• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Doug Scott
That is not dscott's last name btw. Also HOS is probably too much but I feel like you are making it too simple. Jake issued the refund only after being put on the probation list. He was in no hurry to do it during the 5 months and with the contact with John. I was at dinner with John tonight and saw the email Jake replied to that he "never" got. The guy is just a weasel.

I really do not see how you can say that not giving the refund for 5 months is not a bad thing. Jake got the book back, told John he got it back, and then did not give the refund even after tries from John to get the money back. I am not the most organized person by far but come on. 5 months to issue a refund is just terrible. There really is no excuse for it other than the fact that Jake is just a terrible business person who needs to stop everything he is doing.

I did a decent bit of facilitating at the end of the year (not on the level of most guys but a decent bit) and it really is not all that hard.

Then you see my point.

Yes. And he did apologize saying he thought he sent out a replacement book.

Now, if he continues to try and fix things like he did with you, learns from it and then comes back with a more organized and stress free signature opportunity then wouldn't he be a contributor to the boards? Don't we, as a community, want to have members that actively contribute? If the answer is yes then please understand that the HoS is a permanent scarlet letter that will not allow this to happen. The probation list does.

My understanding is that the HOS poll is for being a multiple probation list offender. Not just for crooks. It's not my choice only. A poll is in place and everyone on the boards is voting. Not to throw logs on the fire, but DWC went through this and came out ok. Menace can also get off the list with another poll as well.

I only know Doug as Doug so my apologies for assuming he was a Scott.

I never said taking 5 months to refund was not bad but it is not stealing. I believe I said he is not a thief and I do not believe that he is.

I thought he apologized to John? If Menace is overwhelmed with emails then couldn't he believe he never got it? Obviously since he replied to it he did get it but it seems to me Menace is going by memory and it is completely possible, even likely that he would not recall it.

He made it right when it was mentioned here. You're right. There are many interpretations that go along with that. If I were overwhelmed then I'd be inclined to deal with the most pressing issues 1st. It can actually be viewed as encouraging that he fixed a problem immediately after being brought up here. If he continues to do that then I think that's a good thing.

I think it's clear he took on too much. I understand when you say it's not complicated but when the wheels come off it can get complicated quick. Personally I've been doing this only about 5 years (SS) and selling comics for 12. I took most of this year off to cross my T's and catch up on aging commitments. Almost an entire year. I have no idea how many opps Menace has going but I see his name pop up quite a bit. I think my SS volume for this year is about 10k and some mistakes were made. It happens. I am more concerned with how they are dealt with now.

Then you see my point.

Yes. And he did apologize saying he thought he sent out a replacement book.

Now, if he continues to try and fix things like he did with you, learns from it and then comes back with a more organized and stress free signature opportunity then wouldn't he be a contributor to the boards? Don't we, as a community, want to have members that actively contribute? If the answer is yes then please understand that the HoS is a permanent scarlet letter that will not allow this to happen. The probation list does.

My understanding is that the HOS poll is for being a multiple probation list offender. Not just for crooks. It's not my choice only. A poll is in place and everyone on the boards is voting. Not to throw logs on the fire, but DWC went through this and came out ok. Menace can also get off the list with another poll as well.

Don't mention DWC. It never ends well for me. :gossip:

If one can be voted in and out of the HoS then what's the difference between that and the probie list?

If Menace is overwhelmed with emails then couldn't he believe he never got it? Obviously since he replied to it he did get it but it seems to me Menace is going by memory and it is completely possible, even likely that he would not recall it.

I just find it funny that he replies to John the same night that he gets put on the probation list yet he never could get around to it in the 5 months when there was no threat hanging above his head. Like I said, HOS is probably too much but come on. If he cannot return an email, a pm (which he read), or a facebook message in 5 months the he really needs to give up on it all.

Edit: Either way, I am tired of talking about the subject so if he goes then he goes and if not, oh well. Hopefully all of this will at least make people think twice before they decide to spend their money with him.

Edited by Darrell F

If one can be voted in and out of the HoS then what's the difference between that and the probie list?

