• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics Now 4 Bucks

85 posts in this topic

With each price increase I drop a title or 2. If they go from $3 to $4 I may give up most of the rest and only buy older books.

I don't think I'm there yet I still enjoy the stories so I'll keep buying the new issues. Of course the only Marvel book I buy is Nova. He really isn't touched by the rest of the Marvel universe which is good for I don't really care for most of the titles right now. Ever since Civil War I feel it's been down hill.

I stopped buying off the newstand when the Dollar comics (80pgs,no ads) came out and I bought a few and then the no ads part of the deal was dropped.

Then I realized the game they were playing and started seeing it in other products like candy bars and chips. They slowly whittle the size down then sudddenly increase the size with a higher price then start slowly whittling down the size...rinse and repeat

It doesn't matter what the price is over the decades that people choose to stop its all about when you start feeling played and not getting value for your money.

Think about this for a second. In 1988 Marvel raised their prices to $1.00 a comic. This was the most expensive a comic had been in regards to inflation. Even higher than 1934 when More Fun Comics cost 10 cents. People were extremely outraged that a comic company could actually charge a dollar for just one comic. Now flash forward 21 years later, and the same comic including inflation would be $1.85 in today's money. That means that comics books have more than doubled in real price in the past 21 years.

Think about this for a second. In 1988 Marvel raised their prices to $1.00 a comic. This was the most expensive a comic had been in regards to inflation. Even higher than 1934 when More Fun Comics cost 10 cents. People were extremely outraged that a comic company could actually charge a dollar for just one comic. Now flash forward 21 years later, and the same comic including inflation would be $1.85 in today's money. That means that comics books have more than doubled in real price in the past 21 years.

at dcbs $2.99 comics are $1.79 and $3.99 are $2.39, heck if you wait 4 months, chuck at mile high sells most new stuff under $2.00 bucks.I don`t know anyone that pays retail at there lcs.

My LCS makes people pay retail, I get a discount because I use to work for him. A new customer comes to town and has say 10 books pulled, regular price. He can do that because he is the only game in town.

As for the reason price keep going up, well you have really nice paper, expensive writes/artists, shipping prices have gone up, the LCS needs to make a cut and I think Previews made a change where a title has to make more money then it use to just to be listed.

If you think about it the DC and Marvel titles for kids are pretty cheap, but they have basic stories, simple art and are printed on newsprint. So comics could be cheaper, we just may not like the way they become cheaper.

I'd gladly go back to newsprint if they'd drop the price by a buck...

-slym

Speak for your self dude! I'd rather they make the comics black & white then go back to newsprint.

I stopped buying new comics in the 90's when We stopped carrying new issues in the store and went to back issues only. I carried a only few new titles for regular customers that were special order and bought thousands of copies for speculators through another shop. My new comic reads are from friends or purchased in collections.

If new comics want to command such high prices, they could write better storylines. Don't get me wrong,some new comics I have read are excellent and have a compelling story that makes me want to borrow the next issue from a friend. Then there are the real let downs with little or no dialogue and three quarters of the pages are advertising. With all the advertising they sell the books should be cheap!

-slym

Speak for your self dude! I'd rather they make the comics black & white then go back to newsprint.

I believe I was speaking for myself, and only myself.

(shrug)

-slym

For me, the biggest deterant to buying Moderns isnt just the price, its the Value. Im not the first to mention this, but if it took a little longer than 5 to 7 minutes to read a comic I wouldnt mind the 4 dollar price tag so much. Plus the Fact that with Marvel and DC I was buying multiple titles I didnt want, just to keep up with the storyline. I felt like I was being played. Then they Killed Steve Rogers and that was it for me! Have I mentioned the Fact lately that I hate Joe Quesada for allowing that to happen? Oh I have? Well its worth repeating!!

-slym

Agreed! I guess people haven`t opened up a 1980 to 1983 comic in awhile, the printing was atrocious, the printing is so bad it makes the Marvel Essentials line look like a Marvel Masterwork!

-slym

Agreed! I guess people haven`t opened up a 1980 to 1983 comic in awhile, the printing was atrocious, the printing is so bad it makes the Marvel Essentials line look line like a Marvel Masterwork!

lol

-slym

Agreed! I guess people haven`t opened up a 1980 to 1983 comic in awhile, the printing was atrocious, the printing is so bad it makes the Marvel Essentials line look line like a Marvel Masterwork!

Yeah but those 30-40-60-75 cent books are now actually worth a little MORE whereas today's 4$ books are worthless as soon as you walk out the door of the LCS and only give you at most 10 min of entertainment. I'll be done with Marvel after ASM 600.

Who can justify paying 4$ for Marvel Divas #1?? And I don't care if the paper is spun out of gold fiber.

-slym

I kind of agree.

Comics these days are way too slick like high end magazines. They should cut the price in half and go back to a cheaper format or increase the size back to 80 pages

I think it would also benefit the HG collectors too because all the books wouldn't remain high grade if the owner didn't take care of it like we all do and that would affect the scarcity in our favour.

They should leave the slick print paper for the graphic novel books

I stopped buying new books from the LCS about 4 years ago because of the prices and buy them at dollar booths at conventions now. Sure I have to dig a little and it may take a while to find all of them but I don't mind the hunt, plus it's worth it to save the money I do.

Yes I am cheap, but I have a larger collection to show for it :)