• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Agree with you both, 30 days is too long -- but if buyers and sellers were publicly "outed" after a week or two, there would be a lot more arguments, and this thread will get a whole lot longer!

If a seller took that long to ship something to me, or a buyer took that long to pay me (absent any reasonable communication), believe me, I'd be chomping at the bit to report them -- and this is not entirely a hypothetical. But at the same time, I can respect that the 30-day mark is an effort to find the balance of preserving a sense of community here.

Totally agree.

I think it ends up being a situation where some folks commit to buy something, and then the next thing they do is start a sales thread to pay for their purchases. That's too up-in-the-air for me as if I don't have the money in-hand to pay for something or pending immediate cash coming in, then I don't buy.

But if the buyer and seller agree on extended terms, then that negates any forum standard and they have to live with the timing.

I also believe TVanderzwaag (sp) and chainnball were cited as candidates but im not sure if TV is eligible or if the chainnball thing was serious.

We're waiting on receipt from chainball (per communication to the buyer) and TVZ's 30 days to make good haven't expired yet - hopefully, he'll man-up. :sumo:

I've received an email from Paypal stating a package has been shipped plus a confirmation email from chainnball. I'll post when the book arrives.

Sorry I never posted this earlier, I haven't been able to get to the PC since Friday.

Agree with you both, 30 days is too long -- but if buyers and sellers were publicly "outed" after a week or two, there would be a lot more arguments, and this thread will get a whole lot longer!

If a seller took that long to ship something to me, or a buyer took that long to pay me (absent any reasonable communication), believe me, I'd be chomping at the bit to report them -- and this is not entirely a hypothetical. But at the same time, I can respect that the 30-day mark is an effort to find the balance of preserving a sense of community here.

Totally agree.

I think it ends up being a situation where some folks commit to buy something, and then the next thing they do is start a sales thread to pay for their purchases. That's too up-in-the-air for me as if I don't have the money in-hand to pay for something or pending immediate cash coming in, then I don't buy.

But if the buyer and seller agree on extended terms, then that negates any forum standard and they have to live with the timing.

A lot of my buys on here have been time payments. All have gone well and sellers have offered me more books on the same understanding. As long as the communication stays A1 and deadlines are met I'm comfortable.

Mind you, I never say I'll take a book I know I can't afford and I always see my purchases through. :sumo:

I also believe TVanderzwaag (sp) and chainnball were cited as candidates but im not sure if TV is eligible or if the chainnball thing was serious.

We're waiting on receipt from chainball (per communication to the buyer) and TVZ's 30 days to make good haven't expired yet - hopefully, he'll man-up. :sumo:

I've received an email from Paypal stating a package has been shipped plus a confirmation email from chainnball. I'll post when the book arrives.

Sorry I never posted this earlier, I haven't been able to get to the PC since Friday.

:applause:

If 30 days was the agreed time frame, then it is what it is.

Personally, once I'm paid, if the buyer does not receive his book (anywhere in the USA) in 3 days or less, I start to worry. But that's just me (shrug)

Personally, once I'm paid, if the buyer does not receive his book (anywhere in the USA) in 3 days or less, I start to worry. But that's just me (shrug)

I complain one hour after paying.

You complain sooner then that :baiting:

He complains before he even buys it. :gossip:

Man, you are cranking them out today.

What, did you have a healthy bowl of Haa-Haa Cereal today?

I like it!

I see your point and it is well taken. Lets try and look at it if your selling, and someone wins a book. O.K. Someone win a book on E-Bay or on the boards. Now what. Oh, Ill send payment when I get around to it? I have to pay my bills for the month first? I forgot to send payment? A family crisis? I no longer want the book? Any of these could be a legitimate excuse. But most of the time, they're not, and we know it. It comes back to my own opinion, when I bid on something, I want it. I have the money for it. Thats it, end of story. I pay immediatley or within a day or two. Its good for everyone on both ends of the deal. Thirty days is way more than enough time to be waiting and waiting. I think its being way more than generous. Now if you work out a deal with the seller, or ask for more time, thats another story. Just my 2c:foryou:

DRX

Edited by DRX

I agree that 30 days is a sensible cutoff. But if I buy a book and it takes three or four weeks to get here, I'm probably going to be hesitant to buy from that seller again.

