• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early TMNT COVER art day!

16 posts in this topic

Well, my day just got better.

TMNT Cover

You may have seen this piece offered earlier this week. Nobody knew anything about it, including myself. It looked like it might have been published somewhere but nobody knew where. I dug through all of my books, chatted with other collectors, and no one could not find it. Even if it wasn't pub., I still loved the piece. Its Kevin’s paints and features my fav secondary character the Fugitoid. So I made a play for it and luckily landed it.

The seller was kind enough to forward me some correspondence he had with Peter Laird about it and in it, Pete mentioned that he thought it might have been a back cover for something but he wasn’t sure. At the time, I didn’t think much about it: I just wanted the piece in hand. Well, when the piece arrived today I decided to do another search, this time focusing on back covers which I wasn’t at looking at the first go round. And sure enough I find it as a back cover in my box of comics that contains TMNT appearances and ads! I now own my 3rd early TMNT cover when all I thought I was getting was a cool painting! The art was also used as an ad in the same book.

And speaking of ads, as if that this full painting wasn’t enough of an art day, I also put up today in honor of me NOT attending this year’s San Diego Con, ad art from when Kev and Pete attended SDCC for the first time back in ’85! The only time I had seen this image prior to this was in Kevin’s Artobiography.

San Diego Comic Con Ad art

So all in all, a pretty fantastic day!

Here is a pic of the back cover for New Age Comics #1. I knew about the ad but never mentioned it. I need to speak up more on these boards. doh!

Great pick-up TMNTerminator. (thumbs u :applause:

Back Cover

scan0009.jpg

Front Cover

scan0018-8.jpg

Thanks again everyone!

very nice! I like how on the ad page the turtles have brought their swords, their luggage, and some brewskis lol

I know, isn't that hilarious? Love those old beer drinking Turtles. Raph is actually drinking one as he hangs on to the plane!

I thought I'd bring this back since my latest "art day" (sort of - its more an "art revelation") is related to the initial purchase that landed me the early cover that I started this thread about.

Though I've had this piece for a bit now, I feel it deserves a bit of an reintroduction.

TMNT art

For a while now, I thought that this piece was simply an amazing early, painted '85 convention piece by Eastman. And as I'm sort of focusing on published pieces at this time, I've been casually trying to sell it. One of those cases where if it sells, great, but if it doesn't, I won't be too mad about it. Well, in the process of that, a potential buyer brought it to my attention that the piece was actualy published. On the inside cover of an early book, 1986's Turtlemania Special #1!!

I already really liked the piece, and had just decided I was going to keep it rather than sell, but this latest bit of info is really the icing on the cake. One minute its a simply a sweet convention piece, the next its an inside cover piece!