• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is New Mutants #98 the next Hulk #181?

259 posts in this topic

The popularity of Deadpool is on the rise. But I'm not sure it will be sustained. If in 20 years Deadpool has his own ongoing solo monthly series, is an ongoing featured character in two more team monthly titles, has a guest appearance in at least three other books each month, is the featured in a miniseries and has the next Hugh Jackman portraying him in movies, then Deadpool's popularity and the interest in his first appearance could begin to rival Hulk 181.

Awesome

The popularity of Deadpool is on the rise. But I'm not sure it will be sustained. If in 20 years Deadpool has his own ongoing solo monthly series, is an ongoing featured character in two more team monthly titles, has a guest appearance in at least three other books each month, is the featured in a miniseries and has the next Hugh Jackman portraying him in movies, then Deadpool's popularity and the interest in his first appearance could begin to rival Hulk 181.

Awesome

Boy this guy sure is smart. Wish I could take investment advice from him always. :eyeroll:

I'd say it is neck and neck, with NM 98 starting to pull away. For now.

All it would take is a rumor of a Venom movie appearance to send #300 into orbit.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/spider-man-spinoff-venom-revived-872844 :shrug:

Maybe that was dead not long after it was printed but it was the last I heard. I don't know that it matters, there isn't much in the story to be excited about other than the writer. The guys at Sony can't movie their way out of a paper bag lately.

I'm sick of movie hype driving the value of a comic. What ever happened to rarity driving value?

NM 98 CGC 9.8 should never surpass ASM 300 CGC 9.8 (not saying it won't...just saying it never should).

***Ok, I'm done venting :sumo:

I'd say it is neck and neck, with NM 98 starting to pull away. For now.

All it would take is a rumor of a Venom movie appearance to send #300 into orbit.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/spider-man-spinoff-venom-revived-872844 :shrug:

Maybe that was dead not long after it was printed but it was the last I heard. I don't know that it matters, there isn't much in the story to be excited about other than the writer. The guys at Sony can't movie their way out of a paper bag lately.

I'm sick of movie hype driving the value of a comic. What ever happened to rarity driving value?

NM 98 CGC 9.8 should never surpass ASM 300 CGC 9.8 (not saying it won't...just saying it never should).

I'd get used to it. These movies and TV series are gonna be here for a while messing up our hobby

Because TV and Movies never influenced comic character popularity?

1930-40s

Shadow

Superman

Disney, MGM, Warner Bros cartoons

Captain America's in there somewhere - I've seen the posters

1950s TV

Superman

1960s TV

Batman

Superman

Marvel cartoons

Various newspaper character cartoons

Disney, MGM, Warner Bros Hanna Barbara cartoons

1970s

Superman movie

Sci Fi and Fantasy crossovers

Superfriends

Various Marvel carto0ns (which were pretty bad - I'm looking at you Herbie)

Throughout the GA, SA, and BA comic era's comic books were an extension of newspaper comics, movies, and TV. I think it's great to go in reverse from comics to media.

Neither ASM 300 nor NM 98 is rare, so rarity is out. hm

Ryan Reynolds > Topher Grace

lol

Because TV and Movies never influenced comic character popularity?

1930-40s

Shadow

Superman

Captain America's in there somewhere - I've seen the posters

1950s TV

Superman

1960s TV

Batman

Superman

Marvel cartoons

Various newspaper character cartoons

Disney, MGM, Warner Bros Hanna Barbara cartoons

1970s

Superman movie

Sci Fi and Fantasy crossovers

Superfriends

Various Marvel carto0ns (which were pretty bad - I'm looking at you Herbie)

Throughout the GA, SA, and BA comic era's comic books were an extension of newspaper comics, movies, and TV. I think it's great to go in reverse from comics to media.

I'm sure other forms of media have always hyped comics... since there were comics. However, since they became commonly collectible, this is easily as bad as it has ever been. You don't even have to have a television or movie deal anymore, just rumors of a deal (with or without some basis in reality) and it's off to the races. If the book has the misfortune to be currently ongoing, news of a fallen through deal can literally kill it - more than one example of this has been discussed in modern.

