• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heroes report

53 posts in this topic

Dan I must say that I sincerely enjoyed finally meeting you. I had a great time at the forum dinner conversing between you, Bill and Tyler. Thanks for all the advice this past weekend on some books. Now get Tyler on these boards. :)

I'm gonna drive faster this year.

Please, for the love of G-d, let this not be message board boasting. We would get there quicker if we don't have to stop for lunch in the middle of the wilds of Virginny, as well

Great report Dan!

It was fantastic getting to spend some time with you after all these years. I recognized you in an instant though, even after almost 14 years.

Hopefuly it won't be another 14 before we get to hang out again.

:)

Please, for the love of G-d, let this not be message board boasting. We would get there quicker if we don't have to stop for lunch in the middle of the wilds of Virginny, as well

You and Arex were the ones who were hungry. (shrug)

Sal is even more popular with me now that I've met him & he was already right on up there with all the other cool kids in my book before Heroes.

Got to reacquaint with ciorac after many years, that was one of the highlights of the show for me. All the rumors about Gator’s gassiness are clearly a diversionary tactic on Bill’s part.

Gator had a hell of a spread on the wall with a ton of big-time GA keys and ciorac’s gorgeous ‘Frisco Fantastics that tempted me all through the show. Many a tire was kicked at the Gator booth. And I would be remiss not to mention Gator. It's easy to see why people like him. He's one of the good ones.

Had a very nice conversation with Mike Goldman, and very little to do with comics. He had a great Weird Comics that he set aside for me at setup. Something about this show had everyone in a fairly congenial mood. Lots of nice open conversation from collectors and dealers alike.

I really enjoyed meeting Pinball (Tim) and John (jeb and some numbers that I can’t quite recall). I got to sit next to them at the forum dinner and eat some great Italian food. Wally picked a nice place - even the locals commented on it. Speaking of Wally, what a great AF 15 he has. Just a stunning book. After this weekend, I suspect his PM box is full of offers to buy. Don’t do it Wally.

Dale Roberts had great stuff, as always. I feel like I get sensory overload when I walk past his booth. Maybe that was Arex & Watson.

Didn't get to talk to Watson as much as I would have liked.

Picked up a Fight 31 for a friend with very nice colors & gloss.

Harley had a Cosmic Aeroplane book that I made the mistake of taking out only to look at the checkmarks inside. By the time I finished flipping through the book I had to buy it due to an amazing interior. Just cover-to-cover great GA stuff.

Got a Zip from Bob Beerbohm that has one of the best splash pages I’ve ever seen. When the wife gets back with the camera I’ll be posting pics.

The CFP was something else to watch. I now understand all the talk about Joey’s hair. Joey, next time we need to sit down for lunch or dinner.

Hung out with Brett Carreras of Brett’s Comic Pile for a bit. Just a genuinely nice guy with a nice crew. I enjoy seeing them every year.

I met and ate dinner with Kwan Chang, an OA guy who was a blast to meet.

Met a guy named Dino Thore who was as excited to be a collector as anyone I’ve seen in a long time. He had been out of things for a few years and was buying like a madman. We sent him over to Dale’s booth and he came back with a short stack of stuff. Must have bought a short box of 50s books.

To a man, everyone involved with this show was absolutely pleasant. I’ve never been to another show like it, including past Heroes. Even dealers who weren’t doing quite as well as they had hoped were in good spirits. Hell, it was even rumored that Richard Muchin smiled at a customer!

HotFlips was there and has a new customer for life. A very enjoyable guy to be around. I can see why he does well.

My 4 year old is hooked on Transformers & Star Wars - I managed to find two artists who have worked on both who are willing to do a piece with my kid in the art. That may be the best thing I found at the show.

Random observations:

- nobody looks inside the books they buy any more. The general approach to buying a book is (a) how’s the cover and (b) what’s the CGC grade. Everything else is secondary at best.

- PGX is absolutely terrible for both grading and detecting restoration on GA books

- Pressing was the hot topic, and unfortunately people who would really rather not press are being forced into pressing to stay afloat.

- This is creating a lot of tension, and there seems to be a rift between the two sides that I haven’t quite felt before. I don’t expect it to last as this all becomes ubiquitous, but there’s an interesting dynamic going on right now.

- There are some books out there that are pressed poorly and it shows.

- Count pages, count pages, count pages

- A ton of great books in the room. If I had a ¼ million dollars I could have spent it and been happy.

Various books I saw bought/sold/traded:

Action 9 CGC 2.0 (Q), ASM 1 VG-, 5 CGC 7.0, 13 CGC 7.5, 14 VG- raw, many others, Superman 26 CGC 6.5, a GORGEOUS Cap 28 7.0-7.5 raw, but a spine that would make Edgar Church jealous, Exciting 9 & 10, Avengers 1 CGC 3.5, X-Men 1 CGC 3.5

Thanks for the report!! Awesome work!!