Neither list is permanent, but it is a different kind of challenge getting majority votes in a forum like this. For the PL it can be as simple as one on one, and when one is satisfied they let the other off. Once on the HoS, getting people to vote for you is a whole different thing.

Update:

Menace did send me a refund this weekend. It only took 5 months. This was not the only problem I had with this same transaction. I purchased numerous Young SS books from his sales thread. After the thread was closed he sent me a pm stating he did not have enough SS Thor 9.8 variants.

Hi John,

Got you books here. I did not get enough Thor 9.8 books however so I can refund that money or I have the following 9.8 books available if you want one.

Uncanny Avengers

Marvel Now Point 1

New Avengers

Captain America

Indestructible Hulk

Avengers Arena

Cable and the X-Force

I chose the Uncanny Avengers to replace it. Please beware of future dealings with this boardie. He is very unorganized.

So he was pre selling books he couldn't get for sure? hm

I don't think he's the only one that does that here.

Maybe he's the only one that falls on his face doing it. lol

I don't think he's the only one here doing that either.

There's the guys that do it right, like Dre. He has an eye for grades and subs far more than the minimum necessary to make his prescreen and preorders.

Then there are the guys who got here, and 5 minutes later are taking unlimited orders for their first convention facilitating.

The experience and skill of the chosen provider will determine likelihood of success.

Although I agree Dre has an eye he has stated numerous times that he does not sub more than the minimum necessary. I believe he said he rarely adds an extra one if he's unsure. (thumbs u

He prescreens large amounts of those books that he offers. If they don't hit 9.8 they don't get graded. That's what I was referring to. He makes sure that he will have in stock what he's offering.

Update:

Menace did send me a refund this weekend. It only took 5 months. This was not the only problem I had with this same transaction. I purchased numerous Young SS books from his sales thread. After the thread was closed he sent me a pm stating he did not have enough SS Thor 9.8 variants.

Hi John,

Got you books here. I did not get enough Thor 9.8 books however so I can refund that money or I have the following 9.8 books available if you want one.

Uncanny Avengers

Marvel Now Point 1

New Avengers

Captain America

Indestructible Hulk

Avengers Arena

Cable and the X-Force

I chose the Uncanny Avengers to replace it. Please beware of future dealings with this boardie. He is very unorganized.

There's the guys that do it right, like Dre. He has an eye for grades and subs far more than the minimum necessary to make his prescreen and preorders.

Then there are the guys who got here, and 5 minutes later are taking unlimited orders for their first convention facilitating.

The experience and skill of the chosen provider will determine likelihood of success.

Although I agree Dre has an eye he has stated numerous times that he does not sub more than the minimum necessary. I believe he said he rarely adds an extra one if he's unsure. (thumbs u

He prescreens large amounts of those books that he offers. If they don't hit 9.8 they don't get graded. That's what I was referring to. He makes sure that he will have in stock what he's offering.

:hi:

Thanks for the kind words Chris. I think a lot of sellers on the boards seem to lack one thing - "Professionalism". I don't understand why people risk their reputation here and elsewhere over simple matters/transactions. If you are going to offer a service then provide it. Otherwise why bother at all?

BTW I don't pre-screen "Large" amounts of books. I sub the number ordered in my sales threads and/or by pre-screen subscribers then the additional one or two copies extra depending on specific titles to sell to regular customers off the boards or on eBay.

Yet the numbers aren't lying.

81 yes votes 74%

29 no votes 26%

3 to 1 in favor of the H.O.S. (shrug)

So what's the required percentage split for him to go in? I see a big problem with polls in this situation in that they are anonymous. Obviously there are advantages to that, but on the flip side we can't know whether the people that are actually affected by Menace's opp (who in my opinion should have more say in the matter) are voting "yes" or "no".

Personally, I also think HoS is overkill. It seems to me to come down to intention to rip people off v being disorganised and slow.

The argument has been made already, but Hall of Shame should be for the absolute worst, and this doesn't seem to me to qualify.

I am nominating MrDeafComics for the probation list based on the following:

Purchased a Spider-Man #1 CGC 9.8 (from this sales thread http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=316545&Number=7095382#Post7095382) and have not seen delivery of the book yet.

