• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manufactured Gold

2,576 posts in this topic

Filter is a great man! So great in fact, I hope to marry him someday!

shy.gif27_laughing.gif

Err... is there a bottle of crown beside you right now Bill? screwy.gifpoke2.gif

Actually no, I do need to go get some soon though, been out for a while.

But, I always keep my sense of humor handy! yay.gif

You are right Red. Absolutely right. But we can holler and yell and complain all we want, but until the rules change we just gotta deal with it. We can't demand Matt do anything other than what he does, and does very well. In his eyes, I assume, he is just making hay while the sun is shining. Some day it will cloud up again and he will adapt and find an alternative income to replace it.

It's not about Matt, or his next income stream. It's not about getting his acquiesence. It's not about blaming him for the current situation. And it's not about accepting things as they are. Otherwise I'd suggest we immediately form a Passives Anonymous support group.

Things are shifting. I totally believe it. As I've noted before...two years ago we were trying to convince boardmembers that pressing was being practiced beyond the occasional isolated instance. We now know it's become standard operating procedure for certain types of books. I think many collectors and current supporters of CGC realize the honeymoon period is over, and are demanding more from their grading company.

I personally look forward to pursuing this issue for years to come. I look forward to convincing these guys that for the long term health of the hobby and for the long term health of their bank accounts....disclosure is the only way to go. It doesn't matter if it takes one, two, five or ten years to change things. It will happen.

I believe the rules won't change unless we continue to holler and yell. I believe there will still be a huge profit margin available to dealers who choose to disclose. I'm curious to see which ones will pass up the short term golden egg and start thinking about the hobby's health five, ten and twenty years down the line.

It would be great if you were right. Very altruistic viewpoint. Sadly, there are few instances in collecting or business in general when the "right thing" to do actually gets done.

I used to rage at moon against a lot of things in the hobby. Poor grading, undisclosed restoration, slabbing, inconsistently graded slabbed books, gift grades, speculators, high grade only collectors, etc, etc.

I grew tired of it and ultimately it spoiled the fun I used to have while collecting. I sort of took a hiatus from books for a few years. Eventually I missed them too much and dove back in. I am having a blast with them again. I collect what I like, crack every slab I buy, read every book I crack, and I don't concern myself with the other issues too much anymore. When I was in something of a position of "power" in the hobby back in the early to mid 90's, I couldn't change anything then. I certainly can't now that I am a just a collector.

But if it makes you feel better to vent, then do so, one day it won't, hopefully

Or.....things will have changed. We obviously approach things differently.

I'm not tired. I'm not raging......and I am having fun! acclaim.gif

Don't confuse my doggedness with rage. The guys on the other side of the issue seem more ticked off than I am.

wink.gif

"Repo Man's got all day. Every day!"

Things are shifting. I totally believe it. As I've noted before...two years ago we were trying to convince boardmembers that pressing was being practiced beyond the occasional isolated instance. We now know it's become standard operating procedure for certain types of books. I think many collectors and current supporters of CGC realize the honeymoon period is over, and are demanding more from their grading company.

I personally look forward to pursuing this issue for years to come. I look forward to convincing these guys that for the long term health of the hobby and for the long term health of their bank accounts....disclosure is the only way to go. It doesn't matter if it takes one, two, five or ten years to change things. It will happen.

I believe the rules won't change unless we continue to holler and yell. I believe there will still be a huge profit margin available to dealers who choose to disclose. I'm curious to see which ones will pass up the short term golden egg and start thinking about the hobby's health five, ten and twenty years down the line.

893applaud-thumb.gifhail.gifthumbsup2.gif

Can't think of a better man for the job...

I would like to add that my tiffs with FFB arise when we're both bored, I think. We agree on alot more than we disagree on.

No, they arise when you're acting like an *spoon*. yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Here is my take on this.

This discussion is a classic battle of "Yes you will" versus "No I won't".

More like " You really should and we'll help" versus "No I won't and you can't make me"

sign-funnypost.gif

I was hoping for a "Sad But Too True" emoticon...... frown.gif

Here is my take on this.

This discussion is a classic battle of "Yes you will" versus "No I won't".

More like " You really should and we'll help" versus "No I won't and you can't make me"

Exactly. Bullseye.

Matt was a great guy to deal with when restoring books. I love talking comics with him and he really knows a lot about them. It's sad to see him get caught up in this mess! His reputation was tops before the press & resub game started. Even though i would deal with you in the future Matt & intend to buy your book -I have to side with full disclosure as the way to go - In the long run your reputation is more important than the $$$!

I have to side with full disclosure as the way to go - In the long run your reputation is more important than the $$$!
yay.gif1466651-1299148-bannannawhip.gif

Really? Matt doesn't think so. In fact, Matt maintains that no one really cares about Pressing. (Matt, I'm not out to lynch you on this thread, I just want to see what percentage of the posters here really care about Pressing).

Let's start a poll.