• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manufactured Gold

2,576 posts in this topic

•I couldn't find any mention of the McLaughlin Mile Highs on the site.

•The Crippen D page eventually sends you to a link of sales on Heritage.

•I have yet to see a photo of scan of a single Central Valley book in a slab.

Anyone?

•Also, site mentions Brian Peets has not decided how or when he will sell the collection.

Brad, no mystery here. I didn't have time to put up info on the McLaughlin books before Heritage ran the auction. Brian has gotten all of the Central Valley books graded, and the CGC grades are listed on my website next to each book. Do you need me to have Brian send you scans of each book so you'll settle down?

Brian has not decided how to sell the collection, although I think he may be considering letting a few books go here and there. When he's ready to put prices on the books, I hope to have those prices listed on the comicpedigrees page for everyone.

And let me burst the bubble for you guys now. comicpedigrees.com will be selling comic books on a regular basis for everyone who's interested. This is not a shill website for me to pass off pressed books, as I'm sure some of you will accuse me of. My partner Stephen Ritter and I (and Mark and West at CGC) are hard at work on the pedigree book, which should be coming out by next summer. This website is our brainchild, and we will be putting a lot of time and effort into expanding it in the coming years. The book is only the beginning.

Any pedigree news at all will be passing through our site. Whether it's just a mere mention of something (Metro's Mile High Pep run), or an entire collection for sale, it will be on the site. Just because I'm involved doesn't mean every book on the site is pressed. That's like assuming every book on Comiclink is pressed if you think Josh presses. But you are certainly welcome to inquire about any book you're interested in purchasing. I have always been willing to disclose that information when asked.

And let me save you some suspense. There will be D books, McLaughlin books, etc. showing up in higher grades everywhere in the future. There are all kinds of people buying these books who know the rules of the game, and will excercise their options if they want to. Like it or hate it, but expect it.

Very forthright response Mr. Nelson! acclaim.gifcloud9.gif

Someone accusing me of being forthright! Will wonders never cease! 893whatthe.gif

Anyone?

•Also, site mentions Brian Peets has not decided how or when he will sell the collection.

Brad, no mystery here. I didn't have time to put up info on the McLaughlin books before Heritage ran the auction. Brian has gotten all of the Central Valley books graded, and the CGC grades are listed on my website next to each book. Do you need me to have Brian send you scans of each book so you'll settle down?

Brian has not decided how to sell the collection, although I think he may be considering letting a few books go here and there. When he's ready to put prices on the books, I hope to have those prices listed on the comicpedigrees page for everyone.

And let me burst the bubble for you guys now. comicpedigrees.com will be selling comic books on a regular basis for everyone who's interested. This is not a shill website for me to pass off pressed books, as I'm sure some of you will accuse me of. My partner Stephen Ritter and I (and Mark and West at CGC) are hard at work on the pedigree book, which should be coming out by next summer. This website is our brainchild, and we will be putting a lot of time and effort into expanding it in the coming years. The book is only the beginning.

Any pedigree news at all will be passing through our site. Whether it's just a mere mention of something (Metro's Mile High Pep run), or an entire collection for sale, it will be on the site. Just because I'm involved doesn't mean every book on the site is pressed. That's like assuming every book on Comiclink is pressed if you think Josh presses. But you are certainly welcome to inquire about any book you're interested in purchasing. I have always been willing to disclose that information when asked.

And let me save you some suspense. There will be D books, McLaughlin books, etc. showing up in higher grades everywhere in the future. There are all kinds of people buying these books who know the rules of the game, and will excercise their options if they want to. Like it or hate it, but expect it.

Someone accusing me of being forthright! Will wonders never cease!

He's new here. gossip.gif

Anyone?

Maybe, but he's an old soul...

Anyone?

damn, i said he was being forthright about eight pages ago, so what's my excuse? confused-smiley-013.gif

Anyone?

damn, i said he was being forthright about eight pages ago, so what's my excuse? confused-smiley-013.gif

Sorry Sal! Didn't mean to leave you out. Okay, two people accusing me of being forthright! I smell a groundswell....

damn, i said he was being forthright about eight pages ago, so what's my excuse?

I would like to take the time to publicly thank you for getting away from this thread long enough smirk.gif to provide some insight on the "N D" books in the emails we exchanged this week.

Hopefully, with the threads I started today, we can get some more information from the owners of these great books and file it away for posterity.

damn, i said he was being forthright about eight pages ago, so what's my excuse?

I would like to take the time to publicly thank you for getting away from this thread long enough smirk.gif to provide some insight on the "N D" books in the emails we exchanged this week.

Hopefully, with the threads I started today, we can get some more information from the owners of these great books and file it away for posterity.

Thanks George. Maybe someone can start a list since there's only 200 or so books, and they have the markings.

Thanks George. Maybe someone can start a list since there's only 200 or so books, and they have the markings.

I'll be happy to keep a master list. thumbsup2.gif

Anyone?

No need for me to settle down Matt. The list above that you quote is a list of factual observations. I don't see a mention of "pressing" above, do you?

