• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some help with identifying and valuing pieces, TMNT, Miller Etc.

7 posts in this topic

A friend of mine recently picked up a very nice collection. Along with the comics there was some original art including an original Miller Dark Knight Returns page (sorry folks, already sold) but there were also some other very neat original art pieces. If anyone can help identify where it was published (in the case of the TMNT art) or approximate value, I'd be grateful because frankly, even after asking several sources, it's hard to pin down:

Eastman...

DSC05502.jpg

Wagner:

DSC05503.jpg

Miller:

DSC05504.jpg

Wow, all cool pieces!

The Wagner sketch is about $150-200. The color Batman/Robin sketch...very hard to say. Looks like Frank Miller *might* have touched it at some point given the signed initials...but it's really obscured by the inker/colorist. Still, if there are actually original Miller pencils underneath somewhere, it's got to be worth something to someone.

The color TMNT piece is a real sleeper. If it's a published Eastman/Laird, you're talking four figures easy. Even if it's not (either published or Eastman/Laird), it's still got the highest value of the three pieces.

(And congrats to the new owner of the DKR page (thumbs u ...great buy!)

I'm not sure if the Mirage Studios pieces was published or not. It doesn't ring a bell and I don't see a reference to it in Kevin's Artobiography. And, it was common for Peter and Kevin to produce a lot of pieces that went unpublished in the 1985-1986 timeframe. It's possible it was used at a convention to advertise Mirage Studios. What's odd is that it doesn't appear to be signed by Kevin or Peter. Is it signed on the back? It definitely looks like their style (more Kevin's), but it's odd that it wouldn't be signed. They pretty much signed everything they did back then.

As Fugitoid is included in the image, then this piece would date after issue #5 of the TMNT (when they were first introduced together). At that point, Steve Lavigne was on board at Mirage so it's possible that he did the coloring on the piece.

One other question I would have about the piece is whether all the art is original or if it's a color stat? Many of the early covers (e.g., #5) were pencilled and inked on board and then later colored separately on another board. That would all figure into the value.

The "Frank Miller" Dark Knight piece was inked and colored by Kevin B. Eastman (KBE). Kevin has a rather dominant style which is why it may not look like a Miller drawing if it started out that way. Kevin was a big fan of Miller and heavily influenced by him. It's very possible that Kevin got Frank to draw him a convention sketch and he inked it. Are there any pencil lines showing? That may give a hint. But, it also could have been done as an homage to Miller by Eastman (it's unlikely he would have signed it FM then, but possible). As far as I know it isn't published either.

Just of ouf curiosity, can you show a page of the DKR page even though it sold?

S

I Guess Not! C'mon, please share!

I'm sorry, the buyer has asked that it remain anonymous as well. It will be up him if and when he chooses to reveal it.