• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LOOK OUT! There's a MONSTER COMING!

14 posts in this topic

Just came across a great site.....called Monster Blog. Contains a comprehensive catalog of all the pre-hero monsters that Kirby created along with splash pages on most of them. The real treasure of this site is a page containing scans of complete stories, all of which were never reprinted. There are about 15 to 20 of these. Go. Look. Have Fun!

http://monsterblog.oneroom.org/

That's a very cool site. Between all the forum regulars, I'll bet those remaining non-reprinted stories could all be added to the site within a week...especially of Hoo Dee would crack some of his slabs!

It would be nice if this guy were to receive some help from forum members......it's a pretty worthy (and mind-boggling) endevour.

true but aren't there copyright issues that make this a problem? Or does the time since publication bring this material into public domain? Doubtful, but maybe someone more knowledgeable could share more on this. I think scan compilations of covers is one thing, but scans of the entire contents usually gets you into trouble - I know it comes up on eBay sometimes where some sellers are offering a disc full of covers but I don't see auctions for discs full of stories stay up very long

Well, it's not like he's selling anything. It's more of a tribute site, so it's not a clear-cut copyright problem as far as I can see. If I were Marvel, I'd let it fly.

The same way Kazaa.com is a "tribute" site 893scratchchin-thumb.giftongue.gif You know if his site has pop up ads and advertising it really isn't a true tribute site, IMO - he's got to fund the storage space and bandwidth use somehow confused-smiley-013.gif

I think it's cool too but I wonder about putting the effort in for scanning ( when I'm too lazy to scan my own books for auction on ebay tongue.gif ) when there is a looming threat that one of the big publishers will put ther foot down (legally) and force it off the web?

If Marvel did have a problem with the site and asked him to remove it, he would have to comply, little doubt about that. I sent the creator of the site an email asking about the copyright issue. Hope I don't scare the heck out of him.

I think the silver age marvel comic cover gallery (which is currently not accesible) has plenty of links too. I'd just love to see this Monster Blog site expand, at least until Marvel gets around to producing compilations of all these wonderful alien/monster/horror stories in Marvel Masterworks editions..and I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

And it does have the look and feel of a true labor-of-love type project. I could be wrong, but there's nothing there that would make me think the guy is trying to make a buck on this stuff.

There is a portion/section of the animated DVD Spider-Man vs Daredevil, that Stan Lee talks about the names of all the monsters,"We didn't know what to call them, so I was coming with "Trogg, Umbaa, Undull, the one that seems to have stuck was of course"Fin Fang Foom", which the later part"Foom" became the acronym for "Freinds of ole Marvel". Nice find Redhook! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if, deep within the bowels of Marvel (now there's a mental picture for y'all), they do in fact keep track of copyrights on even this sort of stuff. Some day Marvel might well decide to reprint these stories in some form.

However, if you own a copy of TOS # 11 and you choose to scan the pages, and then you email those scans to someone who's "considering buying the comic," and they choose not to buy the comic but decide to post the scans on a public website, I doubt very much that you as the provider of the original scans could be held liable in any way.

xcellent loophole, garth! 893applaud-thumb.gif I guess the entire risk is then taken by whoever posts to the public website - I just thought about all of us here that post scans of interior pages and original art and it would be quite the task for the big Two to come after everyone - why would they and what would they have to gain for it?

Besides, I would think that it all promotes interest in the hobby, the publishing company, the product.....it's advertising! Again, as long as no one is trying to subvert the companies ability to sell their product.

Think of it as free product placement!

Why do you think there are so many chatboards hosted by commercial entities? Including CGC itself, which is smart to do it.

I received a very nice email from Phil Parodayco, who is the man behind Monster Blog. He is aware of copyright law, and I think his approach is reasonable. Again, if Marvel decided to make an issue out of it, he would cooperate with their wishes, and as he says so himself, he'd love to see Marvel reprint these in nice editions. But here is my email and his reply.....

Hi Phil,

I put your web link up at the users forum at www.cgccomics.com, because

I think your site is great. One question came up....of copyright. Have

you had, or would you forsee any problems with Marvel about putting

material up like that?

Best, Brad

I received his reponse this evening:

Hi Brad,

Thanks so much for the helpful PR! I read the forum discussion on CGC and

have to admit I got all warm and fuzzy seeing my project generating such a

nice conversation. I'd like to write a little message for you to post there

on my behalf:

--------------------------

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your enthusiasm for Monster Blog! Such praise warms my

heart and make me glad I created this site for you to enjoy. As you've all

guessed, this is nothing more nor less than a labor of love. I want this

site to be a great tribute to some great creators during a rather neglected

period in comics history. Contrary to common perception, the cost of running

this web site is rather negligible and I expect it to be around for a very

long time to come.

As for the copyright issues, I discussed this with a copyright attorney and

he believes I have a strong case for "fair use". An excellent discussion of

that legal concept can be found at http://www.cetus.org/fairindex.html and

specifically http://www.cetus.org/fair5.html. We believe that the scans of

individual stories probably exceed the amount or substantiality concept of

fair use. However, we don't believe my project overall is violating any of

the other criteria for limitations on exclusive rights. The total picture

weighs heaviest in any "fair use" case and the fact that Marvel hasn't

offered _any_ of these stories for sale in at least ten years, and in most

cases 28-45 years, limits my risk and liability.

I would love, love, love for Marvel or some licensee to publish complete

reprints of these great comics. If and when that time comes, I would gladly

remove the story scans from my web site. I have no desire to conflict with

Marvel's commercial aspirations for its copyrighted material. As it stands,

you and I have seen many examples people offering page scans on the web,

including major companies such as Mile High Comics. If these comics were

available for purchase, I would tell everyone to get in line to buy the

reprint books!

Some of you were talking about helping out with my wish list for missing

stories. I would appreciate any and all help I can get with Monster Blog.

Even if you can't help there, I welcome your comments and offers of articles

to enrich the site.

Take care,

Phil Parodayco

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

No Place On Earth Will Give You Safety From... Monster Blog!

A Tribute to the Marvel Monster Comics of Jack Kirby

Visit http://monsterblog.oneroom.org