I'm always interested in connections and how things come to market. I was responding to Tim's reference that there was material regarding the McLaughlin books on your site, which is not true. No hint of conspiracy there.

BTW....have you seen any of the slabbed books?

And here again, is a chance to think outside the box. I think the following is a credible scenario....

1. Matt Nelson (as an example only) presses a book and offers it for sale.

2. In his auction, he discloses the fact that he himself did the work and he offers a 100% lifetime

guarantee on his work. He also carefully explains that the book was originally a toughly graded

9.4 and he applied some gentle localized pressing to help it reach it's current 9.6 grade.

3. The buyers looking at his auction receive all the available info on the book, are comfortable

bidding on the book, are assured that the work was done by a leading expert....and the book

returns a comfortable profit to Matt.

Result? Matt's happy. The buyer is happy. The "vast minority" who wish not to add pressed books to their collections can safely pass the auction by. The hobby is a better place for a more open transaction. And the blocks have been knocked out from under any conspiracy theories.

Unless there is an attempt at a real solution, I don't think this controversy is going away soon.

bumpit.gif

I still want to hear why this solution wouldn't work, or at least be the best one offered. Actually, it's the only solution I've heard other than "stop collecting". smirk.gif

Matt.....what about this wouldn't work for you? You'd have a distinct leg up on other sellers because as a recognized restoration expert, you're work would be an assurance to most potential buyers and not a concern.

What concerns me is the work of the backroom pressers, the dealers who do it at home and are far from knowledgeable about the longterm affects of their work.

Also, I'd love your comments on the posts above. thumbsup2.gif

Anyone?

No need for me to settle down Matt. The list above that you quote is a list of factual observations. I don't see a mention of "pressing" above, do you?

I'm always interested in connections and how things come to market. I was responding to Tim's reference that there was material regarding the McLaughlin books on your site, which is not true. No hint of conspiracy there.

BTW....have you seen any of the slabbed books?

I guess I don't understand your comment regarding slabbed CV books. As far as pressing goes, I know where the conversation was going to go eventually. May as well put my thoughts out there now. I'm sure you understand my reaction.

Brian had quite a few of the CV books in CGC holders at San Diego. He got the rest back some time after that.

And here again, is a chance to think outside the box. I think the following is a credible scenario....

2. In his auction, he discloses the fact that he himself did the work and he offers a 100% lifetime

guarantee on his work. He also carefully explains that the book was originally a toughly graded

9.4 and he applied some gentle localized pressing to help it reach it's current 9.6 grade.

3. The buyers looking at his auction receive all the available info on the book, are comfortable

bidding on the book, are assured that the work was done by a leading expert....and the book

Result? Matt's happy. The buyer is happy. The "vast minority" who wish not to add pressed books to their collections can safely pass the auction by. The hobby is a better place for a more open transaction. And the blocks have been knocked out from under any conspiracy theories.

Unless there is an attempt at a real solution, I don't think this controversy is going away soon.

bumpit.gif

I still want to hear why this solution wouldn't work, or at least be the best one offered. Actually, it's the only solution I've heard other than "stop collecting". smirk.gif

Matt.....what about this wouldn't work for you? You'd have a distinct leg up on other sellers because as a recognized restoration expert, you're work would be an assurance to most potential buyers and not a concern.

What concerns me is the work of the backroom pressers, the dealers who do it at home and are far from knowledgeable about the longterm affects of their work.

I'm not interested in doing that. Why doesn't someone else submit books to me for pressing, and do that himself? I don't really see the difference from the buyer's perspective. Shouldn't change the outcome.

I'm not interested in doing that. Why doesn't someone else submit books to me for pressing, and do that himself? I don't really see the difference from the buyer's perspective. Shouldn't change the outcome.

Give me 50 free pressing submissions and I'll do it. poke2.gif

bumpit.gif

I'm not interested in doing that. Why doesn't someone else submit books to me for pressing, and do that himself?

Maybe because nobody else here is claiming that no-one in the 'real world' gives a good about whether a book has been pressed or not? confused-smiley-013.gif

Y'know...money where your mouth is, and all that...

Give me 50 free pressing submissions and I'll do it. poke2.gif

I think you guys are forgetting that it's you who wants to do this, not me. In fact, Brent, you're the perfect person for the job since you're doing this already. Gather up a batch of books and let 'em fly.

I think you guys are forgetting that it's you who wants to do this, not me. In fact, Brent, you're the perfect person for the job since you're doing this already. Gather up a batch of books and let 'em fly.

Well, that's turning it on its head a touch.

I think that the point is, Matt, that you personally don't want to do it.

If you truly believe the claims that you've made in this thread regarding public perception of pressing, why wouldn't you?

What possible reason could you have? confused-smiley-013.gif

bumpit.gif

I'm not interested in doing that. Why doesn't someone else submit books to me for pressing, and do that himself?

Maybe because nobody else here is claiming that no-one in the 'real world' gives a good about whether a book has been pressed or not? confused-smiley-013.gif

Y'know...money where your mouth is, and all that...

Again Nick, it's you guys who want it. You put yer money where your mouth is, do y'know wha' I mean?

And I'm not the only person claiming this. But try convincing you of that....