• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August Heritage Auction

25 posts in this topic

There is some really high-quality material in this auction... a lot of items that are seeing the market for the first time, or at least the first time in a real long time (material by artists that I follow actively, at least).

A Ditko Dr.Strange page & Steranko Nick Fury page (worship) Like to see what those two fetch

Ditko Dr. Strange pieces come up for sale infrequently, and I am always interested in them. However, the Ditko is not inked by Steve, it's inked by Bell, and Strange is in only 1 panel, those might be limiting factors.

Always love to watch Steranko pieces go off though.

C

There is some really high-quality material in this auction... a lot of items that are seeing the market for the first time, or at least the first time in a real long time (material by artists that I follow actively, at least).

So is the general opinion that the reason that these pieces are coming onto the market now, is the fact that people are starting to need funds due to the credit squeeze ?

So is the general opinion that the reason that these pieces are coming onto the market now, is the fact that people are starting to need funds due to the credit squeeze ?

It could be the reason, but I'm not sure we can make that correlation. It could also be that the pieces are coming to market because of the prices realized in the past few years regardless of the state of the current economy. Maybe the pieces are owned by foreign interests? I'm not saying that the current US economic status is NOT a factor in OA coming to market, I'd think collectibles would be some of the first assets to be sold off (rather than a car, or house, or dipping into a child's college fund), but it's hard to make a direct connection without knowing a more about the consignors.

As for the Auction itself, IMO the weakest offering of Bronze Age, especially covers in terms of quantity over the past year or so. Still as always there are some great pieces, interestingly a lot of post 1980 stuff.

2c

It`s one of the weakest overall Heritage Signature auctions I can remember in ages. The comic offering is definitely the weakest in a long time, and my impression of the OA is that it was no great shakes either.

It`s one of the weakest overall Heritage Signature auctions I can remember in ages. The comic offering is definitely the weakest in a long time, and my impression of the OA is that it was no great shakes either.

I agree, nothing special in this auction

Agreed. There are always some nice pieces, whether the economy is good or bad. I would only make correlations with the economy if multiple pieces start coming out that it starts to raise eyebrows. I only counted a couple nice pieces, from my standpoint, which is way less than prior auctions (so far).

The prices on the Ditko ST and the Steranko page will be strong, and therefore that will validate the fact that pieces are coming out because of strong prior sales and a strong high-end market (I agree lower end pieces are moving at relatively cut prices). There are less Nick Fury fans out there, so although it's a great Steranko page, I'm curious as to where that page will end. Guessing 10-15K.

The Moon Knight page was cool. I think the X-men 137 page will come close to the 10k mark. Looks like it has all the team members. But what do I know.

Nothing in this auction intersest me, the quality seems weak.

Yeah, I'm surprised at the drop-off in quality, especially since (presumably) the weak economy brought out so many gems in the past couple/few auctions. Maybe it's gotten to the point where consigners are now less willing to take a chance on auctions in this climate, like in the fine art world where the auctions this year have featured fewer and mostly lower-end pieces. (shrug)

There's a few pieces that caught my eye; I won't go to the mat for any of them, but may throw in some bids to try and snag a deal or two. hm

Agreed. There are always some nice pieces, whether the economy is good or bad. I would only make correlations with the economy if multiple pieces start coming out that it starts to raise eyebrows. I only counted a couple nice pieces, from my standpoint, which is way less than prior auctions (so far).

The prices on the Ditko ST

what do you think its worth Hari? To me it looks like a subpar page as far as Ditko dr strange goes, although I certainly understand that any Ditko dr strange page is worth good money

For affordable pieces, I actually like that complete cherry story. Course, you can't really hang that on your wall lol and you look like a perv even owning it. I probably look like a perv even typing this lol but Cherry stories always had a sense of humor

I also think those early harvey covers are underappreciated. Nice clean lines on cover art from important atom age series, and won't clean out your bank account. What's not to like?

yeah Its impossible to look at a signature auction and not see a bunch of things to like :) I agree there are less "home run" pieces but they are above my pain threshold anyways so no loss to me!