Timeline:

10/16 - Posted the :takeit: in reference to the Spider-man #1 CGC 9.8

10/17 - Paid in full for the book in question.

10/17 - MrDeafComics thanked me for payment and stated book would ship out on "Monday" with the rest. That would have put it with a ship date of 10/21

11/22 - MrDeafComics apologized for not having sent the book out as he had been busy and stated the book would ship out "within the week". Worst case scenario that pushes the ship date to 11/29.

12/5 - As of 1pm EST, a full 50 days after payment I still have not received the book.

12/5 - As of 2pm EST I notified MrDeafComics in a new/seperate PM that I would be bringing this to the "Probation Discussion Thread".

First time I have done this so let me know if any additional information is needed.

Thanks

The slab I ordered from MrDeafComics arrived today in good condition. I am considering this transaction completed satisfactory and closed.

Update:

Hi John,

Uncanny Avengers

Marvel Now Point 1

New Avengers

Captain America

Indestructible Hulk

Avengers Arena

Cable and the X-Force

:hi:

Thanks for the kind words Chris. I think a lot of sellers on the boards seem to lack one thing - "Professionalism". I don't understand why people risk their reputation here and elsewhere over simple matters/transactions. If you are going to offer a service then provide it. Otherwise why bother at all?

BTW I don't pre-screen "Large" amounts of books. I sub the number ordered in my sales threads and/or by pre-screen subscribers then the additional one or two copies extra depending on specific titles to sell to regular customers off the boards or on eBay.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't mean to intimate you send in a ton, that was more a comment about how you submit a lot of books overall, not a lot of extra books, but enough to make sure you are covered, that your customers are always covered, and that you can always keep your word.

Too many people think it's easy to facilitate and then things like this happen. It a failure to respect the amount of work it takes to do these things the right way.

81 yes votes 74%

29 no votes 26%

So what's the required percentage split for him to go in? I see a big problem with polls in this situation in that they are anonymous. Obviously there are advantages to that, but on the flip side we can't know whether the people that are actually affected by Menace's opp (who in my opinion should have more say in the matter) are voting "yes" or "no".

Personally, I also think HoS is overkill. It seems to me to come down to intention to rip people off v being disorganised and slow.

The argument has been made already, but Hall of Shame should be for the absolute worst, and this doesn't seem to me to qualify.

Couldn't agree more - I think the key aspect of any HOS inclusion should be that the person acted with malicious intent. I just don't see how Menace's bumbling incompetence would qualify here.

I am nominating MrDeafComics for the probation list based on the following:

Purchased a Spider-Man #1 CGC 9.8 (from this sales thread http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=316545&Number=7095382#Post7095382) and have not seen delivery of the book yet.

Timeline:

10/16 - Posted the :takeit: in reference to the Spider-man #1 CGC 9.8

10/17 - Paid in full for the book in question.

10/17 - MrDeafComics thanked me for payment and stated book would ship out on "Monday" with the rest. That would have put it with a ship date of 10/21

11/22 - MrDeafComics apologized for not having sent the book out as he had been busy and stated the book would ship out "within the week". Worst case scenario that pushes the ship date to 11/29.

12/5 - As of 1pm EST, a full 50 days after payment I still have not received the book.

12/5 - As of 2pm EST I notified MrDeafComics in a new/seperate PM that I would be bringing this to the "Probation Discussion Thread".

First time I have done this so let me know if any additional information is needed.

Thanks

The slab I ordered from MrDeafComics arrived today in good condition. I am considering this transaction completed satisfactory and closed.

Thanks for the update, glad you were made whole. I'll get the ladder out to update the board.

81 yes votes 74%

29 no votes 26%

Couldn't agree more - I think the key aspect of any HOS inclusion should be that the person acted with malicious intent. I just don't see how Menace's bumbling incompetence would qualify here.

My reading of those who have nominated him is that what started perhaps as "bumbling" became overtime a conscious attempt to put off and therefore deceive clients. They may feel that while this is not "malicious intent" in the first instance it became practically speaking a dishonest practice. 2c