• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

He won't admit he's sold them miracle. And he's refused to answer any attempts of mine to contact him for about 2.5 months now. And come christmas, I give it 100 to 1 odds that I don't recieve anything. The question isn't what sort of compensation I'll recieve for the ones he's sold. The question is whether I can get him on the hall of shame list or not for this obvious fraud on his part.

As for pulps of value, there were about 10 worth 100 each, 20 or so worth 50 each, 100 or so worth 15-25 each, and a little over 200ish worth 10 or so each (this last group was mostly argosys; all these dollar value numbers are my estimates, his were higher). Dont bother trying to add the numbers up. Youll come up with a number higher then 3600. I got a decent deal since I bought his entiring remaining pulp inventory at once. He valued the pulps at something around 7200 when he came up with the list (hence my offer at 3600). I'd think the fact that he still has some of the pulps for sale on ebay and has put them up on discount sales since his Nov. 25 post has got to be evidence enough he's screwing me, if you don't have enough already.

I'd really just prefer my money back. He can't complete the deal any more. (Can't mail what you don't have). But he says he's broke. The turd could always mail everything he does have from the list and throw in a few golden age comics of equivalent value to make up for the stuff he's sold. But at this point I have no doubt he's decided to just keep the money and the items. He's hardly hiding it anymore.

Besides the obvious HOS nomination, is there any legal recourse. Can he be charged with Fraud or theft or? He admit's he has the money, and he also admit's that the pulps have not been shipped (shrug)

He won't admit he's sold them miracle. And he's refused to answer any attempts of mine to contact him for about 2.5 months now. And come christmas, I give it 100 to 1 odds that I don't recieve anything. The question isn't what sort of compensation I'll recieve for the ones he's sold. The question is whether I can get him on the hall of shame list or not for this obvious fraud on his part.

As for pulps of value, there were about 10 worth 100 each, 20 or so worth 50 each, 100 or so worth 15-25 each, and a little over 200ish worth 10 or so each (this last group was mostly argosys; all these dollar value numbers are my estimates, his were higher). Dont bother trying to add the numbers up. Youll come up with a number higher then 3600. I got a decent deal since I bought his entiring remaining pulp inventory at once. He valued the pulps at something around 7200 when he came up with the list (hence my offer at 3600). I'd think the fact that he still has some of the pulps for sale on ebay and has put them up on discount sales since his Nov. 25 post has got to be evidence enough he's screwing me, if you don't have enough already.

I'd really just prefer my money back. He can't complete the deal any more. (Can't mail what you don't have). But he says he's broke. The turd could always mail everything he does have from the list and throw in a few golden age comics of equivalent value to make up for the stuff he's sold. But at this point I have no doubt he's decided to just keep the money and the items. He's hardly hiding it anymore.

Besides the obvious HOS nomination, is there any legal recourse. Can he be charged with Fraud or theft or? He admit's he has the money, and he also admit's that the pulps have not been shipped (shrug)

Exactly. To my eyes he is a thief. He stole $3600, no matter what he says.

Maybe Menace should team up with DWC. That way all the administrative stuff would be at a central location. Would definitely speed things up for customers and Jake could just concentrate on getting signatures.

For those who don't know a history on Robert Beerbohn...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Beerbohm

The wiki piece doesn't showcase any of his ongoing questionable actions, but will let those who don't know who he is, have a little insight.

Beerbohn acting in this manner is such a slap in the face of fandom that it truly sickens me.

That's really too bad - what a historical figure, and to end up doing something so unethical taints that iconic status. It's sad to think that one of the best, the most visionary and innovative would throw it all away so easily - especially at an age where people, fans and collectors deeply respect your experience and wisdom.

The wiki piece doesn't showcase any of his ongoing questionable actions, but will let those who don't know who he is, have a little insight.

Beerbohn acting in this manner is such a slap in the face of fandom that it truly sickens me.

That's really too bad - what a historical figure, and to end up doing something so unethical taints that iconic status. It's sad to think that one of the best, the most visionary and innovative would throw it all away so easily - especially at an age where people, fans and collectors deeply respect your experience and wisdom.

It is my understanding that Beerbohm himself wrote that wiki article.

Either Bob or Mitch, no one else could be so oblivious to reality

. :facepalm:

Can one not edit the wiki page and link it back to here showing how much of a tool he is?

Regarding Menace, adding to the discourse.

I'm not stating a for or against opinion.

But for those asking for more issues, here are some links, beyond the three issues already noted, so that you can make an informed decision:

Ramos OP, missing art? Perhaps miss-communication

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=307964&Number=6898144#Post6898144

His own convention thread. 9 pages of many complaints due to lack of shipping, lack of communication, etc.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6895944&fpart=1

All in all looks like allot of miss-communication, or no communication.

