• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GOT ONE !!! - Has there been a warehouse find on B&B #106 & #108

23 posts in this topic

OK, what gives here?

It seems every week I see a 9.8 copy of either B&B #106 or #108 or both for auction somewhere.

This week Heritage has a 9.8 copy of both of them ...... again

five 9.8 copies on Heritage alone in last 6 months

five 9.8 copies on Heritage alone in last 5 months.

Here's another #108 in 9.8 on ebay this week.

I keep bidding less and less for these because they keep coming (I still have not won a copy).

I know it's only B&B but this is weird. Someone must have found an old unopened case of both of these comics.

Hmmm...both of those issues of B & B were issued in DC Super-Pac 3 packs in 1973 and it's possible that some quantity of the unopened packs were found and the individual issues liberated. That would account for the high grades and (presumably) white pages. Nevertheless, both issues are quite good with that still early Aparo Batman art and the incomparable Bob Haney stories! Not to mention Greeen Arrow, Sgt. Rock and Hitler!!!

Hmmm...both of those issues of B & B were issed in DC Super-Pac 3 packs in 1973 and it's possible that some quantity of the unopened packs were found and the individual issues liberated. That would account for the high grades and (presumably) white pages. Nevertheless, both issues are quite good with that still early Aparo Batman art and the incomparable Bob Haney stories! Not to mention Greeen Arrow, Sgt. Rock and Hitler!!!

I want a #111 in 9.8 with the Joker team-up

Great Aparo art

Yes, a very cool issue! It was the last issue before the 100 page format began and the very last 20-center! Joker team-ups became more or less commonplace in the later 70's (especially once he got his own mag), but in 1974 it was still kinda fresh.

Hmmm...both of those issues of B & B were issued in DC Super-Pac 3 packs in 1973 and it's possible that some quantity of the unopened packs were found and the individual issues liberated. That would account for the high grades and (presumably) white pages. Nevertheless, both issues are quite good with that still early Aparo Batman art and the incomparable Bob Haney stories! Not to mention Greeen Arrow, Sgt. Rock and Hitler!!!

What was the other two books packaged with the B & B?

I wish there was a warehouse find of ULTRA HIGH-GRADE MIRACLEMAN comics. :sigh:

No you don't

It would ruin the fun of finding the ultra high grade copies

Unless of course you are the guy who makes the warehouse find

Those multi packs are a blessing. Flood the market and I can afford them!

did they ever put FF #112 in a multi-pack

someone just paid $24k for a copy

God I wish :wishluck: If someone just unloaded an overstock longbox and 20 more copies hit market at 9.8 I could afford a 9.6 without thought.

Hmmm...both of those issues of B & B were issed in DC Super-Pac 3 packs in 1973 and it's possible that some quantity of the unopened packs were found and the individual issues liberated. That would account for the high grades and (presumably) white pages. Nevertheless, both issues are quite good with that still early Aparo Batman art and the incomparable Bob Haney stories! Not to mention Greeen Arrow, Sgt. Rock and Hitler!!!

Great Aparo art

Also, I think B&Bs from this era are a bit more common than other eras. This is just my observation with no hard data to back it up. #111 with the Joker is very easy to find in high grade. Also, #120 with Kamandi.

my guess is those damn multi packs. HOM #210 has surged to the moon with 9.8s after those multi packs were sold.

Multi-packs?

Are you guys saying that those dangerous old polybags don't actually cause any damage after decades of decay?

D@mn.

What were the other two books packaged with the B & B?

Packaged with Brave & Bold #106 (DC Super Pac A-3) were actually two books valued at even more than the B & B:

>>THE PHANTOM STRANGER #24 with a Spawn of Frankenstein story with art by Mike Kaluta

>>WONDER WOMAN #205

Along with Brave & Bold #108 (DC Super Pac B-7) were two other interesting books:

>>KAMANDI #8 with Kirby/Royer cover/art

>>SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN #159 nearing the end of this title's run

Other B & B's included in multi-packs were #104 (Batman & Deadman), #105 (w/ Wonder Woman) and #107 (w/ Black Canary). Those issues were packaged with titles like Teen Titans, Mister Miracle, Superman and Wonder Woman.

In the later 70's, the multi-packs were revived under the names DC Dynamite Comics and DC Dynamic Comics (#131, 138 & 139 were among these and packed with issues like Super Friends #2, Isis #2, All-Star #69 [Key - - 1st Huntress], All-Star #70 and Action Comics #479). In addition there were 3 packs of the Whitman variants (#150, 151 & 152).

I owned all of these at one point, but sold them over the past few years, so I am probably guilty of contributing to the flooding of the market. I never had any of them slabbed however. I just couldn't bear to rip open the plastic packs after all those years. I'm certain that there are others out there who had no such qualms. Pity.

What were the other two books packaged with the B & B?

Packaged with Brave & Bold #106 (DC Super Pac A-3) were actually two books valued at even more than the B & B:

>>THE PHANTOM STRANGER #24 with a Spawn of Frankenstein story with art by Mike Kaluta

>>WONDER WOMAN #205

Along with Brave & Bold #108 (DC Super Pac B-7) were two other interesting books:

>>KAMANDI #8 with Kirby/Royer cover/art

>>SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN #159 nearing the end of this title's run

Other B & B's included in multi-packs were #104 (Batman & Deadman), #105 (w/ Wonder Woman) and #107 (w/ Black Canary). Those issues were packaged with titles like Teen Titans, Mister Miracle, Superman and Wonder Woman.

In the later 70's, the multi-packs were revived under the names DC Dynamite Comics and DC Dynamic Comics (#131, 138 & 139 were among these and packed with issues like Super Friends #2, Isis #2, All-Star #69 [Key - - 1st Huntress], All-Star #70 and Action Comics #479). In addition there were 3 packs of the Whitman variants (#150, 151 & 152).

I owned all of these at one point, but sold them over the past few years, so I am probably guilty of contributing to the flooding of the market. I never had any of them slabbed however. I just couldn't bear to rip open the plastic packs after all those years. I'm certain that there are others out there who had no such qualms. Pity.

I have seen a bunch of the multi packs sell on the forums and get opened and sent to CGC.

Are you guys saying that those dangerous old polybags don't actually cause any damage after decades of decay?

Actually, I did have the opportunity to open one or two of the polybagged mult-packs (that contained titles or issues that I really didn't collect) and I have to say that they were as flat and as straight-off-the-press fresh smelling as anything I have ever seen (or smelled). Also, the pages were snowy white without any evidence of yellowing, tanning, foxing or any other defects. I've always heard about the deleterious effects of the poly bags like off-gassing, etc., but if after 35 years of exposure to these supposedly detremental plasticine environmental effects, these are the results, then I'd say that the comics contained within are safe. I don't know if that's true in every case, however, and who knows what the next 35 years would bring?

Darn! I remember I even had 3-packs with keys like Batman #251 (Neal Adams' Joker), Adventure #431 (Spectre by Aparo begins), Batman #246 (Adams hanging cover), Batman #253 (with The Shadow by Kaluta), Detective #434 (1st Spook), The Flash #219 (Neal Adams' Green Lantern back-up story), Justice League of America #107 (JSA x-over and 1st Freedom Fighters), Shazam! #1 (Captain Marvel revival), Superboy #197 (Legion series begins), Supergirl #1 and World's Finest #215 (1st Super-Sons)! I just can't continue...it's too painful. Whatever made me think it was a good idea to sell them? Oh, well. I think I paid a few cable bills with the proceeds.