Got to reacquaint with ciorac after many years, that was one of the highlights of the show for me. All the rumors about Gator’s gassiness are clearly a diversionary tactic on Bill’s part.

Gator had a hell of a spread on the wall with a ton of big-time GA keys and ciorac’s gorgeous ‘Frisco Fantastics that tempted me all through the show. Many a tire was kicked at the Gator booth. And I would be remiss not to mention Gator. It's easy to see why people like him. He's one of the good ones.

Had a very nice conversation with Mike Goldman, and very little to do with comics. He had a great Weird Comics that he set aside for me at setup. Something about this show had everyone in a fairly congenial mood. Lots of nice open conversation from collectors and dealers alike.

I really enjoyed meeting Pinball (Tim) and John (jeb and some numbers that I can’t quite recall). I got to sit next to them at the forum dinner and eat some great Italian food. Wally picked a nice place - even the locals commented on it. Speaking of Wally, what a great AF 15 he has. Just a stunning book. After this weekend, I suspect his PM box is full of offers to buy. Don’t do it Wally.

Dale Roberts had great stuff, as always. I feel like I get sensory overload when I walk past his booth. Maybe that was Arex & Watson.

Harley had a Cosmic Aeroplane book that I made the mistake of taking out only to look at the checkmarks inside. By the time I finished flipping through the book I had to buy it due to an amazing interior. Just cover-to-cover great GA stuff.

Got a Zip from Bob Beerbohm that has one of the best splash pages I’ve ever seen. When the wife gets back with the camera I’ll be posting pics.

The CFP was something else to watch. I now understand all the talk about Joey’s hair. Joey, next time we need to sit down for lunch or dinner.

Hung out with Brett Carreras of Brett’s Comic Pile for a bit. Just a genuinely nice guy with a nice crew. I enjoy seeing them every year.

Met a guy named Dino Thore who was as excited to be a collector as anyone I’ve seen in a long time. He had been out of things for a few years and was buying like a madman. We sent him over to Dale’s booth and he came back with a short stack of stuff. Must have bought a short box of 50s books.

To a man, everyone involved with this show was absolutely pleasant. I’ve never been to another show like it, including past Heroes. Even dealers who weren’t doing quite as well as they had hoped were in good spirits. Hell, it was even rumored that Richard Muchin smiled at a customer!

HotFlips was there and has a new customer for life. A very enjoyable guy to be around. I can see why he does well.

My 4 year old is hooked on Transformers & Star Wars - I managed to find two artists who have worked on both who are willing to do a piece with my kid in the art. That may be the best thing I found at the show.

Random observations:

- nobody looks inside the books they buy any more. The general approach to buying a book is (a) how’s the cover and (b) what’s the CGC grade. Everything else is secondary at best.

- PGX is absolutely terrible for both grading and detecting restoration on GA books

- Pressing was the hot topic, and unfortunately people who would really rather not press are being forced into pressing to stay afloat.

- This is creating a lot of tension, and there seems to be a rift between the two sides that I haven’t quite felt before. I don’t expect it to last as this all becomes ubiquitous, but there’s an interesting dynamic going on right now.

- A ton of great books in the room. If I had a ¼ million dollars I could have spent it and been happy.

Action 9 CGC 2.0 (Q), ASM 1 VG-, 5 CGC 7.0, 13 CGC 7.5, 14 VG- raw, many others, Superman 26 CGC 6.5, a GORGEOUS Cap 28 7.0-7.5 raw, but a spine that would make Edgar Church jealous, Exciting 9 & 10, Avengers 1 CGC 3.5, X-Men 1 CGC 3.5

Dino goes to our local Richmond show....he's got some AMAZING esoteric 50's books. He's cool as can be. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Random observations:

Dino goes to our local Richmond show....he's got some AMAZING esoteric 50's books. He's cool as can be. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Dino had some great Baker stuff......should have went back over and looked again

Of all the reports I read I would say Dan's definitely stands out. Great report and my overall sentiments exactly. Very positive atmosphere at the show this year. Lots of fantastic SA and GA books at the show. Lots .......maybe the most I've ever seen at the show.

Dino had some great Baker stuff......should have went back over and looked again

Of all the reports I read I would say Dan's definitely stands out. Great report and my overall sentiments exactly. Very positive atmosphere at the show this year. Lots of fantastic SA and GA books at the show. Lots .......maybe the most I've ever seen at the show.

Thanks Rick! You sure set the tone in the room.

I thought my "streak" down the main aisle was pretty tone setting too lol

Where you the hot blond that gave Nik the 3/4 moon shot?