• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I would like to submit Robert Meadows aka "Bomber-Bob" for the Probation list for not completing agreed upon transaction

The sales thread is here

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7391755&fpart=1

Bob contacted me regarding a cash/trade for my JIM 83

Jan 22 - After a little haggling back and forth a deal was struck in PM (not sure if iM allowed to post PM's or not) at which time ended all negotiations with other Boardies

-- The deal was 2 books plus cash for my book. I had to wait for my book to arrive from CGC as stated in my sales thread.

Jan 24 - I received a PM with Bob attempting to alter the deal by keeping one of his books and adding more cash. I denied that change

Jan 26 - I received a PM from Bob asking to alter the deal again. This time he wanted to keep both books and pay my asking price for the book. I said no to that too because the cash/trade deal was (GPA value wise) tilted in my favor as Bob pointed out in our original negotiations.

-- Bob said as a collector he was having a hard time letting go of one of his books and it was up to me me whether I "called him out on the Boards" Yet during the original negotiations, Bob stated that he was actually considering upgrading that book, and it would be easy to replace.

Jan 27 - I PM'd Bob and told him I would be willing to accept his cash offer, as it was obvious he wasn't going to trade his books.

The JIM arrives at my house. I PM's Bob asking where we stand. He said he would like to explore some other trade options. At that point I said we have 2 options...

1 - The original deal

2 - full asking price as he offered

Bob called and got grading notes. There is a stain on the bottom back corner which was asked about IN the original thread to which I responded "I think the bottom back corner is just an odd light". The book was at CGC, so I couldn't be 100% sure. Bob said due to that, "Many would consider this to be overgraded"

At that point Bob backed out

Dan, just to comply with the rules, was a separate PM sent stating his nomination to the PL and has the 72 hour time passed?

A separate PM was sent, but he already PM's stating he wanted out

Edit - I just re-read the guidelines, and if I read right, he has 72 hours to respond to the this before being placed on the PL, not before I ask him to be put there (shrug)

Edited by Spider-Dan

Sorry to hear that Dan. Not defending him whatsoever, but I will say Bob has bought high $$ books (not 5 figures though) from me in the past without a hitch. Shame it didn't work out...Sometimes circumstances happen, though it doesn't seem that way from your telling...There may be other factors involved he didn't want to divulge. But could you try re-listing it since it has been less than a week? Just edit the thread and state it is still available.

If I had the scratch I would buy it :sorry:

Dan, just to comply with the rules, was a separate PM sent stating his nomination to the PL and has the 72 hour time passed?

A separate PM was sent, but he already PM's stating he wanted out

Edit - I just re-read the guidelines, and if I read right, he has 72 hours to respond to the this before being placed on the PL, not before I ask him to be put there (shrug)

Yes, he has 72 hours to present his side, if it differs from yours, before he's added.

Edited by bababooey

Bob seems like a nice guy, so I hate that it has to come to this. I don't do a lot of trading, and I was kind of enjoying it.

But their are consequences for our actions. If their weren't, people would back out all the time.

BTW - It is back for sale again :baiting:

Yea the 72 hour rule has to be upheld before he can be added. Please come back here and let us know when 72 hours have passed and if he hasn't presented his side, he will be added to the list. Sorry that it didn't work out.

How does something like this work? If he doesn't want the book because of the graders notes...doesn't he have the right not to buy it? As a seller, I would want to be sure the buyer is going to be happy with what they're buying (shrug)

How does something like this work? If he doesn't want the book because of the graders notes...doesn't he have the right not to buy it? As a seller, I would want to be sure the buyer is going to be happy with what they're buying (shrug)

Had he taken it "pending notes", or "pending scans" that would be different. He could have asked me for the CGC number to get notes on day one, as it was slabbed, just not delivered

Had he taken it "pending notes", or "pending scans" that would be different. He could have asked me for the CGC number to get notes on day one, as it was slabbed, just not delivered

Dan, you also mentioned that he changed the first agreed deal/trade as well, correct?

I would think he would have to indicate in his PM that his acceptance of the deal was contingent on reading the grading notes. If he omitted that proviso, I think he is stuck with the deal according to what I understand the rules of the sales threads to be. (This assumes that in one of the PMs he clearly accepted the deal.)

Dan, you also mentioned that he changed the first agreed deal/trade as well, correct?

No - The original agreed upon deal was never changed. He asked about changing it twice, but neither deal was appealing to me