• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cheapest way to mail 30 - ish lbs of books?

11 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Im moving from New York back to Ca... I have been in NY for 6 months, and I have purchased probably 30 lbs of trade paperbacks, etc.. from the LCS...

I have them all packed into one box... One of the 12" by 18"

Im not as worried about condition, as they are trades, but I want to mail them the most economical way poss back home...

Is Media mail the cheapest? Or is there an option in fedex or a company like that that is cheaper?

Thanks!

Tyler

Media Mail is used for books, film, manuscripts, printed music, printed test materials, sound recordings, play scripts, printed educational charts, loose-leaf pages and binders consisting of medical information, videotapes, and computer-recorded media like CDs and diskettes. Media Mail cannot contain advertising.

I'm pretty sure there is a "Books Only" shipping. It was made so the Library could ship super cheap. I could be wrong and Media is all there is, but I could have sworn......

Media Mail is used for books, film, manuscripts, printed music, printed test materials, sound recordings, play scripts, printed educational charts, loose-leaf pages and binders consisting of medical information, videotapes, and computer-recorded media like CDs and diskettes. Media Mail cannot contain advertising.

I'm pretty sure there is a "Books Only" shipping. It was made so the Library could ship super cheap. I could be wrong and Media is all there is, but I could have sworn......

Media mail used to be called the Book Rate - the name changed when they started allowing movies, cd's, etc to be sent under that rate as well.

Don't forget about "Bound Printed Matter" - it is almost as cheap as Media Mail, and you can ship comics using it.

The only thing is, you have to go to the post office, it is not an option on PayPal or even the USPS web site.

-slym

Don't forget about "Bound Printed Matter" - it is almost as cheap as Media Mail, and you can ship comics using it.

The only thing is, you have to go to the post office, it is not an option on PayPal or even the USPS web site.

-slym

Actually, they specifically DO NOT TAKE BOUND PRINTED MATTER at the Post Office desk anymore.

You now need a mailing permit, must pay a one-time application fee of $180, pay a $180 per year permit fee, a deposit, and an imprint. You also need to mail 300 pieces at a time.

-slym

Actually, they specifically DO NOT TAKE BOUND PRINTED MATTER at the Post Office desk anymore.

You now need a mailing permit, must pay a one-time application fee of $180, pay a $180 per year permit fee, a deposit, and an imprint. You also need to mail 300 pieces at a time.

Really??? Wow, I had no idea! Thanks for the clarification...

:eek:

-slym

-slym

Really??? Wow, I had no idea! Thanks for the clarification...

:eek:

-slym

BPM was removed from the "retail services" menu in the recent past. It's a commercial-only service now with a slightly different name.