• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The official "BONE" thread

20 posts in this topic

This thread is for keithdagen. He would like to discuss bone. I do not have a clue as to what bone is but I am sure that many of you do. Please enlighten me on just what "bone" is. Is it a comic? Is it a secret name you guys are going to start calling me? If it is then please call me "Bone wannabe"

Phil

This really was lighthearted but Keith seriously would like to discuss the title with someone who knows something about it (unfortunately I don't know anything about it). Hop on into this thread Keith, the water is fine, and Joanna is nice to chat with.

Phil

This really was lighthearted but Keith seriously would like to discuss the title with someone who knows something about it (unfortunately I don't know anything about it). Hop on into this thread Keith, the water is fine, and Joanna is nice to chat with.

I was really just jesting. I posted some stuff on the Modern board a few months back (I think) and no one responded. Was more curious than anything.

I have the complete run, all in first print. For the first 7 or 8 issues, they get hard to find.

Hey you Texas deer killer, go back to the water forum if you want to cause some ruckus!

I'm not picky -- I'll hunt non-Texas deer. And I'm not a trouble-maker, at least not by Comic Forum standards. I do have a complete run of Marvel and Dark Horse Star Wars as well as the aforementioned Bone.

Was more curious than anything.

Curious about what? Joanna can answer anything. Gahead Gahead try her. She is waaaaaaay smarter than me. She probably knows the title like the back of her hand. I on the other hand, have only recently become acquainted with the back of my hand, so I would be of little help.

Phil

Um... Phil... I read them a long time ago. I don't know it very well at all.

Aha, see there. She knows that they were printed a long time ago. I would have had to do research to know that. Joannas mind is like a vault I tell you, she knows more than she is letting on. She likes to be modest. I for example do not even know what Bone is, is he a dog? Or is he actually a walking talking femur? (A femur is an arm bone right?) Does he like cake?

Phil

All first issues? Impressive. I came in late, so I've got reprints up to issue 9.

Here in Dallas, one of the local shops was a huge supporter of Jeff Smith, met the guy at a show somewhere in the Mid-West, and invited him down for a book signing. At the time there were about 12 issues out, and the owner of the store got all 12 issues signed by Jeff (all 1st prints) and had them on the wall of his shop. Every week, I asked how much, and he told me no way. laugh.gif

I got in around issue 10, and found 6 through 9 at the local shop. 5 through 8 were E-Bay finds, one ish at a time. 1 through 4 came as a set, all autographed by Jeff, from a guy liquidating on E-Bay one night about 4 years ago.

I loved Groo!! I even had Sergio draw me a sketch at a con once (we got the same ride from the airport). I grew up on his work in Mad, and had such a good time reading Groo. I never tried to get the back issues, just read whatever was out. Great series.

-- Joanna

Bone is one of the best comic books at the moment...it's kind of like Carl Barks' stories mixed with fantasia. (I'm a huge Barks fan)

Few years ago I knew nothing about Jeff Smith and his comics. One day I visited

local bookstore here in Finland. As to my surprise store was loaded with people standing in a line waiting for something. Out of curiosity I had to check what was it all about. I discovered that all these people were waiting to get their Bone albums signed by Jeff.

As an allround comic fan I decided to give it a try and bought the first volume. Nearly managed to read that first volume(about 150pages) while waiting, since Jeff drew Phoney Bone inside every book!!

It was really worth wait(well it didn't feel like waiting) because I have been hooked since smile.gif

Bone really is an excellent book and an excellent read. Having said that, I wish it would come to some sort of conclusion or start a new story arc or something. It's started repeating itself. But still, I highly recommend the first 6 TPB's or so.

...really is an excellent book and an excellent read. Having said that, I wish it would come to some sort of conclusion or start a new story arc or something. It's started repeating itself.

You know... I think you can say these exact words about a few dozen titles.... It's a shame so many creators don't recognize when the quality is getting a little thin...

I agree with those before me here... The first few trades of Bone are really quite good, and finding 1st prints of anything under #8 is tough.

Bone really is an excellent book and an excellent read. Having said that, I wish it would come to some sort of conclusion or start a new story arc or something. It's started repeating itself. But still, I highly recommend the first 6 TPB's or so.

This last story arc has gone on forever (it seems), and maybe a lot of that is that Jeff is HORRIBLE about publishing on any kind of schedule.

Aside -- if the Bone series is a rehash of the stuff he did in college, why's it take so long to do an issue???

But, my understanding is that there are less than half a dozen books left in the series, and then he's going to end it.