+1

I absolutely agree Jon...30 days is a pretty horrendous effort to pay for a book or ship a book. But what I think the 30 days establishes is the "horrendous" threshold if you will, thus qualifying someone to be placed on probation...even more so if the person is non-communicative and/or brings a pain-in-the-azz attitude about it to the person on the other end of the transaction... 2c

I absolutely agree Jon...30 days is a pretty horrendous effort to pay for a book or ship a book. But what I think the 30 days establishes is the "horrendous" threshold if you will, thus qualifying someone to be placed on probation...even more so if the person is non-communicative and/or brings a pain-in-the-azz attitude about it to the person on the other end of the transaction... 2c

spanking.jpg

Me, too, and there really has to be extenuating circumstances for me to wait to mail something after 1 day. I just had someone take a year to finish paying me for some books and I mailed them the next day.

The problem is, some people think that because the probation list says 30 days, that waiting is OK.

I made some significant purchases (at least for me) from someone who told me ten days after he got my paypal payment, that he didn't mail the books because "he had a life"...I'm sure he does, but it really made me stop looking at his threads.

Perhaps we should have suggested guidelines. Like don't put up a sales thread, unless you know you can mail the book within 3 days of payment.

Don't post a take it, unless you KNOW you can pay within 3 days (or have made other payment arrangements prior to posting).

When arranging time payments, please be advised the seller will require a 10% non refundable downpayment within 3 days (unless other terms are agreed upon in advance) Time payments must (or should) include a specific schedule, so there is no confusion.

When selling, buying, please be prepared to answer emails within 48 hours (unless you are hit by a truck)

I'm fairly easy going (in case no one has noticed) ...but after a while, you realize that there needs to be some kind of at least suggested standards, for the few space cadets that are just spinning around here.

Me, too, and there really has to be extenuating circumstances for me to wait to mail something after 1 day. I just had someone take a year to finish paying me for some books and I mailed them the next day.

The problem is, some people think that because the probation list says 30 days, that waiting is OK.

I made some significant purchases (at least for me) from someone who told me ten days after he got my paypal payment, that he didn't mail the books because "he had a life"...I'm sure he does, but it really made me stop looking at his threads.

Perhaps we should have suggested guidelines. Like don't put up a sales thread, unless you know you can mail the book within 3 days of payment.

Don't post a take it, unless you KNOW you can pay within 3 days (or have made other payment arrangements prior to posting).

When arranging time payments, please be advised the seller will require a 10% non refundable downpayment within 3 days (unless other terms are agreed upon in advance) Time payments must (or should) include a specific schedule, so there is no confusion.

When selling, buying, please be prepared to answer emails within 48 hours (unless you are hit by a truck)

I'm fairly easy going (in case no one has noticed) ...but after a while, you realize that there needs to be some kind of at least suggested standards, for the few space cadets that are just spinning around here.

I wholeheartedly agree with nik and skypinkblu...I always ship the day or day after I receive payment unless there is some extenuating circumstance like I get called out of town at the last minute or something...and then I ALWAYS communicate to the buyer what is going on...and I ALWAYS send confirmation via PM or email when the book(s) has been shipped...

Payments are easy...I PP immediately after purchasing if that is how I'm paying, or communicate well during time payments and letting the seller know when my payments are sent if they are by money order/check...

I would suggest as a minimum standard what I state in my eBay auctions...COMMUNICATION is expected within 48 hours...PAYMENT is expected within 72 hours and no later than 7 days after close of auction (some people might think 10 days is reasonable as it aligns with the PP rules)...

as Blu states...unless you've been run over by a truck! :sumo:

I ship by the weekend following payment received...that's the best I can do. Since most of my purchases involve time payments it varies.I, too, agree that 30 days is extreme...but it certainly allows enough time to over ride almost any excuse. If I have purchased an item and even 3 weeks have gone by, I'm initiating a paypal dispute and cancelling my payment....then I will listen to excuses.To me it's about communication....I'm not an upper level income guy and I know how it is to be overextended. Just let someone know. 30 days is more than fair...it shouldn't be any longer than that. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u