I know it's a bit of a dead horse, but rampant speculation is at an all time high. It's never been easier (buy / sell online, get your information without leaving the house) and comic books have never been more mainstream thanks to technology turning the impossible into the every day on the big screen.

So... your point is certainly valid, but in the last five to ten years, its ramped up to a whole new level.

Indeed it has, no argument there. My thought is that Superman and Mickey Mouse (among many others) are as iconic comic-y characters as they come. I'd suggest that 90% of that or more is due to TV or movie as opposed to comics. Same could be said of moderns - Walking Dead, Deadpool to name a few.

It is easy to compare to the comic hype or even Baseball card hype of 1989 to early 1990s. The difference back then though was it was driven by rampant collectible speculation. Spiderman 1, Xmen 1, Foil covers, etc weren't driven by something new it was all about speculation in being the next collectible. Rookie cards went from valuable to all important (similar to comics) but also went the way of foil and specialty cards. Baseball players and the sport were as popular as they ever were, no more no less. Nothing new drove sports cards other than speculation itself.

The past 10 years are clearly a different animal with the amount of movie and TV being driven by comic book characters and vice versa. Who wouldn't want a 1st appearance of xxxxxx character in the next hit TV show?

At some point we'll hit max saturation and drift down from there but I don't think comics as a whole (super hero, maybe partially) will go the way of the western. Nor will bit characters become the next Superman. But I think most of the characters are here to stay. The top 20-30 comic characters from 1930-1950 are easily identifiable by the vast majority of Americans and world. Can that be said of book characters? reality movie or TV characters? Even musicians or sports stars?

I think this will continue with the likes of Spiderman, Flash, Daredevil on up to Wolverine, Xmen, and then Deadpool, Harley Quinn, and more. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are as popular as ever and will still be here in 50 years; and likely still be every 7 year old boys Halloween costume.

And yes it has ramped up quite a bit, I just think much, though not all of it, is justified.

Now I'm with you on the variants, multiple covers and BS like that. Manufactured collectibles are exactly not collectible IMO.

When I was collecting comics in the early 90s, the Batman movies drove Tec #27 past action #1 as the most expensive/desirable comic. This is nothing new. What's new is the speculation on characters who may or may not be in movies. It's getting to the point where putting "1st appearance of..." on an eBay auction will get the comic to go for 2-10x it's other issues. This is not sustainable and will crash...soon.

Anyone else want to change the thread title to: Is TMNT #1 The Next IH #181? (shrug)

ASM 300, NM98 have too many copies to get much more value. It's Wolverine's world, we're just lucky enough to live in it.

Jerome

Oh yeah, there's a massive shortage of Hulk 181s. lol

There is supposedly an enormous demand for Hulk 181s that far, far exceeds the supply. So it's pretty amazing that 40 years (!) after it was printed, you can still buy copies in nearly any grade 24/7.

Anyone else want to change the thread title to: Is TMNT #1 The Next IH #181? (shrug)

ASM 300, NM98 have too many copies to get much more value. It's Wolverine's world, we're just lucky enough to live in it.

Jerome

Oh yeah, there's a massive shortage of Hulk 181s. lol

There is supposedly an enormous demand for Hulk 181s that far, far exceeds the supply. So it's pretty amazing that 40 years (!) after it was printed, you can still buy copies in nearly any grade 24/7.

That is amazing and good for the collector. I hope that means I'll own one someday :grin: Maybe that's a sign that more are flipping 181 instead of NM98? There's a total of 6482 graded 181s. There's that many NM98s graded over 9.2...

Jerome

Personally wouldn't touch a NM 98 with a 10 ft pole right now, but I don't think the character is going anywhere. I don't see the book getting more expensive - it isn't so much how many there are, it's how many there are in very high grade.

Would love to see what it would have been like if forums such as this existed as far back as we can remember lol.

Profiles would be like "member since 1991" lol.

Obviously it wasn't existent, but imagine the conversations.

Would love to see what it would have been like if forums such as this existed as far back as we can remember lol.

"Deathlok #1 is going to be the hottest thing since New Warriors #1!"

lol

:signfunny: