking at wall stock, and finding deals left and right. Some time around 2pm, Bill (Tupenny) bought me a Pepsi that I drank in three minutes, and I had a 10 minute break around 5pm at Rick and Bill's booth, but other than that it was pretty much a straight shot of buying and searching.

The best score of the day was a small pile of gorgeous late 60s DC war books that I found in a local comic dealer's booth around 4pm in the afternoon. Most are basically unread copies that should grade out at 9.2/9.4. They are incredibly sweet and everyone that saw them loved 'em (except Watson, who turns his nose up at everything :baiting: ). What's best is that the dealer gave me an unsolicited 30%+ discount on the stack when I was perfectly content to pay their full asking price on what are such tough books to find in great shape. The moral of this particular story is: don't assume all the good stuff has been picked over until you've gone through every box yourself to make sure of it.

Other notable acquisitions included: a sharp, old label FF # 72 CGC 9.2 from Rick, as well as a hoard of high grade Marvel reprint books from his booth-mate Bob. Most of the other material purchased that day was quality stuff in the $1-$20 range, but nothing too major.

By the end of the day, I had spent $1k (mostly on dollar and bin books), and had my eyes set on a couple more items for the next day. We headed back to the hotel around 7:30 pm, hung out for a half hour, assessed our acquisitions, and made our way to Flemings for our dinner reservations.

Nik enjoying a beer:

DSCN1136.jpg

Watson being his smart-@ss self.

DSCN1134.jpg

Arex ("the Great Pumpkin" lol ) & Joey:

DSCN1135.jpg

Regarding the Forum dinner, I'm kinda glad it ended up being two different groups at two different venues. Getting 30+ Forum members into one restaurant is a daunting task. The smaller groups are more intimate, and you can actually still talk to the majority of folks at your table without getting up and hiking to the other side of the restaurant. In attendance that evening were Paul (AlwaysBronze), Jim (DrWatson), Mike (McMiles), Arex, Joey, Dan & son (Flying Donut), Nik, Rick (Detective27kid), Bill (TuPenny), Steve Borock and myself.

The food at Flemings was wonderful (well, the steak was perfect, but the potatoes were a little bland), and was made even better when my $60 bill was comped by the Manager after one of his waiter's assistants spilled an entire glass of ice water on me. Let's just say that the ice water very quickly made it everywhere, including things that tend to shrink when in contact with said cold water. I was soaked. But hey, it all worked out in the end for a cheap bastich like me. (thumbs u

Jive, all wet.....

DSCN1141.jpg

We discussed everything from comics, football, the boards, and even certain posters and recent threads. Jim (DrWatson) is a much more livelier guy in person than on the boards, and he had himself a good ole time. Arex, Paul, & Mike Miles were on my end of the table and I think its safe to say we enjoyed ourselves quite a bit.

We walked back to the hotel, hung out a little in the lobby and drank a beer or two, got to look at Steve Borock's recent acquisitions for Heritage, and eventually retired to our rooms. Watson hung out with Mike, Joey, and myself for a while longer, but sometime around 1:00 am, we decided it was time to hit the hay after a long day of comics had finally come to an end.

Tomorrow: the final chapter on our Heroes saga, with possible scans of some acquisitions.

Man, I wish I was there to spill the water.

You can spill some in a couple of weeks. I'll have figured out my silly new phone by then & will take the pics.

I think we finally broke that bad spilling habit of yours last year in Chicago :banana:

Drinks that is lol:baiting:

He spilt his drink last year in Chicago...I'd say the streak is still on.

(shrug)

I'm willing to do what it takes to help him break it though. I'll sacrifice myself.

:grin:

I don't believe he spilled any drinks in Chicago last year,

Now if we are talking about the big spill walking, thats another story. :shy:

I don't believe he spilled any drinks in Chicago last year,

Now if we are talking about the big spill walking, thats another story. :shy:

What about Greek dinner, covering the whole table?

I have pics.

:shy:

Central Florida Posse

aahh... lol

The "in" crowd.

(thumbs u

It's ok Roy.

Dont know if the CFP, could party and hang as long as me, you, Louise, and CGCworld did.

Wait till SilverRich comes to Chicago...we are all in for it. lol