Not keeping up with shipments, or not shipping yet at all.

It isn't one instance, two, or three, but many.

You've got the Medina OP, the Scottie Young Sig OP, the RAMOS Op (something amiss), and late or no responses to various convention submissions for SS.

PL or HOS...you decide.

Regardless there is a common theme that needs to be rectified.

Menace (Jake) might be a great guy and a savvy business man.

But...with all due respect he needs a professional wake-up.

And needs to learn to communicate effectively if he wants to conduct business via these boards.

I state this with no malice and wish he and his numerous customers in limbo the best. (thumbs u

That may be, but there are a lot of different users from different IP addresses in the revision history. Not saying that it's not slanted towards him, but one person did not create, edit, revise and maintain that wiki article.

Can one not edit the wiki page and link it back to here showing how much of a tool he is?

Yes.

This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. Please help by adding reliable sources. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately, especially if potentially libelous or harmful. (May 2012)

No I dug into this during my HoS research. He did not write the article itself, it was started by a Wikieditor who is very into comics. However comparing the original to numerous changes, it is clear that either he or someone in his employ heavily edited the page.

Yes.

This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. Please help by adding reliable sources. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately, especially if potentially libelous or harmful. (May 2012)

The best way to get this negative information onto Wiki is probably get him exposed on a news site or a police report filed and available to the public. Anything else is probably going to get deleted soon after it's added.

Yes.

The best way to get this negative information onto Wiki is probably get him exposed on a news site or a police report filed and available to the public. Anything else is probably going to get deleted soon after it's added.

Exactly.

If someone were so inclined, they might contact Bleeding Cool . I think they might be very interested in a "fall from grace" story about a comic book legend.

From there, it's a hop, skip and a jump to the wiki page.

Not that I'd advocate this sort of thing. Just thinking out of the box about hypotheticals. :)

Update:

Menace did send me a refund this weekend. It only took 5 months. This was not the only problem I had with this same transaction. I purchased numerous Young SS books from his sales thread. After the thread was closed he sent me a pm stating he did not have enough SS Thor 9.8 variants.

Hi John,

Got you books here. I did not get enough Thor 9.8 books however so I can refund that money or I have the following 9.8 books available if you want one.

Uncanny Avengers

Marvel Now Point 1

New Avengers

Captain America

Indestructible Hulk

Avengers Arena

Cable and the X-Force

I chose the Uncanny Avengers to replace it. Please beware of future dealings with this boardie. He is very unorganized.

Update:

Menace did send me a refund this weekend. It only took 5 months. This was not the only problem I had with this same transaction. I purchased numerous Young SS books from his sales thread. After the thread was closed he sent me a pm stating he did not have enough SS Thor 9.8 variants.

Hi John,

Got you books here. I did not get enough Thor 9.8 books however so I can refund that money or I have the following 9.8 books available if you want one.

Uncanny Avengers

Marvel Now Point 1

New Avengers

Captain America

Indestructible Hulk

Avengers Arena

Cable and the X-Force

I chose the Uncanny Avengers to replace it. Please beware of future dealings with this boardie. He is very unorganized.

So he was pre selling books he couldn't get for sure? hm

Update:

Hi John,

Uncanny Avengers

Marvel Now Point 1

New Avengers

Captain America

Indestructible Hulk

Avengers Arena

Cable and the X-Force

I don't think he's the only one that does that here.

Update:

Hi John,

Uncanny Avengers

Marvel Now Point 1

New Avengers

Captain America

Indestructible Hulk

Avengers Arena

Cable and the X-Force

I don't think he's the only one that does that here.

Maybe he's the only one that falls on his face doing it. lol

Yes.

Exactly.

If someone were so inclined, they might contact Bleeding Cool . I think they might be very interested in a "fall from grace" story about a comic book legend.

From there, it's a hop, skip and a jump to the wiki page.

Not that I'd advocate this sort of thing. Just thinking out of the box about hypotheticals. :)

I would advocate something like that. This guy is supposed to be an icon to the hobby, and yes - even though it's not required of him - as a leader, icon, innovator, inspiration or what have you - he should be setting the bar to a higher standard, not engaging in questionable practices.

I think it would do good for everyone to have this krap aired out and the truth to come to light. Officially. Not because some guy named Mitch is going to go to bat for him. I'd love to see this forwarded onto Bleeding with the pertinent information. This is the type of stuff news outlets report on, when there is ample proof and the story can be officially reported on record - then the chips fall where they may.