• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Diego area comic stores to visit........which ones??

8 posts in this topic

As the subject heading states, I'm traveling to the San Diego area and will have some time to visit the local comic books stores. Which shops are a must visit? Any new shops to check out? My interests range from silver age to modern books, mini busts and statues, star wars, action figures, etc. Thanks in advance to all members for their suggestions ;)

As fate would have it, I will be in the area after the SDCC. :cry: I presume that these two stores have been in the area for some time...thanks again for the information.

San Diego Comics on El Cajon, On Comic Ground is on University Ave. both in the university area. Stop at Colima's on University for great, yummy, authentic mexican food at super cheap prices. Further down from Colima's is Western Steakburger which is one of the bestest every hamburger places a unique place decent price. If you want to eat something more pricey try Hamburger Mary's for an awesome Sunday champagne brunch (I know the name says hamburger and western but the restaurant is how can I put it lets say artsy with fancy fare). There is also the Library Lounge, or Clair De Lune's for coffee and a snack.

There is Comic Gallery (pricey, artsy, near the SD zoo in the Balboa park area). You can always visit the San Diego Zoo.

Galactic Comics I am not sure I remember where they were but remember the name anyway. Everything I mentioned is accessable by public transportation.Buy a day or days long bus/trolley pass and get as many rides and transfers as you want way cheaper than gas or a cab. SD has a lovely public transportation system.

You can visit Old Town San Diego, the food is expensive, but you can visit the Whaley house supposedly the most haunted in America according to Life magazine. There are also other historical places that are fun to see.

BE SURE to eat at least once at D*ick's Last Resort (this is not a curse word it is the name of a restaurant really) downtown in the convention area. The waiters get paid to be rude and insulting it is funny and a great place to hang out after a day of comic book shopping. Ask for Taco he is the best most entertaining waiter they have. I can also recommend a bunch of great places to in SD off the beaten path if you are staying for a few days and don't want to spend your comic budget on pricey eats and entertainment! Downtown near the hotels a bottled beer can run $7-$9 a short ride away there are many fine places to get a better deal and soak up more local flavor.

Stay away from Comics NStuff they don't have much in the way of back issues and are very over priced more of a commercial chain of stores. Don't bother with other shops in LaMesa,El Cajon, or in National City (too far not good neighborhoods)

You can always take the trolley down to TJ for so Tijuana Bibles (nastyyy itty comics)

Visit Lajolla see the seals at Seal Beach, Visit O.B. Ocean Beach, (stay away from P.B. pacific beach bad area) If you go to OB try visiting "The Black" for trade paper backs indie comics reprints of hippie comics and all kinds of cool hippie stuff. In Ocean Beach eat at Hodad's for great hamburgers fries and shakes.

If you are staying at a core downtown hotel during the con they have buses /transportation to and from the con for free. If you check with the hotel they can tell you the schedule of the free transportation. If you are driving and NOT staying in a core downtown hotel use Park it on Market parking garage they always have the best rates (they may seem expensive but after you get towed when you are conned by a cheap parking lot scammer you'll think it would've been better to pay more to be closer.) They are safe and close to walk from and on the up and up. A lot of guys will don a red/oragne jacket and hang out and charge for parking and tell you to park in an empty lot behind a store. Then you find out hours later the guy was just a scam artist and took peoples money while directing them to a no public parking area.