• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manufactured Gold

2,576 posts in this topic

Bob S.....

was this one of your books? It was part of the same submission.....

What was the original grade? If you tell me it was a 9.6 and someone pressed it.....the world has definitely gone nuts!

Brad

ASM 73 Mass Pedigree..... 9.8!!!!

Yes, this was one of my books, a 9.6 old label. Resubmitted in the same batch of books as the upgraded ASM 21, 46, 68, 72, 86 and Annual 3.

Did you think the book had a shot at 9.8 when you owned it?

Despite being a comic collector for over 30 years, and a high grade back issue collector for the past 13, and despite having personally submitted over 100 books to CGC for grading, and despite having two of them receive 9.8 grades, I can tell you honestly that I have no idea how a book will grade once it reaches the NM+ plateau.

Remember, I had 13 Pacific Coast Journeys and FFs bought raw, and not a single one received a 9.8 grade. On the other hand, there are a whole bunch of PC books sitting currently in 9.8 holders that were originally graded by PCEI no differently than my 9.6 issues. I have also submitted about 15 OO Bronze books that I thought were essentially perfect, and only two of them graded at 9.8.

It is readily apparent I haven't a clue what distinguishes a 9.8 from a 9.6.

Interesting results from the Poll I put in place last night. Was actually quite surprised that it generated 77 votes in a single day. That's a pretty decent sampling size for a 24 hour period.

And if it is indeed representative of the collecting community as a whole, there seems to be a 3-to-1 ratio between those who support Disclosure (Whether they buy/sell Pressed books or not), and those who don't think its important.

Three fourths of those who voted support Disclosure.

Wow, if only our presidential elections were so conclusive.

Matt, did the people you talk to at shows just not get their votes in yet? wink.gif

As long as you just point to poll results from within the Board community, you'll always give the pressers ammunition to say that the Board community is highly unrepresentative to begin with.

What happened to the suggestions to take polls at conventions, to get a larger sample that is not highly self-selected?

Interesting results from the Poll I put in place last night. Was actually quite surprised that it generated 77 votes in a single day. That's a pretty decent sampling size for a 24 hour period.

And if it is indeed representative of the collecting community as a whole, there seems to be a 3-to-1 ratio between those who support Disclosure (Whether they buy/sell Pressed books or not), and those who don't think its important.

Matt, did the people you talk to at shows just not get their votes in yet? wink.gif

As long as you just point to poll results from within the Board community, you'll always give the pressers ammunition to say that the Board community is highly unrepresentative to begin with.

What happened to the suggestions to take polls at conventions, to get a larger sample that is not highly self-selected?

I remember that...

I laid out five very unbiased, questions, which got pretty broad board approval.

FFB insisted that he gave his input and said he would re-jig them so that there was absolutely no hint of 'leading the witness'.

And I never heard another word.... yeahok.gif

I remember that...

I laid out five very unbiased, questions, which got pretty broad board approval.

FFB insisted that he gave his input and said he would re-jig them so that there was absolutely no hint of 'leading the witness'.

Yep, it's all my fault. yeahok.gif

I remember that...

I concur.

Bob, what was the sale price of this book at 9.6, if I might ask? The asking price on the Link is $1,750.00.

Uh, about $575. The buyer got a volume discount. foreheadslap.gif

Huh. He got a volume discount too? yeahok.gif

I remember that...

I didn't say 'It's all FFB's fault', did I?

But tell me I'm wrong in my recollections....

I remember that...

Nope, you're absolutely right. I singlehandedly stopped you guys from doing your poll.

Please don't drag BlazingBob's good name further into the mud. Their is a little too much "guilt by association" going on here. Bob sold the book. He did his job for his consignor. He isn't the Comic Book Pressing Police and it isn't his job to turn selling comic books into an exercise in Morality.

I'm not singling out Bob. If I did I apologize. I believe he is one of the most stand up dealers in the community. I don't believe he did anything wrong. I'm simply trying to understand the philosophical difference between an auction house buying, pressing, and reselling upgrades versus selling books to pressers who will upgrade the books? I keep reading about the auction house's dual interests and sometimes I wonder if they aren't the scapegoat for a frustrating situation.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was trying to say when Bob Siman first reported the upgrading of his books. thumbsup2.gif

It's not about trying to blame Bob Storms or Bob Siman for any of this, it's simply trying to point out that there's a bit of an illusory "feel good about yourself" factor for selling through a "good" dealer. It's like rationalizing that it's okay to drive to work instead of carpooling or taking public transport because you've bought yourself a hybrid.

Bob, what was the sale price of this book at 9.6, if I might ask? The asking price on the Link is $1,750.00.

Uh, about $575. The buyer got a volume discount. foreheadslap.gif

Yikes 893whatthe.gif

It's not about trying to blame Bob Storms or Bob Siman for any of this, it's simply trying to point out that there's a bit of an illusory "feel good about yourself" factor for selling through a "good" dealer. It's like rationalizing that it's okay to drive to work instead of carpooling or taking public transport because you've bought yourself a hybrid.

Only thing is, Tim, that it's not illusory. Consigning books to a trusted seller, one whose business practices you respect and wish to support, is a tangible action on behalf of the hobby.

I remember that...

Nope, you're absolutely right. I singlehandedly stopped you guys from doing your poll.

And you wonder why you end up in flame wars with so many people? foreheadslap.gif

Look forget it, OK? I don't really want a fight, but...

We'll do a poll and if you want any input, which you previously did, and I previously thought wasn't a bad idea, as it would ensure balance, you can go play with yourself, OK?

And you wonder why you end up in flame wars with so many people? foreheadslap.gif

When did I wonder that? confused.gif

Look forget it, OK? I don't really want a fight, but...

Then what was the point of singling me out as the implied reason why the poll never happened? Do you honestly think your post was worded neutrally? No, you were goading me. The yeahok.gif at the end was a nice touch.

We'll do a poll and if you want any input, which you previously did, and I previously thought wasn't a bad idea, as it would ensure balance, you can go play with yourself, OK?

I can do that anyway. Do your poll. It's not up to me to stop you.

So please do me a favor and stop singing the doom and gloom song when you know absolutely NOTHING about my business sales and who they are to.

I know you keep records of every transaction and how much each customer has bought from you since inception. acclaim.gif

What I can't believe is that I read this whole *spoon* thread.