• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adam Hughes and the San Diego Con Sketch Price Rumour

27 posts in this topic

I'm just trying to clear up a stupid rumour that apparently started at Adventure Con a few weeks ago which stated that Adam would be charging $10,000 for sketches at San Diego Comic Con - THIS IS ABSOLUTE RUBBISH, THERE IS NO TRUTH TO IT!

Allison has posted at Hughes-Fans refuting the rumour and I thought it would help to circulate her comments as follows:

"Hi all;

I was just made aware of a rumor that was going around at Adventure Con this past weekend. Apparently word on the street is that Adam will be sketching at San Diego for a mere $10,000 a sketch.

That's right; Ten Thousand Dollars.

I thought it was important to let everyone know that this is NOT in fact true. I don't know where this rumor started, but it can end here.

Many of you know that Adam didn't sketch at all at last year's San Diego Comic Con, and the year before that sketches were $400. I may be bold; but to go from $400 to $10,000 is beyond even my ability. So I wanted to state for the record that Adam will NOT be charging Ten Thousand Dollars for a San Diego Sketch this year.

In all seriousness, here is what we are considering doing for San Diego. Prior to the show, Adam will auction on Ebay one sketch per day of the show, probably for the Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Whoever wins the auctions gets their choice of a sketch. The pieces will be standard con sketches; not larger or inked or anything crazy; just the fabulous marker pieces he's been doing lately. And we may even be arranging for one of these pieces to be completed during a drawing demo, so folks can watch."

She later added that:

"The auction will state that people must be present at the convention to participate in the auction. They will have to show a photo ID to be able to get the drawing, to prevent someone else from collecting it."

So, if you hear the $10K rumour mentioned, please know that it is absolute nonsense. Thanks,

Royd

*Chuckle* while Adam's sketches do well on ebay I don't believe I've ever seen any single sketch reach anywhere near $10K!

The only time I've seen anything reach that price was when one of Adam's own sketchbooks (filled with 30 or so sketches) was auctioned off and it reached around $11K but that was a rarity and a number of the sketches were in prelim stage. Best,

Royd

i'm guessing 1k + each, so a lot of people will be out of the loop.

But this is for only 1 sketch per day of the show and for 3 of the 5 days. So only these 3 sketches may be out of the loop. The rest of the sketches he does from Wednesday to Sunday totally loop-able.

(thumbs u

C

Ummm, I believe that there will be only 3 sketches done on those 3 days for the duration of SDCC. Adam finds it extremely difficult to complete more than a very small number of sketches at SDCC due to demands on his time (last year he was injured) and he and Allison felt this was the fairest way to handle the demand for sketches (at this con). Best,

Royd

Ummm, I believe that there will be only 3 sketches done on those 3 days for the duration of SDCC. Adam finds it extremely difficult to complete more than a very small number of sketches at SDCC due to demands on his time (last year he was injured) and he and Allison felt this was the fairest way to handle the demand for sketches (at this con). Best,

Royd

Oh that's different. Reading allison's reply it sounded like 3 sketches would be auctioned as guaranteed pieces, and the rest were luck of the draw. They did this earlier this year at another convention. They auctioned off 1 guaranteed spot, and did other sketches the entire weekend. I could not tell from her post that he was only doing 3 for the weekend.

C

If you're referring to the Mega-Con ebay piece, that was a special one-off arrangement organised to raise funds for their fellow artist, Andy McDonald's medical expenses. Other sketches at Mega-Con were via the usual arrangements (ie random selection from a list) :) Best,

Royd

If you're referring to the Mega-Con ebay piece, that was a special one-off arrangement organised to raise funds for their fellow artist, Andy McDonald's medical expenses. Other sketches at Mega-Con were via the usual arrangements (ie random selection from a list) :) Best,

Royd

Right,

That's the only other time that a sketch was auctioned, and he did a regular list in addition. It seems whether or not there will be a list at SDCC in addition to the ebay sketches is missing from her email. I guess you can read it both ways. Maybe I will just give her a call later and clarify.

C

Good googaly moogaly. Look at the bidders go! :popcorn::screwy::popcorn:

-e.

At $800, $600, $600 (which is where they were at the time of this post) they are sitting at 1/2 to 2/3rd of what they would ebay for from flippers after the show....

I have been offered unsolicted $1500+ for my Hughes con sketch.

I have no doubt they will be a ton more than this by the time the auction's over.

C

I guess I would counter that your piece is a known quantity. The winners don't know exactly what they'll get. I've seen some doozies and I've seen some not-so-doozies.

Of course in the interest of full disclosure, I'd never drop that kind of money on a marker sketch since that kind of dough could go so much further. Especially these days, but that's just me. :)

-e.

Of course in the interest of full disclosure, I'd never drop that kind of money on a marker sketch since that kind of dough could go so much further. Especially these days, but that's just me. :)

-e.

No, trust me, it ISN'T just you. ;):D