• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jive's Heroes Roadtrip with the CFP....(Photos)

372 posts in this topic

Thursday:

The day the CFP had been waiting for in eager anticipation for many weeks finally arrived. We were going to make this one heck of a good time, between the road trip, the comics, and most importantly, the many friends we were going to meet (some for the first time).

I arrived at Mike Miles’ house around noon on Thursday after a 2-hour drive from the Gulf Coast of Florida. Mike give me a tour of his swank pad, let me thumb through some of his better comics and was a gracious host. We had a good two hour chat on the state of the market, Golden Age books, the Boards, and even got in some local real estate market talk.

Bill (TuPenny) and Stephen (KoR) arrived around 2pm and we started loading Bill’s van for the long drive north. However, the entire trip nearly didn’t happen as Bill very lazily pulled out in front of a speeding Nissan Murano when turning onto a busy State Road out of Mike’s neighborhood. Since I was right behind Bill, and the one closest to the 3 tons of steel barreling at us at 60 mph, my life flashed before my eyes first. Thankfully, the other driver was paying more attention then Bill and leaped over into the other lane in time. Bill finally noticed when the other guy slammed on his horn as he whizzed on by. It was at that point that Bill asked the collective: “Hey, did I just cut someone off?” doh!

Within another hour we had scooped up the Greedy SOB Presser (otherwise known as JoeyPost) and were soon on our way north. However, not before Mike snapped a picture of us with the Greggy9000. Not quite sure what Joey's left hand is doing down there, but it looks kinda like a reach-around. (shrug)

DSCN1110.jpg

Bill was tempting fate as he had some business to attend to early on our drive and had to be on his cell phone for a bit. Of course, at the time, we were driving through what was a massive red cell of storm activity on Mike’s I-Phone, complete with driving rain and minimal visibility. We cleared it in 20 minutes, but it was a “white knuckle” beginning to our little journey.

The drive through the rest of Florida was rather uneventful and we decided to have a early dinner at Sonny’s Real Pit BBQ (a favorite chain restaurant in the south) when we arrived in Georgia. The food was good, and the conversation lively. Everyone was clearly ready for this convention.

DSCN1117.jpg

We had some chat about recent Board happenings, including the recent Pressing thread started by Gary C (Moondog). Mike Miles made a comment about the author, to which Bill unexpectedly exclaimed “Fu*k ‘em!” out loud in a largely uncrowded restaurant. While it was hilarious in context, the family with the three little girls at the table next to us might not of thought so. Bill was 2-for-2 so far. doh!

DSCN1119.jpg

After the fine southern cooking, we asked the friendly waitress to take a picture of the group with the G9K. She was happy enough to play along and snapped this quick shot:

DSCN1121.jpg

Here us a close-up of the G9K, otherwise known as Leader-Greggy or Kim Jong-il's clone.

DSCN1111.jpg

The drive through Georgia was pretty smooth and painless, especially since we had a DVD player to view in the back. On the playlist for the evening? Spider-Man, of course...

DSCN1122.jpg

Joey was a very busy man early on in the trip, carefully inspecting several books with his lighted magnifying glass and well-trained eye.

DSCN1115.jpg

In fact, he was so busy he had to get some sleep later. He looks so cute, if only he had a teddie and blankie. I don't dare publish the picture we snapped when his mouth was open....

DSCN1131.jpg

Later that evening, we stopped at a rest stop in South Carolina to relieve ourselves, stretch, and snap a few more pics with the Greggy9000. Not quite sure what Bill and Stephen were doing with the backside of the G9K in this picture...

DSCN1126.jpg

But Mike seemed to really enjoy it....

DSCN1128.jpg

We arrived in Charlotte around midnight, and it took about 30 minutes to get to the hotel, despite the fact it was located only a few blocks from the Interstate. The reason? Imagine a downtown full of one-way streets where practically every one is shut down for late night construction. Poor Mike, who was driving, was having a helluva time finding his way to the hotel entrance. He wasn't being helped by all the advice from the various back seat drivers in the van. We eventually crossed over a bridge to the other side of the Interstate, found another street and crossed back over to the right street. What a pain...

The Westin and in fact all of downtown Charlotte were beautiful and extremely well kept. We were all very impressed with the city. So, with this first part of the report being wrapped up, I leave you with pics of the hotel and downtown Charlotte...

DSCN1158.jpg

DSCN1146.jpg

DSCN1148.jpg

DSCN1149.jpg

DSCN1150.jpg

DSCN1152.jpg

DSCN1153.jpg

and lastly, Friday morning before the Con at the $20 Westin Breakfast buffet... :P (and no, none of us knew it was $20 beforehand doh! )

DSCN1132.jpg

and tomorrow, the Con part of the Con Report. Stay tuned.....

DSCN1132.jpg

Who's the long haired freak?

hm

If you are referring to Neil, that's your fellow boardie Lookwhoitis.

And if you ever wonder why some folks don't care for you Roy, you don't have to go much further than questions like that....

And if you ever wonder why some folks don't care for you Roy, you don't have to go much further than questions like that....

Oh, I know why some people don't care for me and it's not because I don't have a sense of humor. I happen to be a long haired freak and proud of it. It's not like it's a secret around here so I figured everyone would get it.

Boy you Floridians are up tight.

:P

Oh, I know why some people don't care for me and it's not because I don't have a sense of humor. I happen to be a long haired freak and proud of it. It's not like it's a secret around here so I figured everyone would get it.

why don't you long haired freaks get a room!

:sumo::insane:

As I tried in a rush to wade through all the Con reports tonight even I knew Roy was just poking fun at another fellow freak flag bearer.

I honestly think Roy's hair felt threatened and acted on it's own.

I honestly think Roy's hair felt threatened and acted on it's own.

lol

:acclaim:

Try the veal and don't forget to tip your waitress.