• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

As a reminder to people, part of the purpose of the discussion thread is to alert other sellers/buyers about problematic transactions that haven't quite reached the probation level. If it's been 3 weeks and you've haven't heard from the seller about a $5000 book you paid for, there's no need to wait a month before saying anything about it.

Elementary, my dear Watson . . . :grin:

And, of course, to prompt action from inaction. :)

Personally I like to see the best in people. If after 30 days they're dragging their heels after the alloted time I'll pop it up. Benefit of the doubt, innocent until proven guilty etc.

I have done a lot of time payments on these boards, with some sellers waiting patiently for the first payment following a downpayment. Admittedly all was communicated and willingly agreed upon and transactions seen through in a fashion that has found me some good mates on here. But I'll give any seller some leeway on their part too.

mess happens and I understand that. The guy took a little while longer than normal but he was still keeping in touch with me. So I saw no reason to mention publicly until the 30 days. (shrug)

I'm going to have to add chainnball to the list. I paid a book off a month ago (5th May) and when it still hadn't arrrived last week I mailed him. He said he had forgotten and it was on his bookshelf.

This week (5th June) still no book, so I mail him again and he tells me it's going tomorrow. So another week after I first remind him and it still hasn't moved. Sorry dude, but I gotta put you on the list until I get the book or my $105 back.

Sorry to hear about this but members should come forth with troubled transactions to alert other members of potental problems. Another member had problems with TFL and I wonder if it saw the light of day, would Filter81 been more proactive with collecting his money.

Once I saw the trouble MuscleShark had with CapFreak, I did not hestiate to open a Paypal dispute once the transaction went over 30 days because I was alerted to the possible problem.

Agreed. Had Adam cut TFL off after the first missed payment in January and posted here, the entire community (including Adam) would have benefited. Adam could have jumped on the $27K offer he received in in March and this thread would be 100 pages shorter. :grin:

It`s a fine line, because that early in the process there still might be a chance to get things resolved amicably, so you might not want to poison the well by outing someone at that point. In retrospect, of course, it`s clear that TFL never intended to do the deal, but I have no issue with Filter giving TFL the benefit of the doubt and trying to get things done without being confrontational. Fortunately I`ve never had a problem with a deadbeat buyer or seller, on these boards or elsewhere, but I doubt I`d ever pull the plug on the deal and publicly complain about the deal after just 30 days.

I'm going to have to add chainnball to the list. I paid a book off a month ago (5th May) and when it still hadn't arrrived last week I mailed him. He said he had forgotten and it was on his bookshelf.

This week (5th June) still no book, so I mail him again and he tells me it's going tomorrow. So another week after I first remind him and it still hasn't moved. Sorry dude, but I gotta put you on the list until I get the book or my $105 back.

Sorry to hear about this but members should come forth with troubled transactions to alert other members of potental problems. Another member had problems with TFL and I wonder if it saw the light of day, would Filter81 been more proactive with collecting his money.

Once I saw the trouble MuscleShark had with CapFreak, I did not hestiate to open a Paypal dispute once the transaction went over 30 days because I was alerted to the possible problem.

Agreed. Had Adam cut TFL off after the first missed payment in January and posted here, the entire community (including Adam) would have benefited. Adam could have jumped on the $27K offer he received in in March and this thread would be 100 pages shorter. :grin:

It`s a fine line, because that early in the process there still might be a chance to get things resolved amicably, so you might not want to poison the well by outing someone at that point. In retrospect, of course, it`s clear that TFL never intended to do the deal, but I have no issue with Filter giving TFL the benefit of the doubt and trying to get things done without being confrontational. Fortunately I`ve never had a problem with a deadbeat buyer or seller, on these boards or elsewhere, but I doubt I`d ever pull the plug on the deal and publicly complain about the deal after just 30 days.

If there is open and honest communication between two parties than I agree and it becomes a judgment call. Personally, I would not come forth in those cases. I don't mind waiting to complete a transaction.

However, the last few cases had broken promises and lies about shipments or payments being make, should be outted without any excuses. It will help the next buyer/seller in-line to make a transaction with that individual.

Well, every seller can set his own limits, but frankly after 30 days . . . no ticket, no laundry. :sumo: You are kidding yourself if you think someone is going to turn it around after that. Fish or cut bait, as they say. That's why I set that as the number of days to make good in the original post.

Funny thing is that most boardies have wanted to shorten that time period, so go figure . . .

Well, every seller can set his own limits, but frankly after 30 days . . . no ticket, no laundry. :sumo: You are kidding yourself if you think someone is going to turn it around after that. Fish or cut bait, as they say. That's why I set that as the number of days to make good in the original post.

Funny thing is that most boardies have wanted to shorten that time period, so go figure . . .

:shy:

I also believe TVanderzwaag (sp) and chainnball were cited as candidates but im not sure if TV is eligible or if the chainnball thing was serious.

I also believe TVanderzwaag (sp) and chainnball were cited as candidates but im not sure if TV is eligible or if the chainnball thing was serious.

We're waiting on receipt from chainball (per communication to the buyer) and TVZ's 30 days to make good haven't expired yet - hopefully, he'll man-up. :sumo:

hopefully, he'll man-up. :sumo:

I guess you didn't see the onesie pajamas.

(shrug)

Of course I did, but rules are rules. If we held members' "persuasions" against them, we'd cut our ranks in half lol

Most boardies have the patience level of a 5-year old. :gossip:

30 days is far too long to wait for payment for a book. :sumo:

But you gotta set the limit somewhere...

Most boardies have the patience level of a 5-year old. :gossip:

30 days is far too long to wait for payment for a book. :sumo:

Or to recieve one.. :sumo:

Seriously though, I agree with the thought process of what is acceptable turnaround.

I've paid for books within the hour of receiving the payment instructions PM, waited a week, and then I'll check in with the seller asking for the tracking information. It's annoying when they come back with "Sorry, been busy. I'll get it out soon."

I think even 30 days is stretching the limit. If you cannot turn around and mail books within ONE WEEK of payment, maybe you should hold off selling until you can.

Seriously though, I agree with the thought process of what is acceptable turnaround.

I've paid for books within the hour of receiving the payment instructions PM, waited a week, and then I'll check in with the seller asking for the tracking information. It's annoying when they come back with "Sorry, been busy. I'll get it out soon."

I think even 30 days is stretching the limit. If you cannot turn around and mail books within ONE WEEK of payment, maybe you should hold off selling until you can.

To each his own but when I was selling books on E-bay the auctions clearly state 'PAYMENT IS DUE WITHIN TEN DAYS OF NOTIFICATION". I think thats reasonable for someone to sit down, write a check, and crawl to the mailbox. And now with Paypal, how long should it take? Thirty days, to me is way to long on either end of the deal. Just my 2c.

DRX

To each his own but when I was selling books on E-bay the auctions clearly state 'PAYMENT IS DUE WITHIN TEN DAYS OF NOTIFICATION". I think thats reasonable for someone to sit down, write a check, and crawl to the mailbox. And now with Paypal, how long should it take? Thirty days, to me is way to long on either end of the deal. Just my 2c.

DRX

Most of my Ebay transactions (as a buyer) are paid for and delivered within 10 days, often less. Some of my board purchases have taken a bit longer--after all many of us are just doing this as a hobby, not a business--but after two weeks I get pretty antsy.

Agree with you both, 30 days is too long -- but if buyers and sellers were publicly "outed" after a week or two, there would be a lot more arguments, and this thread will get a whole lot longer!

If a seller took that long to ship something to me, or a buyer took that long to pay me (absent any reasonable communication), believe me, I'd be chomping at the bit to report them -- and this is not entirely a hypothetical. But at the same time, I can respect that the 30-day mark is an effort to find the balance of preserving a sense of community here.