• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of my favorite Doc Savage Covers!

6 posts in this topic

I've been working on it for years, but finally got in one of my favorite Doc covers by Larkin. I know taste is individual but I just love this classic underwater scene! It appears eerie and a bit hopeless but somehow you just know that Sub doesn't stand a chance...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=83256

WOW, that is definitely a home run! I like the look of it.

Thanks! I just added another too.... don't know if I can top Cargo Unknown but I have a soft spot for all the Doc Savage Omnibuses... they are big and we were publishing them when I worked at Bantam Books all those years ago. DF

Very nice pieces in your "Dr." Savage gallery! :applause:

What got you interested initially in the Man of Bronze?

As a kid I loved the Doc comics and black and white magazine comics from Marvel. Also, though I am loathe to admit it now, I really enjoyed the movie...*gulp*. Anytime there was a crossover with Doc into the Marvel Superheroes universe it was bigtime. But, I didn't read any of the books by Robeson until college... then when I worked for Bantam in NY, it was a thrill to be re-aquainted by way of those Doc omnibuses.... Man, do I wish I had been into art back then. They had Bamas and Larkins galore, and I'm sure I could have had them for a pittance compared to the new going rates! For me, Doc S. is the perfect blend of almost superhero perfected through force of will and pulpy man's man, who is too busy taking on the ills and evils of the world to get bogged down in the mundane.

Thanks for sharing. My older brother was into DS and had a number of the paperbacks with the Bama covers so I've got a soft spot for him. I never read any until I was perhaps a bit too old and didn't find the original stories quite as good as the Shadow series by Gibson. I saw at least part of the DS TV movie and it wasn't any worse than Marvel movies in the 70s. Not that that's saying much.