• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1 year ago today Michael Turner passed away & I miss him & his art very much.

9 posts in this topic

Louise and I and a few buds were hanging in the Hyatt Lounge area in Chicago after the con late at night when the news broke. I was talking with Francis Manapul and a few of the other creators who had worked with Michael at Aspen when they got the cel phone call that Michael had passed away. It was a very sad mood that washed across the entire lobby. There must have been a 1000 people there partying and then everything went silent. Some cried and some just went to their rooms. I'll never forget it.

It was moving to say the least. He'll be remembered for a long time.

(thumbs u

R.

Ugh, unfortunately when I saw Michael Turner on the title, this was the name of a co-worker of mine who was killed in a motorcycle accident last week. Left behind a wife and two young children. RIP sir.

Capt. Michael L. Turner, a 38-year-old flight commander stationed at Andersen Air Force Base, was killed Wednesday night when the motorcycle he was driving struck a van in Dededo.

A press release from Andersen identified Turner late yesterday afternoon. The military couldn't release his name until they notified Turner's next-of-kin. Turner is the island's seventh traffic-related death this year. There were eight deaths on Guam's roads last year.

I also remember being at the Hyatt when news broke of Michael's passing. Rather then being at the bar I was stuck in my room suffering from what had to be the worst allergic reaction of my life. I'll never forget my buddy charging into the room looking at me and saying, "whoa, you look like mess dude. Micheal Turner just passed away" :cry:

The comic world will never forgot the magic Michael shared with us.

I was also at the Chicago convention when it happened, but since I'm an early to bed early to rise person I didn't hear about Michael's passing until the next morning. I had just entered the convention first thing in the morning and Billy Tucci told me. It was a terrible shock.

The guy could seriously draw, he wasn't faking it like so many modern comic artists are. I had the priviledge of spending a couple of hours with him at a VIP event a few years ago and he was sketching the entire time. Beautiful drawings just flowed from his hand like magic. No references or anything, just straight from his imagination.