• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men #1 - Dont Let It Slip Away!

33 posts in this topic

I like how he says his grandfather gave it to him as a gift, so maybe his grandfather has the real X-Men #1 and gave his grandson that one.

He sure is excited about it tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Seriously some people just don't know the difference. I used to have a guy that would come into my shop (I sold CDs, comics, and other items) and and brag about his safe deposit box having such great comics that he would have to charge me to let me see them. He knew I would probably be willing to trade him my car for ONE book(at the time I had a sweet vintage car show trophy winnah with lovely dual chrome exhausts that sounded like an demon). He told me about how he never let anyone see them ever because he was afraid they would get stolen. One day he tells me he is in dire need of cash and thought it may be time to sell them. He was sure I probably didn't have the funds for the books because he looked in Wizard and Mr.Wizard said he had like over $200,000 worth of books maybe even more because his books were incredibly perfect. He knew I knew a lot of dealer that had funds who would be interested in a rare find. Well, of course, first off I usually think people who aren't comic collectors don't know much about titles and make mistakes as well as over value their stuff. When he told me his were never removed from the package, I knew he was going to be really disappointed. He comes in with a briefcase with his precious Superman Action comics reprint, a Spider-man #1, and a few other more modern books. He went on to tell me he had helped a friend clean out an apartment and found them in the trash. To top it off when I tried honestly to point out he was mistaken he accused me of being a swindler trying to cheat him out of his books by telling him lies. He was convinced that he had a Superman first appearance worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and a first print Amazing Spider-man. He left angry refusing to believe me at all. I ended up saying something along the lines of "Send them to Mr. Wizard and he'll tell you the same thing!"

Honestly there are a lot of scam artist on the internet but also just a few stupid one and people that just don't know what they have. A lot of people think it says #1 so it must be worth loads of money. Some people tell me they have really old, vintage comics and they are from 1994. This guy is probably just stupid and who knows there could be some other stupid person saying "WOW! Xmen #1 that's worth a lot!"

There is no excuse in the year 2009 to not be able to type "www.google.com", then type "X-Men 1" then click "images" and compare what you have with what shows up.

There is no excuse in the year 2009 to not be able to type "Marvel Milestone Edition" and see what comes up.

If you can put something on Craig's list, you can do these simple things.

Ignorance is not an excuse. If you don't know what an item is, find out.

And, the item clearly states itself that it is a reprint.

No, this is just another person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed trying to pull a scam.

Okay believe it or not we (you and I + others on this board) are up on the evolutionary chain of things as far as the internet is concerned.

My neighbor is on the internet all the time and she's as dumb as a post. She has no concept of the value of things. She can't tell time on a non-digitial clock. She cannot count change back when she buys something at the store. When I tell her to meet me at a quarter till she gets mad and tells me not to confuse her. "I know they say time is money, but a quarter is 25 cents. So are you saying you want me to met you 25 minutes till? She buys stuff and is starting to sell. I refrain from helping her because I really don't want to get involved in that trainwreck. Thank the P.T.B. she doesn't have a liking for comic books. My point is, you are assuming that people who use the internet and craigslist have a baseline degree of common sense. Anyone who sees the multitude of crack headed prices people want for their junk, knows that there are a lot of the slow ones out here in internet land. The highly functioning, developmentally challenged who have a computer or a library to use one at.

Ok, first, I love that you're so willing to give the benefit of the doubt, NS. It's a wonderful thing, and it's desperately needed in this "shoot first, ask questions never" world we live in, so don't ever change that...:foryou:

...and I don't dispute that there are some realllllllly stupid people in the world.

But if you're smart enough to use Craig's list, and type up an ad....which is a lot tougher than Googling "X-Men #1"....then you're smart enough to Google "X-Men #1."

Oh, and one more thing...if what you're saying was 100% accurate, we'd see a lot of ads for "Spiderman #1, 12 cents!" cause that's what it says on the cover...

...oddly enough, we don't ever see it work THAT way, do we...? ;)

It's all about the $$$, and if people are going to "error", they always seen to "erior" in their favor, don't they...? :grin:

I did get some books at a yard sale once and the gal sold them all to me half of the orginal price I told her I'd go ahead and give 10 cents for the 15 cent ones..because it was easier than 7.5 cents each. On the other hand, I had a customer run into my swap meet booth look at some 20 centers throw me 60 cents and try to walk out with three. I had to call security because he argued and argued the cover said 20 cents and I was commiting highway robbery asking for $15-20 each.

Seriously some people just don't know the difference. I used to have a guy that would come into my shop (I sold CDs, comics, and other items) and and brag about his safe deposit box having such great comics that he would have to charge me to let me see them. He knew I would probably be willing to trade him my car for ONE book(at the time I had a sweet vintage car show trophy winnah with lovely dual chrome exhausts that sounded like an demon). He told me about how he never let anyone see them ever because he was afraid they would get stolen. One day he tells me he is in dire need of cash and thought it may be time to sell them. He was sure I probably didn't have the funds for the books because he looked in Wizard and Mr.Wizard said he had like over $200,000 worth of books maybe even more because his books were incredibly perfect. He knew I knew a lot of dealer that had funds who would be interested in a rare find. Well, of course, first off I usually think people who aren't comic collectors don't know much about titles and make mistakes as well as over value their stuff. When he told me his were never removed from the package, I knew he was going to be really disappointed. He comes in with a briefcase with his precious Superman Action comics reprint, a Spider-man #1, and a few other more modern books. He went on to tell me he had helped a friend clean out an apartment and found them in the trash. To top it off when I tried honestly to point out he was mistaken he accused me of being a swindler trying to cheat him out of his books by telling him lies. He was convinced that he had a Superman first appearance worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and a first print Amazing Spider-man. He left angry refusing to believe me at all. I ended up saying something along the lines of "Send them to Mr. Wizard and he'll tell you the same thing!"

Honestly there are a lot of scam artist on the internet but also just a few stupid one and people that just don't know what they have. A lot of people think it says #1 so it must be worth loads of money. Some people tell me they have really old, vintage comics and they are from 1994. This guy is probably just stupid and who knows there could be some other stupid person saying "WOW! Xmen #1 that's worth a lot!"

Reminds me of the time I went to my friends house. She said her brother found a lot of Marvel comics, with AF15, ASM1, ect. I had my doubts. I went over, and sure enough, all of them were the Marvel Masters edition. I don't think he believed me, but what do I know I guess! lol

Seriously some people have no idea what the difference is between a reprint and not. Some people also get confused as to the difference between Amazing Spider-man and Spider-man, Web of, Spectacular you know what I mean.