• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which defects do CGC punish more?

45 posts in this topic

Numero uno = stains.

Yes, I believe so, too. My recent submission had several 9.4-9.8 X-mens except for 2 which had some small stains on the back (which I obviously missed :frustrated: ) They graded out at 7.5

Just curious if you are talking about otherwise HG books getting hammered for CBC's?

9.0 type books getting 8.5 instead?

More along the lines of 9.0 books getting 7.5's and 8.0's.

And again, as I said, my list does not include the obvious things like stains and large CB creases. I'm basically looking for opinions on what they punish most from the options that I provided.

I have many slabs from different submission's over time and I still can't figure out why I have 8.0's that look better than my 9.2's on plenty of books. (shrug)

It must be my eyesight, combined with the fact that I don't want to call for grader's notes every time I get books graded that I disagree with.

They may be inconsistent on that. I had a great looking ASM#63 that was a 9.4/9.6 that graded at 9.2 because of slight rust on the interior of the staples and an ink smudge on the front cover.

Well, not really, I'm guessing that Joe's was a Modern and yours is an SA :grin:

:gossip: And btw, there is absolutely no reason to send in a book with "slight" staple rust :baiting:

Bronze age David.

They may be inconsistent on that. I had a great looking ASM#63 that was a 9.4/9.6 that graded at 9.2 because of slight rust on the interior of the staples and an ink smudge on the front cover.

Well, not really, I'm guessing that Joe's was a Modern and yours is an SA :grin:

:gossip: And btw, there is absolutely no reason to send in a book with "slight" staple rust :baiting:

Bronze age David.

He's using the CGC designation :gossip:

i had an amazing spiderman#15 i got slabbed a few years ago that had a dust shadow and thought because of that it would get around a 7.0 but it came back cgc 8.0. it surprised me but i was happy.

bottom line.......grading is subjective...........even for CGC. if they had an air tight objective, 100% reliable (borrowing from research in which reliable means the extent to which the same grade is given by the same person at a different time or by two different persons at the same time) then they would freely make available their standards to the public instead of keeping them secret.

that being said....cgc is mostly more conservative than other amature graders which makes it a great service for internet purchases, and the resto check is nice.

Hi everyone,

With respect to non-color breaking indentations/impressions, to what extent do they hurt the grade of a book that is otherwise perfect? What if there was 1 dent on the front cover inside of the spine? What if there were 2, 3 or 4, etc. on the front cover? How many are allowable before the grade goes down .2/.5grade points or even a full 1 point or 2? I keep buying books on ebay that arrive with these dents, even though the photos don't reflect them in the listing and they are undisclosed. Would you please give me your insight?

Thanks.

Whats going on everyone?

I just got an Amazing Spider-Man 25 that I thought for sure would grade CGC 9.4 and it came back a 9.0. The only thing I could find wrong with it is that its slightly miscut at the top. Does anyone know if CGC grades harshly on mis-cut books? Thanks for the opinions.

Whats going on everyone?

I just got an Amazing Spider-Man 25 that I thought for sure would grade CGC 9.4 and it came back a 9.0. The only thing I could find wrong with it is that its slightly miscut at the top. Does anyone know if CGC grades harshly on mis-cut books? Thanks for the opinions.

If you have a scan, it would help. thanks

Just got hammered a full point and a half for tanning . . . and it didn't even make the list :censored:

1 - Stains

2 - Rusty Staples

3 - Tears

4 - CBC's

5 - Tanning

6 - Indentations

I'm unfamiliar with some of the terms being used in this thread :( What are CB's, NCB's and CBC's? I hate having to ask these kind of questions but when you want to know you might as well ask :grin:

I'm unfamiliar with some of the terms being used in this thread :( What are CB's, NCB's and CBC's? I hate having to ask these kind of questions but when you want to know you might as well ask :grin:

CB = color breaking

NCB = non-color breaking

CBC's = color breaking creases

We need to add dust shadows.

I always wonder about chips on the corners or edges. How much does it affect grade, and depending on the size of the chip how much does it affect?

DRX

We need to add dust shadows.

I always wonder about chips on the corners or edges. How much does it affect grade, and depending on the size of the chip how much does it affect?

DRX

Guacamole is worse . . . :baiting:

I had a great looking ASM#63 that was a 9.4/9.6 that graded at 9.2 because of slight rust on the interior of the staples and an ink smudge on the front cover.

asm63-92.jpg

What's going on underneath the R in Spider-man on the FC? If that's not on the case or your scanner - it looks like a stain of some sort.

I had a great looking ASM#63 that was a 9.4/9.6 that graded at 9.2 because of slight rust on the interior of the staples and an ink smudge on the front cover.

What's going on underneath the R in Spider-man on the FC? If that's not on the case or your scanner - it looks like a stain of some sort.

:gossip: I think that is the ink smudge.