• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX unrestored ----> CGC restored??

156 posts in this topic

I would think that since neither CGC or PGX has ever formally published the criteria as to how they precisely determine a book's numeric grade -- its apple & oranges.

Restoration detection, however, should be cut and dry...or does PGX consider pressing restoration?

Bill

While I have submitted many PGX books to CGC I have never gotten one back as restored by CGC. But I'm sure it will happen some day. But after you crack that PGX holder do your own restoration check like you would on a raw book. If you send it in the PGX holder then you won't be able to do your own check so then it is a little more bit more of a role of the dice.

whats the rules in a thread like this?...i know you can not post pgx books for sale in the forum sales thread,but can you post before(pgx) and after (cgc) books here for comparison when cracking and resubbing to cgc a pgx book?

whats the rules in a thread like this?...i know you can not post pgx books for sale in the forum sales thread,but can you post before(pgx) and after (cgc) books here for comparison when cracking and resubbing to cgc a pgx book?

I can see the logic for not selling PGX books on the CGC message boards...but I dont think there would be a problem with showing "before and after" pics.

I dont think we would need to consult the gods for this one...

I kept the labels, so I was just going to post the book with the old PGX label above. Is that not okay?

Got the first one back with my modern submission. Kind of a funny story, I bought a 7,5 Werewolf by Night 32 PGX 7.5, the buyer shipped it in a manila envelope and it was nearly folded in half by the time I got it. HUGE color breaking crease right in the middle of the spine, otherwise book was beautiful. I complained to the seller, no response. Complained again and got a terse e-mail that they would refund my money. After two weeks and one more e-mail asking where my money was, I left a Neg, 20 mins after leaving the neg I got a refund on the book. Felt bad, but I gave plenty of warning... Anyway, so essentially I got the book for free, I cracked it out of the destroyed case and wavered whether to sell it as raw or resubmit to CGC, finally submitted to CGC and it came back as an 8.0. So after getting nearly folded double in the mail and sustaining nasty spine damage, the grade went UP. lol

Sure, post PGX books. (thumbs u

The PTB have told me before that showing PGX books is perfectly all right, as doing so in almost all cases makes CGC look better for it.

Just don't try and sell their books here.

I kept the labels, so I was just going to post the book with the old PGX label above. Is that not okay?

Got the first one back with my modern submission. Kind of a funny story, I bought a 7,5 Werewolf by Night 32 PGX 7.5, the buyer shipped it in a manila envelope and it was nearly folded in half by the time I got it. HUGE color breaking crease right in the middle of the spine, otherwise book was beautiful. I complained to the seller, no response. Complained again and got a terse e-mail that they would refund my money. After two weeks and one more e-mail asking where my money was, I left a Neg, 20 mins after leaving the neg I got a refund on the book. Felt bad, but I gave plenty of warning... Anyway, so essentially I got the book for free, I cracked it out of the destroyed case and wavered whether to sell it as raw or resubmit to CGC, finally submitted to CGC and it came back as an 8.0. So after getting nearly folded double in the mail and sustaining nasty spine damage, the grade went UP. lol

Hit the seller for the resub fee.

Yup. Happens quite a bit actually, GA is a realllll -shoot. But PGX doesn't really discriminate much. I've got two bronze books in PGX holders that I'm really afraid to submit as they are on the list of books confirmed to have been found as restored by CGC when previously in unrestored holders by PGX. Shazam 1 and Swamp Thing 8. I finally rolled the dice on the Swampy, I'll let you know how it turns out if you want. Should be back in a couple of months.

Who would restore a Shazam #1? one of the most hoarded books of the 1970`s right up there with Howard the Duck #1

Yup. Happens quite a bit actually, GA is a realllll -shoot. But PGX doesn't really discriminate much. I've got two bronze books in PGX holders that I'm really afraid to submit as they are on the list of books confirmed to have been found as restored by CGC when previously in unrestored holders by PGX. Shazam 1 and Swamp Thing 8. I finally rolled the dice on the Swampy, I'll let you know how it turns out if you want. Should be back in a couple of months.

Who would restore a Shazam #1? one of the most hoarded books of the 1970`s right up there with Howard the Duck #1

Hammer would trim, color touch, bleach, seal any book that wasn't nailed down.

I would not put ANY book past him. All books were Frankenbooks to him.

Here are pictures of a submission I made last year. I posted this in May when someone else had a question similar to yours.

pgxgrades.jpg

And here are the books.

adventure337.jpg

adventure334.jpg

hero1.jpg

avengers53.jpg

jla41.jpg

If I would have picked one that I thought would get a 9.6 it would have been the JLA 41.

I'm not saying all PGX books grade higher. I have many that are graded 9.0 and would probably get a 9.0. Some might go down. So these were cherry picked from my PGX books that I had picked up over the years.

I'm still floored by the results Ernie not just on the grading, but the two companies having such a difference of opinion on page quality.

Avengers 53 went from White to Off-White

Here are pictures of a submission I made last year. I posted this in May when someone else had a question similar to yours.

pgxgrades.jpg

And here are the books.

adventure337.jpg

adventure334.jpg

hero1.jpg

avengers53.jpg

jla41.jpg

If I would have picked one that I thought would get a 9.6 it would have been the JLA 41.

I'm not saying all PGX books grade higher. I have many that are graded 9.0 and would probably get a 9.0. Some might go down. So these were cherry picked from my PGX books that I had picked up over the years.

great results!!!

I'm still floored by the results Ernie not just on the grading, but the two companies having such a difference of opinion on page quality.

And the Adventure Comics 337 going from Cream to Off-White to Off-White is really interesting. I would think by the time pages are going Cream, that would be tough to judge it otherwise.

PGX definitely missed the mark on that one.

Years ago I talked with Daniel and he felt he wanted to be known as a tough grader. It never made sense to me. He stinks on the low end. He's usually close on the page quality. In this case some page quality went up, some went down.

I have a book in there right now that he listed as off-white and I think it will come back as cream to off-white.

I thought that one was going to get OW/W, but I was still happy about the grade!!!