• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would a Sketch of Batman by Bob Kane cost me

22 posts in this topic

I have thought about getting a orginal sketch Batman by Bob Kane for sometime now . But I have no idea what a good price would be . Does anyone know about what one may be wrth . So that I won't get burned ?

I would proceed with extreme caution. I question a lot of the ones on Ebay

He did some include some with the first X of 1000 limited edition of his Batman and Me book from Eclipse I imagine those have some authenticity built in...decent sized sketches...ones I've seen are head/chest and just a bit smaller than the book

He did some include some with the first X of 1000 limited edition of his Batman and Me book from Eclipse I imagine those have some authenticity built in...decent sized sketches...ones I've seen are head/chest and just a bit smaller than the book

And we are sure he did them and not ghosts?

I have one of the Batman and Me books with the sketch and I've used it as my guideline for Bob Kane sketches ever since. I'm sure the forgers look at the same things I do in a sketch like how it is colored and how smooth the flow of the lines are, but I think I can make a pretty good guess now.

I can't tell you why I think one is a fake and the next is real, it's just a feeling.

Probably not the thing to base a decision like that on, I know.

I may have a small one here somewhere. Let see if I can find it and get a collective sense from the folks here.

I've heard about the ghosts on his paintings, but do you really think someone ghosted the small headsketches - like this one ?

I don't like that one, the main reason is that all the shading on the head goes one direction, or very close to it. Using the Batman and Me book for reference (again, who knows if he really did those?) you can see that he generally goes in several directions while shading. Like this one or this one.

I'm certianly not enough of an expert to make a final opinion, but what do you guys think?

Seriously though, why even bother with a Kane sketch? I'd rather have something from someone who really did draw Batman back then and didn't only sign the artwork.

That's a good observation. I guess I wanted one to have one from the guy who actually created or co-created the character. I owuld never turn down a sketch from any of his ghosts either, though.

It reminds me of a cartoon I saw in some comic-zine or some such years ago. The characters are at a convention and the final panel was on character telling the other that they needed to hurry, Dick Sprang was signing Bob Kane autographs for one hour only.

It reminds me of a cartoon I saw in some comic-zine or some such years ago. The characters are at a convention and the final panel was on character telling the other that they needed to hurry, Dick Sprang was signing Bob Kane autographs for one hour only.

lol, :roflmao:

lol, :roflmao:

That's beautiful, man...

-slym

I could see him having people ghost small sketches for him esp if it was to answer fan mail requests. Walt Disney had people who just ghosted his autograph. In fact the famous Walt Disney signature you see on packaging everywhere is from one of these guys. The real Disney autograph looks close but distinctly different.

Pinball.. that one looks real.. Real Sheldon Moldoff !!

I'm not sure I ever met one person who actually saw Bob Kane do a sketch for someone. I can't recall ever seeing him do one myself and there is the rub.

You see him at the drawing board with a piece of art in front of him in pictures. Almost always the art is a daily strip by Jack Burnley.

So there is the problem with most of it.

Shelley may be here in Vegas after he does San Diego this year. If he is, we're supposed to have dinner. Naturally the #1 topic will be Batman.

I recommend all owners showing your sketches to him & ask what he thinks if Kane did any of them and if Shelley did any.

But the one above.. I'd be shocked to hear it wasn't by Shelley

Seriously though, why even bother with a Kane sketch? I'd rather have something from someone who really did draw Batman back then and didn't only sign the artwork.

I wanted to say this to the orig poster but I didn't want to burst his bubble

I wouldn't waste time or money for a Bob Kane sketch but thats just me