• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Can I get an opinion from the group here, please?

...this person now continues to mess with my eBay auction, potentially causing me to lose money.

I'm not following.

How is his bidding on your auction potentially causing you to lose money? I would have thought the opposite was true...more bidders usually means higher closing prices.

Well first of all, he's already causing me to loose money by reneging on our deal and having me turn to eBay to sell the item, resulting in fees that I wouldn't have had to pay if he had kept his word. Secondly, I'd loose money if he were to bid on it and potentially win for less than our agreed upon deal. And by bidding it up too quickly, I'm loosing out on potential bidders that may have driven up the price during the closing moments of the auction if the price was more appealing at that time.

Though, I'm surprised that is the part of the entire story you chose to focus on. No concerns about this person's actions?

Your first two reasons are hypotheticals. You can't predict auction closing prices. Your third reason is a bit of a stretch and would require an additional higher bidder for it to be true. And again, you can't predict auction closing prices or whether a different bidder might have made the same or higher bid. So I really don't think this guy poses much of a threat to your wallet. :)

If the rest of what you say is accurate, the guy sounds like a flake. You can out him if you want, but realize you're going to be asked to prove your allegations. If you had a contract, you'll find a lot of support here. On the other hand, if all you have is a nebulous pm from a boardie with a sales contingency and no firm date, then you don't have a contract and there's not much we can do to help you.

Btw...I learned a long time ago that non-refundable deposits have a wonderful affect on honesty, integrity, and communication. Sad but true.

...this person now continues to mess with my eBay auction, potentially causing me to lose money.

I'm not following.

How is his bidding on your auction potentially causing you to lose money? I would have thought the opposite was true...more bidders usually means higher closing prices.

Well first of all, he's already causing me to loose money by reneging on our deal and having me turn to eBay to sell the item, resulting in fees that I wouldn't have had to pay if he had kept his word. Secondly, I'd loose money if he were to bid on it and potentially win for less than our agreed upon deal. And by bidding it up too quickly, I'm loosing out on potential bidders that may have driven up the price during the closing moments of the auction if the price was more appealing at that time.

Though, I'm surprised that is the part of the entire story you chose to focus on. No concerns about this person's actions?

Your first two reasons are hypotheticals. You can't predict auction closing prices. Your third reason is a bit of a stretch and would require an additional higher bidder for it to be true. And again, you can't predict auction closing prices or whether a different bidder might have made the same or higher bid. So I really don't think this guy poses much of a threat to your wallet. :)

If the rest of what you say is accurate, the guy sounds like a flake. You can out him if you want, but realize you're going to be asked to prove your allegations. If you had a contract, you'll find a lot of support here. On the other hand, if all you have is a nebulous pm from a boardie with a sales contingency and no firm date, then you don't have a contract and there's not much we can do to help you.

Btw...I learned a long time ago that non-refundable deposits have a wonderful affect on honesty, integrity, and communication. Sad but true.

All good advice, I agree also that as it stands there is no PL process here, as the second approach of the buyer was not followed up with a clear commitment from the buyer, just another disappearing act.

That all said, I read the whole thing in a much more sinister light, and flake is too nice a term for it.

The buyer broke a deal and only with exasperation did the seller let him off by the need to pursue a sale, which sooner or later the seller would be forced to do.

The buyer than tried their luck at the auction without communication with the seller suggesting deception and further dishonour, to put it lightly.

The buyer than after being blocked and again after being given a chance to honour the first deal which they had reneged upon instead opts for the (in this context) deceitful practice of having others bid on their behalf.

There is flake and there is flake, and there is this. Such persistence from a buyer who for whatever reason couldn't honour the original deal, is to me just disturbing.

I'm not following.

All good advice, I agree also that as it stands there is no PL process here, as the second approach of the buyer was not followed up with a clear commitment from the buyer, just another disappearing act.

That all said, I read the whole thing in a much more sinister light, and flake is too nice a term for it.

The buyer broke a deal and only with exasperation did the seller let him off by the need to pursue a sale, which sooner or later the seller would be forced to do.

The buyer than tried their luck at the auction without communication with the seller suggesting deception and further dishonour, to put it lightly.

The buyer than after being blocked and again after being given a chance to honour the first deal which they had reneged upon instead opts for the (in this context) deceitful practice of having others bid on their behalf.

There is flake and there is flake, and there is this. Such persistence from a buyer who for whatever reason couldn't honour the original deal, is to me just disturbing.

Thank you, crassus. To Ditch's question, I have copies of our PM's here that show the buyer both agreeing to purchase price and a purchase date. As for my hypotheticals, one could argue the entire auction process is a hypothetical until it ends. The fact that he's already costing me money in eBay fees is in no way hypothetical.

It seems like you want the Boards to do something that you didn't do yourself. You whiffed on the process of doing a time payment deal (and on the process of nominating someone to the PL) and now you want the collective to take care of it.

At the end of the day, you are worried that he is going to win it for less on Ebay. That would be a terrible outcome because it would validate (to him) and embolden his awful behavior and cause you economic harm (which you don't deserve).

If you are not going to out the guy, please take from this that you need to do non-refundable deposits for time deals with people that you don't know.

It seems like you want the Boards to do something that you didn't do yourself. You whiffed on the process of doing a time payment deal (and on the process of nominating someone to the PL) and now you want the collective to take care of it.

At the end of the day, you are worried that he is going to win it for less on Ebay. That would be a terrible outcome because it would validate (to him) and embolden his awful behavior and cause you economic harm (which you don't deserve).

If you are not going to out the guy, please take from this that you need to do non-refundable deposits for time deals with people that you don't know.

No, I'm not asking for the collective to take care of it, just looking for opinions. I'll be the first to admit I should have brought it here before canceling it, but since I have had dealings with the person here on the boards in the past, his behavior has caught me a bit off guard.

No, I'm not asking for the collective to take care of it, just looking for opinions. I'll be the first to admit I should have brought it here before canceling it, but since I have had dealings with the person here on the boards in the past, his behavior has caught me a bit off guard.

I understand why this would be difficult for you. You are saying that up until this incident, you have had otherwise regular and successful business with the buyer, yes?

I understand why this would be difficult for you. You are saying that up until this incident, you have had otherwise regular and successful business with the buyer, yes?

Yes, exactly.